Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Across the Universe Movie  (Read 11704 times)

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
Re: Across the Universe Movie
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 03:59:40 AM »

I love love LOVE Across the Universe.
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »

Hello, Harlena McStarkney! Welcome back. :)

I loved it, too. I wrote a couple of bouncy reviews for it somewhere on this site. I hope you enjoy your return!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »

Quote from: 551
I just saw this movie Sunday night and I loved it!

Warning: Minor spoilers.

I really had no idea what to expect. I knew that there were Beatles covers in the film, and that the story line seemed to be your standard boy-meets-and-loses-girl one, with the sixties as a backdrop. What I didn't realize is that it was a musical, and had all these inventive dance and imagery routines for the songs. For the first ten minutes I wondered what I had got myself into (and my innocent friend, who knew less about the film than I did).

Then they did the "With a Little Help from my Friends" number, and it was so playful and fun. THEN they did "It Won't Be Long" as a girl group. SOLD. I was completely onboard from that moment. We were both laughing as our heroine and her friends come in, answering "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" in their high voices. The Beatles totally should have been a girl group. My love blossomed from that point on.

From the selection of songs and the sequencing, it was clear to me that this movie was a labor of love. The way certain vocal embellishments in these well-known songs were given to a character to express his or her emotion at a particular moment was brilliant; nobody who didn't pore over their Beatles catalog could have come up with it. ("Come Together," "Hey Jude" and "All You Need is Love" spring to mind). I enjoyed all the various cover versions; hearing these songs performed afresh with such different voices and arrangements gave me a whole new appreciation for the songs.

I thought the idea of using Beatles songs to tell the story of the late sixties was clever. The point was not to come up with a dramatic plot. The whole film was an exercise to illustrate that the Beatles catalog could be used as soundtrack of the times. I think it succeeded brilliantly.

I don't know if this film is still playing where most of you are, but I wanted to share my delighted response with you. Cheers!

I LOVE IT TO. not only because of the songs, and I admit I was born in the 90's so I can't really say that there were no "cliches". but I think that the songs were well sung and well placed. it made sense. (except I didn't really care for ERW/Lucy)
however some of the songs were to...changed.
other than that I couldn't really disagree with it. some parts brought a tear to my eye I must admit. :'( ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:39 AM »

I loved it when I saw it, but I don't know if I could watch it again. Other than the parts with Joe Cocker and Bono that is. I DO want to see LOVE again. I might have to talk someone into taking me again for my birthday. It was just so awesome.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:40 AM »

Quote from: 216
I loved it when I saw it, but I don't know if I could watch it again. Other than the parts with Joe Cocker and Bono that is. I DO want to see LOVE again. I might have to talk someone into taking me again for my birthday. It was just so awesome.

you mean for Cirque Du Soliel?
that's still going on?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 03:26:22 AM »

Quote from: 977

you mean for Cirque Du Soliel?
that's still going on?

Yeah. The Mirage has invested a lot of money into it. The theater, the Beatles store, the Revolution lounge. They've got a whole Beatles theme going on there. Plus I think it's doing VERY well. Those Beatles are good for business!

BeatlesAreLove

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 03:44:45 AM »

I also enjoyed it quite a bit, and like some people I also didn't know what to expect but I thought it was well "put" if you know what I mean.

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »

I thought i'd weigh in...

When i heard this was happening i was apprehensive about the whole thing. and i can at least say i didn't HATE the film..

I was rather indifferent... the covers were hit or miss but when they hit they were great.. really the best part of the film... my problem with the whole thing was it didn't seem to warrant an entire film.. i didn't care at all for these characters or the story they were commiting to film so it begged the question as to why do it in the first place.. the performances were fine.. but most of my reservations seem to be more an aversion to musicals than this film... i just didn't think this film was very good despite some great art direction and music.

I was pleased in a way that this film left me so indifferent, had it been better i might have been conflicted hahahahah :P rather i'm left with something that pales in it's execution, message, and power and only seemingly matches some of the style without the real substance of the work and time that inspired it.. a superficial homage that was a guilty pleasure to watch but will be forgotten just as quick.. some highlights of things i would have loved to see is more of the imagery in relation to the story... on "I Want You" when they used Uncle Sam i thought that was excellent... but using song titles like 'she came in through the bathroom window" when she does just that made me ill...

