Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Across the Universe Movie  (Read 11705 times)

McLennon

• Getting Better
  • There are 7 levels!
Re: Across the Universe Movie
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 11:05:04 AM »

of coursethe film doesn't come out anywhere but London here, otherwise I would have seen it! I downloaded the soundtrack though, it's quite good! I've just seen a face is great!
There are 7 levels!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 07:40:31 PM »

Quote from: 63
I read this review. Not everybody seems to be happy with this film:

That reviewer has a very negative way of looking at it. It was all in good fun the little jokes and references. Meant to be obvious. The actors did a great job. They were all charismatic and fun to watch. The images ring true to what was going on back then, and of course to sum up the sixties in a 2+ hour movie isn't going to be easy but I'd say Taymor did a pretty good job. It's better than most of the stuff I've seen lately. And I'm not easily impressed with anything involving Beatles. I thought for sure I'd hate it, but I didn't. But then everyone's different.

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 01:38:08 AM »

Quote from: 216
I thought for sure I'd hate it, but I didn't. But then everyone's different.

I thought for sure I'd like it, but I ended up hating it. The ONLY thing that made the movie worthwhile for me was the nice eye candy (Jim Sturgess), and even that got old 20 minutes into it. I read one review when the movie came out that mentioned that you would have to have experienced the 60s to really appreciate the movie, so maybe that's why I couldn't really get it into it. But I will say that the imagery was fascinating at times. The "Because" scene sticks out in my memory.

I took my friend with me in hopes that it would turn her on to the Beatles, and while she did love the songs, she is only interested in the soundtrack versions... so that completely backfired. She has no Beatles albums but regularly jams out to Evan Rachel Wood. Go figure.  >:( I wonder how many other people in the younger generation went and bought the soundtrack without bothering to explore further.
<br /><br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 02:34:27 AM »

Try not to worry too much, nothing_is_real. You never know when the seed will blossom. I don't know when my interest blossomed into mania, but it certainly lay fallow a while. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 07:31:21 AM »

Quote from: 800

I thought for sure I'd like it, but I ended up hating it. The ONLY thing that made the movie worthwhile for me was the nice eye candy (Jim Sturgess), and even that got old 20 minutes into it. I read one review when the movie came out that mentioned that you would have to have experienced the 60s to really appreciate the movie, so maybe that's why I couldn't really get it into it. .
'

Uh, I didn't experience the sixties just so you know. I enjoyed it because it was pretty well done. They didn't completely ruin the songs and I thought the storyline was interesting. Maybe the fact that I had really low expectations helped too. Anyway, I don't think you would have to have experienced the sixties to enjoy this. I mean, the events they portray are pretty much common knowledge to most people.

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »

Quote from: 216
'

Uh, I didn't experience the sixties just so you know. I enjoyed it because it was pretty well done. They didn't completely ruin the songs and I thought the storyline was interesting. Maybe the fact that I had really low expectations helped too. Anyway, I don't think you would have to have experienced the sixties to enjoy this. I mean, the events they portray are pretty much common knowledge to most people.

;D I didn't mean to imply that you were older than you are. And I realize that you don't have to be of that generation to understand the movie, just maybe to fully embrace it. For some people.

I happen to think the storyline was nothing but a giant cliche - which would have been okay if the musical performances had been decent. But most of them, particularly anything that was sung by Evan Rachel Wood, just made me cringe. That's just me though.
<br /><br />

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »

Quote from: 800
...I happen to think the storyline was nothing but a giant cliche...

Could anything better really be expected?

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 01:23:54 AM »

Most movies based on the sixties are cliche. I wasn't looking for this movie to be art of any kind. Anyway, I think it helped that I thought it would suck and that I'd be tortured throughout. I was surprised that I was actually entertained. I liked Sturgess and the other guy. I loved Bono's Kesey character and the Joe Cocker part completey surprised me. I had no idea he was in it. I thought he was awesome. So that was enough for me to be entertained. The worst part was Evan Rachel Wood. She's kind of dull. Most movies are crap anymore anyway but at least this one had decent songs.  :)

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »

Quote from: 843

Could anything better really be expected?

:P

totally agree, Klang.

I was THERE in the sixties, so naturally I revere my tangible and substantial memories of that era. I'm extremely proud of growing up in that period. I depise all these recent superficial attempts to "cash in" on the Fab . I find "Love" and "Across The Universe" prime examples of this.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »

Quote from: 829

totally agree, Klang.

