Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bands that made only one album (one shot bands)  (Read 8023 times)

nimrod

Bands that made only one album (one shot bands)
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:46:52 AM »

Midnight Circus (self titiled album)

I absolutely love this very rare album (worth a fortune on vinyl) and would love to give a copy to someone in the CD swap (have a feeling Todd Baz & possibly Hombre would like it)
Midnight Circus were essentially the folk-rock-with-psych-tendencies duo of Christian Bollmann and Torsten Schmitt, who made just the one self-titled album in 1972. Between them, they shared the vocal and acoustic guitar work, with Bollmann adding recorder and trumpet (notably the solo on longest and best track November Church) and various guest musicians filling out the sound.
Midnight Circus is good with several of the songs operating in ‘meandering and slightly stoned’ mode  ha2ha
A very obscure and difficult to locate album produced in Germany in the early 70's.
The album does venture out into a tougher rock sound at times while at others it will float on a bed of mellotron sound which hazily recalls the sound of early King Crimson or The Moody Blues. A very interestibng and rare album which is well worth a listen.
Amongst the album’s guests was Veit Madaus on keys, who played instantly-recognisable Mellotron strings on I Had A Dream, with less obvious brass on November Church.

a taster (brilliant stuff);

Midnight Circus I Had A Dream 1972

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Bands that made only one album (one shot bands)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »

Yes, I would love a copy of that. I'm digging it.

A band called Epic had an album released in 2003 called 'Sunshine State' that I really like. It all has a 'Revolver' Beatle feel to it with a side of Beach Boys. I wish they released some more stuff, but this was it. I guess its pretty obscure because Youtube doesnt even recognize it. Here's an Amazon link that has some snippets of the songs, but thats the best I could do (until the Cd swap that is).

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-State-Epic/dp/B0000CEP62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345180918&sr=8-1&keywords=epic+sunshine+state

nimrod

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:21 AM »

had a feeling you'd like it Todd

and your Epic sounds very interesting, this is great I get excited about hearing new stuff and I have loads of stuff by bands like Midnight Circus that Id like to share with you guys :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »

Yes, I would love a copy of that. I'm digging it.

A band called Epic had an album released in 2003 called 'Sunshine State' that I really like. It all has a 'Revolver' Beatle feel to it with a side of Beach Boys. I wish they released some more stuff, but this was it. I guess its pretty obscure because Youtube doesnt even recognize it. Here's an Amazon link that has some snippets of the songs, but thats the best I could do (until the Cd swap that is).

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-State-Epic/dp/B0000CEP62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345180918&sr=8-1&keywords=epic+sunshine+state

This is very weird, I own a CD that has exactly these songs (in fact, I took it with me to work today), but this isn't 'Sunshine State' by Epic, but 'A Headful of Stars' by The Sails!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »

Mystery solved:

What a shame this album is, whilst it is released as the Sails latest offering and is full of cracking songs it is in fact a very lazy effort from the band. This 12 track album is made up of 3 new songs, one of which is a 40 odd second instrumental so for me it doesnt really count and 9 songs taken from the Sails front man Michael Gaglianos old band Epic's Sunshine State album. Its such a pity as Gagliano is a great songwriter/musician and his Epic albums Sunshine State and Black Hole Vertigo and his Sails self titled debut album prove this so why palm us fans off with re-hashed previously released material. Come on Michael put pen to paper, get in the studio and give us our money's worth, i.e a full album of new material.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »

Mystery solved:

Wow. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info Joost. Now i'll have to go digging some more.

Crazy you have the same CD though. I thought I was the only one.  ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »

Well sh*t, like Joost posted, Epic has another album called 'Black Hole Vertigo' (which i'm ordering now) so my addition is bogus.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »

Wow. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info Joost. Now i'll have to go digging some more.

Crazy you have the same CD though. I thought I was the only one.  ha2ha

Same here. I love that album. Almost every song sounds like it could have been a hit in the mid or late 60s.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:12 AM »

I've mentioned this band before in this forum, but it's the best example I can think about: The United States Of America. They released just one album, in 1968.

The United States of America - The United States .. (1968)[FULL ALBUM]
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:44 AM »

Midnight Circus (self titiled album)

I absolutely love this very rare album (worth a fortune on vinyl) and would love to give a copy to someone in the CD swap (have a feeling Todd Baz & possibly Hombre would like it)
Midnight Circus were essentially the folk-rock-with-psych-tendencies duo of Christian Bollmann and Torsten Schmitt, who made just the one self-titled album in 1972. Between them, they shared the vocal and acoustic guitar work, with Bollmann adding recorder and trumpet (notably the solo on longest and best track November Church) and various guest musicians filling out the sound.
Midnight Circus is good with several of the songs operating in ‘meandering and slightly stoned’ mode  ha2ha
A very obscure and difficult to locate album produced in Germany in the early 70's.
The album does venture out into a tougher rock sound at times while at others it will float on a bed of mellotron sound which hazily recalls the sound of early King Crimson or The Moody Blues. A very interestibng and rare album which is well worth a listen.
Amongst the album’s guests was Veit Madaus on keys, who played instantly-recognisable Mellotron strings on I Had A Dream, with less obvious brass on November Church.

a taster (brilliant stuff);

Midnight Circus I Had A Dream 1972

I'm digging it as well. Interesting stuff. I'll be looking for that record.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:22:57 AM »

I've found Midnight Circus and listened to it two times. I really liked it. At places the music style somehow reminds me to the Who's Tommy. And the flutes of the last songs give them a South American feeling; they remind me to this song:

Arco Iris - Sudamérica

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »

The La's

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »

I've found Midnight Circus and listened to it two times. I really liked it. At places the music style somehow reminds me to the Who's Tommy. And the flutes of the last songs give them a South American feeling; they remind me to this song:

Arco Iris - Sudamérica

Ah yes Hombre one of my favourite Argentinian bands the great Arco Iris, that track is from their Manana Campestre album and yes I can see the similarities to Midnight Circus, they made some great albums (my favourite being Los elementales) but I believe they now are more new age and mellow jazz direction.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 01:46:44 AM »

Ah yes Hombre one of my favourite Argentinian bands the great Arco Iris, that track is from their Manana Campestre album and yes I can see the similarities to Midnight Circus, they made some great albums (my favourite being Los elementales) but I believe they now are more new age and mellow jazz direction.

Mañana campestre by Arco Iris is actually a brief compilation album released in 1979 with some of their best known songs and including several non-album singles. The collection certainly includes the song "Sudamérica", but the track was originally released in the concept album Sudamérica o el regreso a la Aurora in 1972. Mañana campestre has a nice album cover, by the way:

About the album Los elementales, I know it was made after Gustavo Santaolalla left the group, but I haven't listened to it. I'm more familiar to their classic period (1969-1974), when they were leadered by Santaolalla.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »

Well sh*t, like Joost posted, Epic has another album called 'Black Hole Vertigo' (which i'm ordering now) so my addition is bogus.

Apparently, Michael Gagliano (the guy behind Epic/The Sails) is currently starring in a Beatles theatre show:

http://www.letitbelondon.com/
http://www.letitbelondon.com/cast/michael-gagliano/

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 67 queries.