Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Obscure rock records for 60's addicts  (Read 15949 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Obscure rock records for 60's addicts
« on: August 28, 2011, 06:06:57 PM »

As a 60's fan, I always look for obscure rock albums from that time, and of course sometimes one can meet with records that turn out to suck. However, that seeking can also bring rewards like finding really good obscure albums. The following albums are some examples, which I recommend you to listen to if you didn't.

The United States Of America (1968). The only album by the band of the same name, it's an amazing rarety. Very experimental but still fun. As a curious detail, there's no guitar in the record, but it's replaced by other electric instruments and sounds so that you won't notice it. Highlights include "Hard Coming Love", "The Garden Of Earthly Delights", "Where Is Yesterday" and the funny Kinks-influenced "I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar".

The United States of America - Hard Coming Love

Nazz (1968). The debut album of the same named band, commanded by a teenager Todd Rundgren. The sound is not very original, it's mostly a rip-off of other 60's acts, but if you like bands like Cream, the Yardbirds (actually the name of the band came from their song "The Nazz Are Blue") and the Who (the album even starts with the same intro of "I Can't Explain") you will enjoy it a lot. The best songs are the great opener "Open My Eyes" and the magnificent ballad "Hello, It's Me", but the whole record is worth to be heard.

The Nazz Open My Eyes (HQ)

Love - Four Sail (1969). Love is now a relatively well known band, especially because of their cult album Forever Changes. However, Four Sail seems to be ignored even by rock critics, and one can understand why: at this point only Arthur Lee stayed from the original lineup of the band. But the record itself is really good. The sound is wilder than the three classic albums of the band, with several acid rockers that seem to be inspired by Cream and Hendrix ("August"; "Singing Cowboy"; "Robert Montgomery"), but there was also space for a gentle tune that would have fit in fine on Forever Changes ("Always See Your Face").

Love - 07 - Robert Montgomery

Now you can recommend other obscure 60's records that I might not have heard.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:08:45 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

Re: Obscure rock records for 60's addicts
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »

English band that would become Gentle Giant, Simon Dupree was a nice band, they made just the one album I think.

simon dupree & the big sound

Bare Wires by JounMayalls Bluesbreakers has always been a particular favourite, brilliant line up, Mick Taylor on Gibson Les Paul, Hiseman on drums, just fantastic

JOHN MAYALL - Bare wires - Where did I belong

more to come  :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »

Thanks nimrod, didn't know about those albums, interesting music.

On the other side, here's a rare record that I took notice because of its great psychedelic cover, but I wasn't much impressed by the music.

The Other Half - Feathered Fish .

The interesting thing about that song is that it was written by Arthur Lee. Actually it seems to be a carbon copy of "Seven And Seven Is".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:10:47 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »

THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN

I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE - AND I BRING YOU........!
Back in 1968 the smash hit single "Fire" sounded like nothing else at the time, i wore my copy out but only recently got round to buying this amazing album (better late than never!!). The original vinyl sounds fantastic if you can get hold of a good copy, though the reissued CD sounds ok. On it there are mono versions of the first five tracks which sounded rather different and lacklustre to me, especially "Fire". The stereo versions are quite different and sound normal, all the songs on the album still sound amazing. Produced by Who knob-twiddler Kit Lambert (Pete Townshend was associate Producer) and the keyboards and arrangement skills of Vincent Crane, this album holds a very special place in rock/prog history.