I was THERE in the sixties, so naturally I revere my tangible and substantial memories of that era. I'm extremely proud of growing up in that period. I depise all these recent superficial attempts to "cash in" on the Fab . I find "Love" and "Across The Universe" prime examples of this.

We've had the conversation before. I really can't see either of your examples as being "superficial attempts to 'cash in'", One is just a movie containing a soundtrack of Beatles covers. So what. Like someone else said, one thing that might come out of that is new, younger Beatles fans. I know you didn't like the movie, but that shouldn't make a difference. And unless you want to accuse The Beatles of cashing in on themselves you can't really refer to Love in that way either. It was, after all, George Harrison's idea. And there doesn't seem to be anything superficial about it.

And Btw, I was also there in the 60's, but I don't see what difference that makes.

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »

Quote from: 483

We've had the conversation before.

yeah, we did...but as you notice, my comment was addressed to Klang, if I'm not mistaken. I reserve the right--as you do--to reiterate any of my formerly held opinions--since the subject was rehashed NOT by me, but by another poster.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 06:23:37 PM »

Quote from: 829

yeah, we did...but as you notice, my comment was addressed to Klang, if I'm not mistaken. I reserve the right--as you do--to reiterate any of my formerly held opinions--since the subject was rehashed NOT by me, but by another poster.

Blimey, excuse me for posting! So I'm allowed an opinion of what you said only if it's addressed to me? You made a statement on a public forum. PM Klang if you don't want anyone else to comment.

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »

"ATU" & "LOVE" are sore spots w/ me

(me, I'll just sit patiently waiting for LET IT BE to make it's "official" dvd debut rather than endure this god-aweful drek from Beatle parasites (directors & "producers")

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 04:23:39 PM »

I just saw this movie Sunday night and I loved it!

Warning: Minor spoilers.

I really had no idea what to expect. I knew that there were Beatles covers in the film, and that the story line seemed to be your standard boy-meets-and-loses-girl one, with the sixties as a backdrop. What I didn't realize is that it was a musical, and had all these inventive dance and imagery routines for the songs. For the first ten minutes I wondered what I had got myself into (and my innocent friend, who knew less about the film than I did).

Then they did the "With a Little Help from my Friends" number, and it was so playful and fun. THEN they did "It Won't Be Long" as a girl group. SOLD. I was completely onboard from that moment. We were both laughing as our heroine and her friends come in, answering "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" in their high voices. The Beatles totally should have been a girl group. My love blossomed from that point on.

From the selection of songs and the sequencing, it was clear to me that this movie was a labor of love. The way certain vocal embellishments in these well-known songs were given to a character to express his or her emotion at a particular moment was brilliant; nobody who didn't pore over their Beatles catalog could have come up with it. ("Come Together," "Hey Jude" and "All You Need is Love" spring to mind). I enjoyed all the various cover versions; hearing these songs performed afresh with such different voices and arrangements gave me a whole new appreciation for the songs.

I thought the idea of using Beatles songs to tell the story of the late sixties was clever. The point was not to come up with a dramatic plot. The whole film was an exercise to illustrate that the Beatles catalog could be used as soundtrack of the times. I think it succeeded brilliantly.

I don't know if this film is still playing where most of you are, but I wanted to share my delighted response with you. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »

I really enjoyed it. I think much of the criticism is because people are taking it too seriously. I mean, even the Beatles didn't take themselves too seriously all the time. Its a great escape with tasteful covers of the finest songs ever written. And if you want to see a really bad movie with Beatles covers, go no further than the Sgt. Peppers movie in the '70s. I think a little perspective is required here.
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »

Quote from: 1026
  Its a great escape with tasteful covers of the finest songs ever written.

indeed that is how it should be taken and if you can t bring yourself to it then just don't watch it.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »

two reel geezers with their review of "Across the Universe"  ;D

FySiMiHCGUo

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »

Quote from: 682
two reel geezers with their review of "Across the Universe"  ;D

FySiMiHCGUo

lmao very funny and entertaining

dabbik

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 07:48:18 PM »

I think it's a good movie:)

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »

I really wanted to see it but....I never got around to it. it comes out I think Feb.2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 92 queries.