Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Hello, Goodbye" used for TARGET COMMERCIAL!  (Read 11635 times)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
Re: "Hello, Goodbye" used for TARGET COMMERCIAL!
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 02:03:25 AM »

Quote from: 218
At least they didn't use the original for the stupid Target ad.

Damn you Michael Jackson!

^^^^^^I know............saw that in the '80's...........that's that darn "Jacko" 's fault...........
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 02:08:38 AM »

i just dont like it when they RUIN the songs! the originall songs would be OK, i guess, but the redone versions freak me out!
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »

Target'. as we say down here...............(my husband works for the Target warehouse here in town, and I worked there, too, when I worked)............had to do the song a little more "modern-trippy" sounding, I think.

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 08:18:53 AM »

Target will never amount up to The Beatles.
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

Spier

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »

I think a Beatles song is not to be exploited for any kind of commercial. The Beatles saw each of their songs as a personal/group statement. Such is not to be used to sell tennis shoes, toilet paper, or even rolls royce automobiles.

I am not sure who owns their song catalogue right now, but I really think this commercial use is in poor taste. All the more so, considering that the meaning of the songs does not relate in any way to the products advertised.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 05:52:07 PM »

Absolutely agree with the above clever post.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

Agreed, Spier.  That's why the late Neil Aspinall saw to it that none of this would ever happen..........."cheapens the Beatles' image" as Neil once put it.........

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »

I think the Target commercial is cute.  It brings the song to the attention of two new generations....

So what's wrong with that........?  ;)
I can stay till it's time to go

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »

Quote from: 1371
I think a Beatles song is not to be exploited for any kind of commercial. The Beatles saw each of their songs as a personal/group statement. Such is not to be used to sell tennis shoes, toilet paper, or even rolls royce automobiles.

I am not sure who owns their song catalogue right now, but I really think this commercial use is in poor taste. All the more so, considering that the meaning of the songs does not relate in any way to the products advertised.

Sorry, but that made me smile. The Beatles and exploitation? Never! Now3 where is my Beatle ash tray, lunchbox, wig, square inch of bed sheet (personally authorised off course), pencil case.......
The Beatles practically invented exploitation when it comes to popular music.
don't follow leaders

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »

I don't like that it isn't the Beatles singing the song, but I do like that it does open the door for the new generation to discover the Beatles.
I saw one comercial with the Jonas Brothers singing Hello Goodbye for a Target commercial, that I wasn't to fond about.

The Come and Get It song was used for a Department store, like Lazaurus or, Macy's or Kauffman's something like that. I remember seeing it to. But it wasn't the Beatle version.

That Pizza Hut comercial cracked me up. But I wonder what they are going to do with two drummers?

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »

Still i don`t think it is a good idea to use Beatles` songs in commercials and make them associated with pizza or shampoo, which inevitably will happen in that case. They should connect to our spiritual not material nature. They could be used for soundtracks, for example. As for Beatles bags, ambrellas and ash trays, that`s ok, there`s no harm in it. Maybe because these are personal things, which one loves.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

We were at Target today, checking out the LCD HDTV's.............we did buy one........and on all the display models, "Hello/Goodbuy" version was playing.............

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 02:04:01 AM »

It's makes me upset when they try to be "cute" and make it into "goodbuy" versus the original lyric.  Otherwise I don't have much of a problem with it.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 05:34:50 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed..............

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »

Has anyone read what Lennon said about this song? "Three minutes of contradictions and meaningless juxtapositions."  ::)

Personally, I think he knew better. He was just annoyed it got the A side. I Am the Walrus is a GREAT song, but this song obviously hits a chord with people in a different way. It gets tremendous radio play and now with this commercial it's taken on a whole new life. It's a great pop song that's lasted over forty years.

I think it's easy to criticize songs like this by turning to the whole music snobbery attitude of every song having to be "deep" and meaningful. But in the end, I think it's just jealousy. Having a gift for melody is nothing to turn your nose up over. And again, I think Lennon really knew that deep down. Sour grapes.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »

I have just written in another thread that the song I Am The Walrus appeals to you more the more you listen to it. It gets into your head and sticks there and becomes your obsession. I know a lot of people who admit to their surprise that the greatest Beatles` song for them now is Walrus!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »

Quote from: 1393
I have just written in another thread that the song I Am The Walrus appeals to you more the more you listen to it. It gets into your head and sticks there and becomes your obsession. I know a lot of people who admit to their surprise that the greatest Beatles` song for them now is Walrus!

I LOVE I Am the Walrus, but I think Hello Goodbye is a bit more accessible to non-Beatle fans. It's just pure pop. I was mainly addressing one of Lennon's bitter rants towards Paul's "lighter" side. I really think it was jealousy on some level. Has Paul ever criticized a Lennon song? That would be interesting to know. I have no idea.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:08 PM »

I think you can read Hello Goodbye in different ways. Recently I've begun thinking about it as being sung from the point of a view of a guy who can't accept that his girl is leaving him. On the other hand, maybe I'm overthinking it. nd as I've mentioned before, I have a strong dislike for I Am the Walrus.

In any case it doesn't deserve to be cheapened in this way.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

I was sitting in the bank yesterday, having some funds transferred around, and I look up on the plasma TV the bank has on the wall and what do I see.........the Jonas Brothers doing "Hello/Goodbuy" for Target................sacrilege!!!!!

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »

Quote from: 668
I saw one comercial with the Jonas Brothers singing Hello Goodbye for a Target commercial, that I wasn't to fond about.  

Yeah, that just adds insult to injury. Jonas Brothers are NOT the next Beatles! Kids at my school keep saying "Oh, they're just the second Beatles" What are they talking about??? They are not anything like them, save for the fact that loads of young girls have crushes on one (or more) of them. I feel like one of my older teachers when I tell them that the JB are
NOTHING like the Beatles. What the HELL has the world come to? (bigeyes2)
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 88 queries.