Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: STARR TIME  (Read 6239 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
STARR TIME
« on: October 08, 2004, 01:15:16 AM »

ringo had a spot called starr time when he played with the hurricanes.i have been trying to email him,post to him and ask others for the playlists of songs featured in these these spots.all i have found so far are "Boys", "You're Sixteen", "Big Noise From Winetka", and "Alley Oop".if anyone else can direct me to the rest of them i would appreciate it.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
Re: STARR TIME
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 03:17:21 AM »

none of the drumheads could help?  Sorry I cant but maybe some of them know.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 12:42:13 PM »

you think they can research better than yours truely??????no they didn't help much.i figured alan could....

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 04:14:42 PM »

no, but hasnt Dorothy written a few letters to sir Ringo, or maybe Mark knows.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 05:40:14 PM »

we need to kidnap ringo and we'll get answers.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 05:42:45 PM »

or we could ask pete.......

LarryG

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 08:41:54 PM »

Tim, Ringo's vocals with Rory's band were limited in those days (as they were with the Beatles), so perhaps the songs you cite are the only leads he had pursued.  Starr Time was more a showcase for Ringo's drum solos than it was for his singing.

Interesting trivia:  A year after Ringo left the Hurricanes, they released their first single: "Dr. Feelgood," which no one on the planet bought, except Rory's Mom.  So in 1964, Brian Epstein of all people would produce the next single for Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.  No one bought that either.  The band started to literally die off shortly thereafter:

Guitarist Tyrone Brian in 1966 from complications during route appendix surgery.

Rory (real name: Alan Caldwell) in 1972 from a drug and booze overdose.

John Byrne (also known as Johnny Guitar) died in 1999, perhaps from illness or advanced age.

Only two ORIGINAL Hurricanes remain -- drummer Ringo and bassist Lewis Walters.  (Lewis actually had left the band before "Dr. Feelgood" was released.)  Coincidentally enough, only two original Beatles remain: drummer Ringo and bassist Paul.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 11:17:37 PM »

[quote by=LarryG link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1097198116,s=6 date=1097354514]Coincidentally enough, only two original Beatles remain: drummer Ringo and bassist Paul. [/quote]

Dont let Slick Rick read this.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 02:35:35 AM »

oh my rod larrys stirring up she-ite
where is maria when you need her?

LarryG

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 02:43:51 PM »

Uh oh....what did I say?

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 03:51:41 PM »

[quote by=LarryG link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1097198116,s=6 date=1097354514]Tim, Ringo's vocals with Rory's band were limited in those days (as they were with the Beatles), so perhaps the songs you cite are the only leads he had pursued.
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

LarryG

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 02:59:48 AM »

[quote by=Sadie4 link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1097198116,s=10 date=1097423501]

Wait a minute, I read somewhere that rory committed suicide when he saw the Beatles got famous while the Hurricanes couldn't

[/quote]

Well, he died via overdose; it was never officially pronounced a suicide.  But pills killed him.  Here's some background reading in case you're interested in learning more:

http://thebeatles.future.easyspace.com/mersey/rory/rory.htm

That said, there are unsubstantiated web sites that say a drug overdose equals suicide.  The likes of the late Chris Farley, John Belushi and Keith Moon could argue that point though.  The legal death certificate didn't say suicide.  But there are countless web listings that do.

So it could be up for debate.

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 05:38:58 PM »

Oh, OK, OK. Maybe that was it, drugs, as usual. Similar to what happenesd to Brian Epstein. Drugs killed him: accidental death or suicide? We'll never know...

slick rick

• Getting Better
  • bakers dozen
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 11:03:07 AM »

larry is anti pete........i thought that his mom died around the same time.
i heard it was a double suicide.....
i found this.....1972, depressed over heart problems and the recent death of his father, British rocker Rory Storm is found dead with his head in a gas oven ... Storm, born Alan Caldwell, fronted the Merseybeat group the Hurricanes who were regulars at Liverpool's Cavern Club and were perhaps most famous for once including a drummer named Richard Starkey.
i found this too...... but died under mysterious circumstances in September 1972. He was found dead in his house after combining alcohol with sleeping pills. His mother was also found dead in the home, leading to speculation that the pair had decided to commit suicide together.
i am still looking for more larry gee....
and another snippet...........Rory Storm ( Alan Caldwell ) - Died 9-27-1972 in Stormville, Liverpool, England - Overdose of sleeping pills in a suicide pact with his mother.
i will find more too.so larry beeware
well its saturday night and i just got paid

LarryG

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 10:23:31 AM »

Hi Rick,
Not anti-Pete....actually just fascinated by the list of drummers who had fleeting moments with the Beatles in the pre-Ringo days.  Pete just happened to be the last of the bunch.  Timing and fate could have gone another way, perhaps then making it Colin Hanton or one of the few others as the last, but it was Pete on the skins just before Ringo emerged.  With Pete, though sometimes a no-show when the Beatles played, we know his tenure endured more than his predecessors.  (In fact, his mother Mona was huge force behind the scenes for the Beatles.)  All that said, Ringo's longevity as Beatle drummer topped the combined tenures of all who came before him.  So again, not anti-Pete; just interested in the history of the sequence and timing. 

As for Caldwell, the internet has thousands of different articles -- with vastly unsubstantiated rumor.  The two more credible sources on this that I know of are these two links:

http://www.triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/a-z/rorystorm-hurricanes.shtml (see page 7)

http://thebeatles.future.easyspace.com/mersey/rory/rory.htm

At least both those articles go beyond the unsubstantiated innuendo.  Even so, I'm still not sure what's true.  But amid all the stuff on the Net, these stories come close to clarifying things a bit.  Thanks Rick.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 11:06:37 AM »

larry, bill harry is not a reliable source.i am sure that he would smoke screen any ill favorable news.
alan and his mom both died on the same day.
i think you need to find a non beatle related site to garner info.

LarryG

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 01:25:46 PM »

May be right on Bill Harry, but he cites public sources.  So who knows.  Anyway, I do have many non-Beatle sources on this topic; but all of them though reflect contrarian stories -- with only one other siting the double death of Ma Caldwell and son Rory.  All of them loaded with mostly hearsay.

If find something official, I'll post it.  I've actually been searching for additional credible material on this one for nearly two years now, but to no avail.  Rory has surviving siblings (sister (Iris), but no one in the Caldwell clan is talking.

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 02:39:34 PM »

But credible will depend on every person, won't it?

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 10:45:27 AM »

maybe police records.
hey end-of-alan,are public records available for public veiwing over there?
that could hold some answers.
only 2 years?i have looked for 10 at least.

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 79 queries.