Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gr8 1960's bands  (Read 4497 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Gr8 1960's bands
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »

I made a list of the eight greatest 1960's bands. They're not ordered according to my favorite groups per se, but I took into account several factors like impact, popularity and productivity. Of course, the unavoidable subjective factor is still there.

Note: I only considered the bands that essentially belong to the decade, as some highly important bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd started their career during the 60's but they are essentially related to the 70's.

1. The Beatles. No need to talk about the importance of the Fab Four, especially in a forum like this. I don't like when some fans talk about the Beatles as if they were the only innovative musical force of the 60's, but they were certainly the most important part of the musical revolution.

2. The Rolling Stones. They never were very innovative, and during 1966-67 they basically copied what the Beatles were doing. But they certainly distilled a lot of talent, and in terms of popularity they were second only to JPG&R. The Stones were also a very productive band, with lots of classics songs to be remembered.

3. The Who. They're actually my second favorite band, since I consider them as a more talented act than the Stones; but their popularity and productivity were considerably lower. Pete & friends were highly innovative and diverse, bringing the loudest sounds of their time.

4. The Byrds. Not the band you're looking for if you just want loud Rock 'N' Roll, but like them or not, their impact in rock music is unquestionable. If they didn't invent folk rock, at least they made it popular, and they were also pioneers of as opposed genres as psychedelia and country rock.

5. The Kinks. Not as remembered as British counterparts the Beatles, the Stones and the Who, but they did record some of the best music of the decade. They started recording several important singles and then they released an amazing string of classic albums from 1966 to 1971.

6. The Beach Boys. Certainly the major Beatles competition during the first years, and one of the main forces of the fundamental mid-60's. They never were the same when they lost the best Brian Wilson, but only some selected bands can get such a huge cult following.

7. The Doors. Hardly any other band constructed their big image on one outstanding figure the way the Doors did with Jim Morrison. The other members were capable but never instrumental virtuosos, and Jim himself was far from being the best singer. But all their albums with the whole band are very enjoyable and they managed to build an unique mystic.

8. Jefferson Airplane. They had what the Doors lacked: instrumental virtuosity and good singers; and their sound was as obscure and intriguing. But they never got such an strong figure to lead them to the top. Nevertheless, they're an essential 60's act and the major face of the San Francisco sound.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Gr8 1960's bands
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »

My top five 60's bands/artists: The Beach Boys, The Who, The Beatles, The Kinks and Bob Dylan.

I'll write more about them when I got some ideas.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:53:53 PM »

The Who

Oh man, the 'orrible 'Oo, the worst rock & roll group in the world. Joking aside, nobody ever came closer to creating such a perfect, often complementary balance between hard and soft. When the Who rock, they blow you away, atomic-bomb style. Likewise, when you get past the surface, you'll find that their songs carry so much emotion and sensibility that it's hard to believe the same jackass who smashes his guitar full-rage every night writes them. Incredible combination of personalities. Moon's drumming is as wild, reckless and exuberant as was his lifestyle. I didn't know the bass existed as an instrument before listening to Entwistle. Daltrey cemented the notion of what a front-man should be an do within a band, period. Townshend is God.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:56:17 PM by Ovi »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:59:23 PM »

The Kinks

The key to their music lies in its accessibility, both on a musical and lyrical level. Ray takes the most common subject matters and feelings, and gives them a poetic, picturesque spin like no other song-writer ever could. In the same line of thinking, Peter Buck talks in Rolling Stone about how he visited Muswell Hill expecting a gorgeous, romantic landscape as described in Village Green Preservation Society, but instead found a grimy one. The secret is not to go and seek for the places/feelings/characters Ray's singing about, but instead to associate them with your own world, with your own way of living, regardless of the time and place. That's why their music is and will always be timeless. On a melodic level, everything that came out of Ray's pen up until and including 1972 is catchy. The fact that they started to suck so badly in the mid 70's and continued to do so for a good couple of years shows that they were human.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:05:54 AM by Ovi »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »

The key to their music lies in its accessibility, both on a musical and lyrical level. Ray takes the most common subject matters and feelings, and gives them a poetic, picturesque spin like no other song-writer ever could. In the same line of thinking, Peter Buck talks in Rolling Stone about how he visited Muswell Hill expecting a gorgeous, romantic landscape as described in Village Green Preservation Society, but instead found a grimy one. The secret is not to go and seek for the places/feelings/characters Ray's singing about, but instead to associate them with your own world, with your own way of living, regardless of the time and place. That's why their music is and will always be timeless. On a melodic level, everything that came out of Ray's pen up until and including 1972 is catchy. The fact that they started to suck so badly in the mid 70's and continued to do so for a good couple of years shows that they were human.

