Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Classic 60's songs: White Rabbit  (Read 8750 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Classic 60's songs: White Rabbit
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 03:56:09 AM »

You seem to give too much importance to having been close to those artists.

Well, in the 1960s there was no internet, no forums and no YouTube.  To hear music you went to concerts, listened to the radio, and played records. 

Many concerts were in small venues like Greenwich Village clubs.  You couldn't avoid being up close and personal with many of these artists.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 04:22:31 AM »

Well, in the 1960s there was no internet, no forums and no YouTube.  To hear music you went to concerts, listened to the radio, and played records. 

Many concerts were in small venues like Greenwich Village clubs.  You couldn't avoid being up close and personal with many of these artists.

That's great, HG. And I don't deny it would have been interesting to live such experiences. But I think I've got the best of the 60's without having been there: the music and the message.

Now the past is the past, with its triumphs and mistakes. So I don't wish to have lived that time. I wish to live the present taking the best from the past and giving my humble contribution to make a better future.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »

Now the past is the past, with its triumphs and mistakes. So I don't wish to have lived that time. I wish to live the present taking the best from the past and giving my humble contribution to make a better future.

Right.  We had our triumphs as well as our failures.  It's up to each succeeding generation to learn from them and advance civilization for the better.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 04:44:15 AM »

Right.  We had our triumphs as well as our failures.  It's up to each succeeding generation to learn from them and advance civilization for the better.

I feel your generation sowed a treasure; but they weren't mature enough to do the harvest. In fact, no generation after yours was able to do the harvest. Hope that can be done one day.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 05:39:23 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0YPwVfNZ6k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0YPwVfNZ6k</a>

Rotterdam Pop Festival  1970

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 05:57:41 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkyhuQz11ZE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkyhuQz11ZE</a>

Golden Gate Park

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 06:24:43 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2hBnlsdr8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh2hBnlsdr8</a>

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »

That's great, HG. And I don't deny it would have been interesting to live such experiences. But I think I've got the best of the 60's without having been there: the music and the message.

Hombre, don't forget the best thing about not experiencing the 60s as a teenager or young adult. It means we're younger  ;D

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »

Hombre, don't forget the best thing about not experiencing the 60s as a teenager or young adult. It means we're younger  ;D

Yes, that's true. But HG is younger than yesterday!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKLIrOGfUo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKLIrOGfUo</a>

;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »

http://youtu.be/rGEIMCWob3U

Ah, but I was so much older then.  I'm younger than that now.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »

I feel your generation sowed a treasure; but they weren't mature enough to do the harvest. In fact, no generation after yours was able to do the harvest. Hope that can be done one day.

Talkin' about my generation? Putting us down because we got around more than you?

We weren't sowing seeds for a future harvest. We were living for now.

Your generation seem to have become very conservative. "Hope I live to see the harvest" is not the same vision as "Hope I die before I get old".

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »

Talkin' about my generation? Putting us down because we got around more than you?

We weren't sowing seeds for a future harvest. We were living for now.

Your generation seem to have become very conservative. "Hope I live to see the harvest" is not the same vision as "Hope I die before I get old".

Why do you feel I'm putting you down? At least I didn't put your generation below other generations, because as I said, that harvest is yet to be done.

You say you were living for now, which is good, but you also had to take care of that treasure, and you failed there. That's why the dream of the 60's had an end. If the conviction of peace and love would have been stronger than doing drugs and free sex, then your influence on the world would have been much more substantial.

By the way, I'm not defending my generation because I don't feel represented by people of my age. And I believe "I hope I die before I get old" is referring to the mind, not the body; or at least that's my interpretation.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:37 PM »

Oh, and a conservative mind tends to be selfish, as those who don't care about constructing a better future. And a progressive mind not only sees the problem but also looks for a solution, for the present and the future.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:56:57 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 02:07:24 AM »

If the conviction of peace and love would have been stronger than doing drugs and free sex, then your influence on the world would have been much more substantial.

With that statement, you just demeaned our entire generation.  Those who did drugs and engaged in free sex were a small, apathetic minority.  Those of us with clear minds did much to effect change in the social and political environment in this country.  United States history bears that out.  We were very mature in our thoughts, demeanor and studies.  If you were around at the time you would have witnessed it firsthand.

As for your agrarian allegory,  it's not a very good analogy for our efforts at the time.  As I mentioned before, we had our successes as well as our failures.  It's up to each succeeding generation to learn from the mistakes made by the previous generation and advance the cause.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 02:29:53 AM »

Oh, and a conservative mind tends to be selfish, as those who don't care about constructing a better future. And a progressive mind not only sees the problem but also looks for a solution, for the present and the future.

I think you're unfairly generalizing and simplifying these two terms to the point of confusion.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2017, 03:00:16 AM »

With that statement, you just demeaned our entire generation.  Those who did drugs and engaged in free sex were a small, apathetic minority.  Those of us with clear minds did much to effect change in the social and political environment in this country.  United States history bears that out.  We were very mature in our thoughts, demeanor and studies.  If you were around at the time you would have witnessed it firsthand.

I'm sorry if you took it that way. I know such generalizations are wrong. And you know that I admire many things from your generation, not just the music. Such revolutionary ideas were also in the mind of young people from my country during those days. I'm just saying that something wrong should have happened if such ideas didn't develope to make a better world. See, now young people are not talking about peace and love; but many young people are still using drugs or living a promiscuous life. It seems that the best part of the 60's died and the worst part of the 60's remained.

As for your agrarian allegory,  it's not a very good analogy for our efforts at the time.  As I mentioned before, we had our successes as well as our failures.  It's up to each succeeding generation to learn from the mistakes made by the previous generation and advance the cause.

I think the analogy is good, because your generation brought good ideas, but most of them didn't remain afterwards. But here I'm not doing a particular critique of your generation; I'm talking about the failure of the whole humanity, the one I also belong to.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2017, 03:08:32 AM »

I think you're unfairly generalizing and simplifying these two terms to the point of confusion.

I was answering to zipp, who seemed to say that I have a conservative mind. I said that his position was more conservative than mine, because he seemed to detract the work for a better future. And I said that a progressive mind works for both a better present and a better future. Please, explain me what's wrong about that.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 03:26:23 AM »

I don't share your dismal outlook on humanity, Andres.  Speaking for myself, I studied hard in school for many years and completed my surgery training at age 32.  Along with my contemporaries we developed innovative surgical techniques to treat people with disfiguring skeletal abnormalities and more recently, neonates with birth defects and various syndromes.  Friends of my vintage who I did research with went on to help develop the field of bioengineering.  I can go on but suffice it to say we made a huge impact on healthcare.  I can only discuss specifics and realities.  I'll leave the discussion of intangibles to others.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2017, 03:37:07 AM »

Hey, I also studied hard for many years. I'm a food engineer and have a doctorate. And now I work as a scientist to improve the nutritional value of foods. I also work in my church helping people with spiritual and material issues. I do know good people exist, contributing to make a better world. But if we think that less than 100 people own more than the half of the richness of the world, then we must understand that we are failing as global society, just because we allow such injustice in a world where hunger still exists in a big proportion.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:39:47 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 04:01:19 AM »

I'm aware of wealth inequality in this world.  I'm also aware of the generous wealthy who contribute hundreds of millions of dollars each to medical centers.  Perhaps you should study those figures.  Your view of humanity might improve.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.857 seconds with 80 queries.