Solo forums > John Lennon

God

(1/4) > >>

DarkSweetLady:
I'm not sure where to start, or how to phrase my "question". Because everytime I listen to one of John's profound songs, like 'God', and I think about it, and try to analyze it, I always get a headache.

What I think I'm trying to get at is I was lsitening to God just now and I realize it's so different from his opinions and emotions in Imagine. You have one John saying I'm a dreamer, you're a dreamer, let's be one. Then you have another John saying, I was this, but now I'm not, I respect you all, but go on with your life and let me get on with mine.

What are all your  takes on this?

And one more question, why did John include the people and things he did in 'God'? Some are obvious, but others are not. What do you think?

*This thread is meant to cover a wide range of subjects so speak your mind, I want to hear all of your opinions.

Penny Lane:

--- Quote from: 668 ---I'm not sure where to start, or how to phrase my "question". Because everytime I listen to one of John's profound songs, like 'God', and I think about it, and try to analyze it, I always get a headache.

What I think I'm trying to get at is I was lsitening to God just now and I realize it's so different from his opinions and emotions in Imagine. You have one John saying I'm a dreamer, you're a dreamer, let's be one. Then you have another John saying, I was this, but now I'm not, I respect you all, but go on with your life and let me get on with mine.
--- End quote ---

I think John was a very complicated man.  I was listening to the "Imagine" album a while back and was struck by his contradictory attitudes in his lyrics.  For example, you have the song "Imagine", which is about the world being "one" (as you say); it's like a plea for collective peace and understanding among humans.  Then you have other songs like "Crippled Inside" and "How Do You Sleep?" which are biting and rather antagonistic--not exactly peaceful, you know?  And it strikes me as amusing that so many people use "Imagine" to represent their idea of "John the peace-loving martyr" but they seem to overlook his more bitter and angrier works.

I'm glad John isn't easy to understand, though, and that he's not as one-dimensional as some people make him out to be.  There are so many facets of his personality and songs, and it just makes him all the more interesting as a person.

aspinall_lover:
John WAS the most "complicated" one of the Beatles.  That is why he has always been my favorite.  He can go from one feeling to another with the "bat on an eye".

tkitna:
I think sometimes John sang for who we wanted him to be and other times he sang for who he really was.

DarkSweetLady:
^^ I like your answer tkitna :)

Yes, John was very complicating. These two songs show that perfectly. It is like, right when you think you know John, he does soemthing completely different. Never a dull moment with that man, probably why he was, and continues to be, so popular.

It is interesting to hear the things and people he lists and the end of 'God'. Anyones take on this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version