"Prelude - Nightmare" introduces the listener to Arthur Brown's wonderful vocals and Gillan- style screams, the fire/horror theme and story carries through with "Fanfare-Fire Poem", and the aforementioned hit "Fire" - "you're gonna BURN!!!!!". "God brother - you lie!"....."Come and Buy" continues the story starts with a slow plodding tempo which breaks into a typical 60's style rock rhythm, "come and see....come and buy..". This track has many interesting little motifs and signatures throughout, including a great brass section, very 60's sounding indeed. This is followed by a similar sounding "Time/Confusion", which includes half sung, half spoken vocals, backed by organ, strings and a glockenspiel, ends with a reprise of "Fire!" The next track is an all-time favourite standard of mine "I Put A Spell On You", there are some brilliant versions of this song, most notably by The Alan Price Set in 1966, the Arthur Brown version here is no exception, and includes some fine keyboard playing from Vincent Crane who you all know went on to form "Atomic Rooster". "Spontaneous Apple Creation" is another half sung/spoken song which includes some interesting lyrics about strawberries, three million people, confused devastation..... and apple creation! "Rest Cure" was released as the B- side to "Fire", a good song different to the mood of the album but fits in ok nevertheless. "I've Got No Money" is another track that seems disassociated with the theme of the album, but it's not a bad song. The last song "Child of the Kingdom" has a catchy piano "riff" if i may call it that, the song is a the longest track on the album and seems like a blues/jazz jam, and features all the musicians, including those who can whistle! It has some interesting keyboard effects here and there, and a very catchy chorus. Overall a very listenable album and for its musicianship, ideas and importance , essential.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »

Sounds like this Arthur Brown is a Frank Zappa kind of guy!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »

Carl Palmer was the drummer for Arthur Brown.

I like the Simon Dupree tune and I want to check out more. The United States Of America is one of those bands thats been on my to do list for a long time and i've just never bought it. Will remedy that soon.

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »

this was awesome;

The Nice - America 1968

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:44:15 PM »

Thanks nimrod, didn't know about those albums, interesting music.

On the other side, here's a rare record that I took notice because of its great psychedelic cover, but I wasn't much impressed by the music.

The interesting thing about that song is that it was written by Arthur Lee. Actually it seems to be a carbon copy of "Seven And Seven Is".

and the cover reminds me of Forever Changes

KelMar

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 03:24:06 AM »

this was awesome;
The Nice - America 1968[/url]

I remember this! I didn't think I knew it until I listened just now. My brother was really into Yes, Rick Wakeman, etc. so I am sure that is where I heard it.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 03:52:04 AM »

and the cover reminds me of Forever Changes

Yeah, that's true!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 04:02:14 AM »

Not real obscure, but a few I dig.

COLLECTORS-

The Cryan Shames THE SAILING SHIP from 1967 Psychedelic Rock

Lazy Smoke - All These Years.1968

Those were obscure for me. There's still a lot of great 60's music out there to be listened.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 04:05:50 AM »

The United States Of America is one of those bands thats been on my to do list for a long time and i've just never bought it. Will remedy that soon.

I think you'll like the record beyond a couple of "Revolution 9"-like excesses (though much more listenable!). Here're some other songs from that album:

the United States of America-the garden of earthly delights

United States Of America - Where Is Yesterday (1968)

The United States of America - I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife for You, Sugar

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 04:53:55 AM »

Those were obscure for me. There's still a lot of great 60's music out there to be listened.

I wasnt sure. 'Lydia Purple' by the Collectors (Chilliwack before they were Chilliwack) was pretty popular back in the day. 'The Cryan Shames' are pretty well know even if that song is a bit rare. 'Lazy Smoke',,,,,,yeah, they would be obscure.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »

I wasnt sure. 'Lydia Purple' by the Collectors (Chilliwack before they were Chilliwack) was pretty popular back in the day. 'The Cryan Shames' are pretty well know even if that song is a bit rare. 'Lazy Smoke',,,,,,yeah, they would be obscure.

I still have a lot to learn, haha.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »

I still have a lot to learn, haha.

Don't we all?  ha2ha

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »

not very obscure

but a darned fine album by The Small Faces

nimrod

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »

they were a great band, better than the later Faces IMO, Marriots voice was as soulful as it gets

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm having a hard time finding an Obscure album for 60's addicts! I know that TINY TIM does not suite me very well! Take care.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.729 seconds with 87 queries.