Similarly Waterloo Sunset, which is a gorgeous song,  celebrates what was then a grotty rundown train station. Ray Davies was one of the best lyricists of the 60s.

He can still pull stuff out too. I love the song The Real World from Working Man's Cafe in the mid noughties. Good words and lovely melody

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:54:20 AM »

Oh man, the 'orrible 'Oo, the worst rock & roll group in the world. Joking aside, nobody ever came closer to creating such a perfect, often complementary balance between hard and soft. When the Who rock, they blow you away, atomic-bomb style. Likewise, when you get past the surface, you'll find that their songs carry so much emotion and sensibility that it's hard to believe the same jackass who smashes his guitar full-rage every night writes them. Incredible combination of personalities. Moon's drumming is as wild, reckless and exuberant as was his lifestyle. I didn't know the bass existed as an instrument before listening to Entwistle. Daltrey cemented the notion of what a front-man should be an do within a band, period. Townshend is God.

The Who always struck me very much as a band apart from the mainstream. They eschewed all the peace and hippy bead stuff of the late 60s. And,  I might be wrong, but while members of bands like the Stones and Beatles, Dylan etc used to hang out and jam and appear on each others recordings, I can't recall the Who members doing that as much. Might be just that I never noticed of course. I'm sure I'll be set straight if so. They always had a unique sound and their best was as good as anyone in the 60s/early70s got. 

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:20:07 AM »

I made a list of the eight greatest 1960's bands. They're not ordered according to my favorite groups per se, but I took into account several factors like impact, popularity and productivity. Of course, the unavoidable subjective factor is still there.

Note: I only considered the bands that essentially belong to the decade, as some highly important bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd started their career during the 60's but they are essentially related to the 70's.

1. The Beatles. No need to talk about the importance of the Fab Four, especially in a forum like this. I don't like when some fans talk about the Beatles as if they were the only innovative musical force of the 60's, but they were certainly the most important part of the musical revolution.

2. The Rolling Stones. They never were very innovative, and during 1966-67 they basically copied what the Beatles were doing. But they certainly distilled a lot of talent, and in terms of popularity they were second only to JPG&R. The Stones were also a very productive band, with lots of classics songs to be remembered.

3. The Who. They're actually my second favorite band, since I consider them as a more talented act than the Stones; but their popularity and productivity were considerably lower. Pete & friends were highly innovative and diverse, bringing the loudest sounds of their time.

4. The Byrds. Not the band you're looking for if you just want loud Rock 'N' Roll, but like them or not, their impact in rock music is unquestionable. If they didn't invent folk rock, at least they made it popular, and they were also pioneers of as opposed genres as psychedelia and country rock.

5. The Kinks. Not as remembered as British counterparts the Beatles, the Stones and the Who, but they did record some of the best music of the decade. They started recording several important singles and then they released an amazing string of classic albums from 1966 to 1971.

6. The Beach Boys. Certainly the major Beatles competition during the first years, and one of the main forces of the fundamental mid-60's. They never were the same when they lost the best Brian Wilson, but only some selected bands can get such a huge cult following.

7. The Doors. Hardly any other band constructed their big image on one outstanding figure the way the Doors did with Jim Morrison. The other members were capable but never instrumental virtuosos, and Jim himself was far from being the best singer. But all their albums with the whole band are very enjoyable and they managed to build an unique mystic.

8. Jefferson Airplane. They had what the Doors lacked: instrumental virtuosity and good singers; and their sound was as obscure and intriguing. But they never got such an strong figure to lead them to the top. Nevertheless, they're an essential 60's act and the major face of the San Francisco sound.

now just a cotton pickin minute Hombre !!

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Cream
The Hollies
Traffic
The Move
  ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 03:29:10 AM »

Not sure I would have Jefferson Airplane on my list (probably not the Byrds either). I would probably add Dylan, The Supremes, Zombies, CCR (although I hate them), or my persoanl favorite,,,the Buckinghams.

Just me though

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 04:10:04 AM »

Robby Krieger is a brilliant guitarist.  He was trained in jazz and flamenco guitar and brought rock guitar to new and unique levels while with The Doors.  The Doors was a club band with just one guitar, keyboards and drums.  Robby Krieger played rhythm and lead guitar during their performances.

Ray Manzarek was an accomplished pianist and keyboardist.  As The Doors lacked a bass guitar, he played the bass parts on a separate keyboard.

I consider both of them virtuosos on the instruments they played.

John Densmore is a pianist turned drummer.  He backed The Doors very well with fine, interpretive drumming.