Overall i was glad i didn't see this film in theatres.. a poor film using great music in a different and fairly tasteful way.. but lacking some of the "cool" factor.. that The Beatles would have had... the film was slick and stylish.. but wasn't hip in the way that even LOVE was.. or any of the beatles releases.. it just shows that the Beatles are sooo much cooler than anything out there.
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »

I didn't see it in the theater because when I saw the commercials for it, it irritated me that other people were singing the Beatle songs.  I was thinking "Why would I want to go pay money to hear other people sing Beatle songs when I know they won't do a good job?"  However, after reading this thread, I think I will go ahead and get the DVD.  I will post back with my thoughts and opinions.

I will be going next month to the Love show in Las Vegas and I will also report back on that.  I don't think that show is going anywhere, Mirage is making way too much money.  The tickets are still crazy high years later.  And im still crazy enought pay it  8)
<br />

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 01:54:25 AM »

I liked this song because they got the music to fit. For me it wasn't really about how they portrayed the time period but the characters felt real like it could really happen. Plus the music Rocked!!

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2008, 10:03:20 PM »

Quote from: 977
I liked this song because they got the music to fit. For me it wasn't really about how they portrayed the time period but the characters felt real like it could really happen. Plus the music Rocked!!
^^^^^^^I finally saw the movie last night and I LOVED IT!!!!  Excellent job with the songs and the songs fit into the story lines.  I was, too, kinda apprehensive about seeing it, since I'm a Beatles' "puriest" and can't even imagine anyone else singing their music.  But this movie changed my mind.  Very well done.  I rented it thru Netflixs and I'm gonna buy the DVD tomorrow to add to my collection.

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 03:47:55 AM »

same for me, but I fell in love too. I refuse to buy all the Beatles "tribute" cds, but I honestly had to rush out and get this soundtrack. My boyfriend bought me the special edition dvd for our anniversary, and I watch is as often as he'll let me!!! (hate to admit it, but my bf isn't big on the Beatles, he doesn't even like them :-( !)
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »

Good for you!!!  I don't buy the Beatles' "tribute band" stuff either, but I do like to see some tribute bands when they roll into town.  The best one I've ever seen is when we went to Branson, MO, and saw "Liverpool Legends"..........and they're managed by George's sister, Louise..........great band.  We had a blast.  My husband even got up on stage with them to sing "Birthday" because it was November and his birthday is that month.....

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »

sweet, do they tour or just stay Brandson?
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »

Go to their website, LiverpoolLegends.com, and check out the dates they play.  They mostly play Spring thru November in Branson, and then maybe play some private gigs elsewhere.  The guys that "play" Paul and George are too cute!!!!
Oh............and I bought "Across the Universe" today.  I'm gonna make the hubby watch it this weekend.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 08:01:14 PM »

I had very mixed feelings about whether to see this movie or not. For one thing I just don't like people redoing Beatle songs, especially women. But I had so many people ask me if I saw it yet and I'm like no, then they react shocked so I might just see it. Pluse, Jim Sturgess is a very handsome man! So if all else fails, he'll keep me interested!

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »

^^^^You got to watch it.  I had the exact same feelings you did until I braved it and watched it.  It's a great movie................and the actors/singers do give justice to the Beatles' songs.  You won't be disappointed.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:53 PM »

Yes, Jim Sturgess has a nice face factor going. The story is just an excuse to play a lot of Beatles songs. I for one loved the way they did most of these covers. They sounded so fresh. It made me feel happy that these songs have got a future; they can appeal to each generation going forward.

In fact, in my YouTube journeys today I just read a comment from a schoolgirl saying how the movie led her to the Beatles, because she got curious and wanted to hear the originals. Now she's hooked! That's the fantastic thing about a new adaptation; it can bring new fans in to the source, and help them discover the richness there. For me, the movie helped me hear the songs in a new way, which made them seem all the more alive and well.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »

Believe me, that is the best way to get today's younger generation interested in the Beatles.  At my son's school, the 6th grade class are going to put on a performance of the song "Yesterday" for a talent competition next week.  And their "Beatle Lady"...me...will be there to see it.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »

I want to rent it, I think I'm going to.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 92 queries.