Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Quiet Beatles ? Don't think so  (Read 2164 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
The Quiet Beatles ? Don't think so
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:11:45 AM »

gjXzTYExSLU

Everytime i see an interview George is always the wittiest and most talkitive, how did he really get hit with this tag, did they just run out of things when they got to him ?

Paul - The cute one
Ringo - The Clown
John  - The Witty/Clever one
Geroge - The Quiet one     The Funny one

BlueMeanie

Re: The Quiet Beatles ? Don't think so
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »

It's all down to the media having to put a label on everything/everyone. We had a thread like this before, and I think I came up with The Spice Girls as an example. They didn't come up with those names, the press did.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »

If you go to my site www.merseybeat.co.uk you will see a cover of George. I did a cover of Mersey Beat at the beginning of August, 1964 featuring each individual member. Then I had to think of a brief tag to put above each photo. I wondered how to describe John and I eventually tagged in 'Literary Beatle', for Paul I put 'Songwriter', for Ringo 'Loveable Beatle' and for George I put 'Quiet Beatle.' I don't know whether this was the first time he was referred to in this way. Certainly I hadn't seen it anywhere before, although it may have been. I'm just curious to see whether or not it was me responsible for him being called that.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »

And what was your reason the put that tag on George, Bill?

I always thought that it had to do with the fact that George was the one who got fed up first with the idiot questions they were asked over and over again.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

Quote from: 483
It's all down to the media having to put a label on everything/everyone. We had a thread like this before, and I think I came up with The Spice Girls as an example. They didn't come up with those names, the press did.

Lol it was probably me, i have a habit of starting threads then forgetting to check back  ;D ;D ;D

That would be great to find out though if the tag stuck after you're feature on them  :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »

I thought of George being the quiet Beatle because that was often the case when I was with them over the years from the days at the art college, through the Jacaranda gigs, the local gigs, the tours, TV and radio appearances etc.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 02:00:58 AM »

Quote from: 1062
I thought of George being the quiet Beatle because that was often the case when I was with them over the years from the days at the art college, through the Jacaranda gigs, the local gigs, the tours, TV and radio appearances etc.

So there we have it ... George WAS the quiet Beatle!

He changed later on, but for posterity Bill Harry has set the record straight how that got started.

Thanks, Bill!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 02:59:33 AM »

Well obviously the press based the nicknames on something. They didn't just pull them out of their butts. Apparently. Paul, cute, uh yeah. And so on. I mean, it's not all made up and gossip. Believe it or not. People have become so cynical anymore.  

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »

In many books the contemporaries say that George was very quiet, rather shy and reserved when they were still in Liverpool, when they were young, and the name stuck.

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 57 queries.