There was a lot of improvisation in The Doors' live performances.  These musicians played as a single unit and sounded great doing it!
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:55:04 AM »

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Cream
The Hollies
Traffic
The Move
  ;)

All worthy additions but I have to confess a particular soft spot for The Move.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:34:21 AM »

Not sure I would have Jefferson Airplane on my list (probably not the Byrds either). I would probably add Dylan, The Supremes, Zombies, CCR (although I hate them), or my persoanl favorite,,,the Buckinghams.

Just me though

ha2ha

Here, Todd, maybe this'll make you like CCR more...

Apocalypse Now : Suzie Q - Carmine Coppola

That wasn't CCR, but who cares?!   ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:58:06 AM »

...or my persoanl favorite,,,the Buckinghams.

Here's my favorite of theirs...

Susan

THE BUCKINGHAMS susan

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

Here's my favorite of theirs...

Susan

THE BUCKINGHAMS susan

Gotta love a song where they can rhyme Susan with "loosin'" and "confusin'" all in the first verse.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »

I also have to add The Band which, even though I got into just in the last month or so, unquestionably belong in the list of great 60's bands. In fact, didn't Clapton and George Harrison enjoy the Music From Big Pink album so much that they actually asked to join the group in '68? I believe that's what I read.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »

Just me though

Great call tk, The Supremes were amazing. What a run did they have - great single after great single.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »

I would add The Zombies and CCR (I love them!)
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Cream
The Hollies
Traffic
The Move
  ;)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience (as a band) and Cream were highly important but short-lived to be considered.

Traffic was an amazing talented band, I especially love their first two albums, but their output during the 60's was also short.

I like the Hollies and they were especially huge in UK, but I would never consider them among the top 60's bands.

And I must admit that I know very little about the Move; I must do a research.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:52:26 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »

Just me though

I admit that the inclusion of Jefferson Airplane may belong to my subjetive finger, but when I talk about the 60's I feel forced to mention the San Francisco scene. Actually I would have put them a little higher, but I restrained myself and I put them in the last spot of the list.

Now the Byrds is the whole different history, put them higher or lower, but I would discuss to death that they should be mentioned among the greatest 60's bands, beyond personal tastes. I don't like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, but I would never question their importance in the 70's.

About Dylan, he's up there with the Beatles in terms of impact and importance, of course, but my list only included bands. I may put the Supremes in a different category, but it's fair to mention them. And you know how much I love the Zombies, I think they had everything a band needs to be huge, but for different reasons they couldn't trascend; they would have been there if I had done a list of favorites.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »

Robby Krieger is a brilliant guitarist.  He was trained in jazz and flamenco guitar and brought rock guitar to new and unique levels while with The Doors.  The Doors was a club band with just one guitar, keyboards and drums.  Robby Krieger played rhythm and lead guitar during their performances.

Ray Manzarek was an accomplished pianist and keyboardist.  As The Doors lacked a bass guitar, he played the bass parts on a separate keyboard.

I consider both of them virtuosos on the instruments they played.

John Densmore is a pianist turned drummer.  He backed The Doors very well with fine, interpretive drumming.

There was a lot of improvisation in The Doors' live performances.  These musicians played as a single unit and sounded great doing it!

When I say that the Doors were capable with their instruments, I really mean it, they certainly knew very well how to play them. But I don't know what you mean when you use the word "virtuoso"; to me, virtuoso is Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, not to mention Jimi Hendrix (could Robby Krieger have competed with them?). I enjoy Ray Manzarek and he was a basic ingredient in the Doors' sound, but he usually reminds me to an amateur circus keyboardist; I prefer Rod Argent or Steve Winwood much more. And I like John Densmore but he wasn't much more than an average drummer.

About Manzarek playing bass lines with the keyboard, I understand that it was only in their debut album; on their next releases they used a session bassist.

But hey, I did put the Doors among the greatest 60's bands, so I certainly respect them very much.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 02:48:27 PM »

I also have to add The Band which, even though I got into just in the last month or so, unquestionably belong in the list of great 60's bands. In fact, didn't Clapton and George Harrison enjoy the Music From Big Pink album so much that they actually asked to join the group in '68? I believe that's what I read.

Yes, the Band also deserves a mention; their first three albums were very important. Maybe they started a bit too late (1968) to put them at the same level than other essential 60's groups.

Other 60's groups that for different reasons I didn't include in the list but I recognize as substancial are the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Zombies, Love, the Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield, Cream, Simon & Garfunkel, Traffic, Grateful Dead, Spirit and the Animals.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:50:43 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.933 seconds with 84 queries.