News:

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87928 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Books
« Reply #440 on: September 28, 2017, 01:05:02 AM »

The phasing out of cursive writing is one of the most shortsighted moves in education today (along with Common Core). Handwriting is such a big part of a one's personality and learning to write in cursive was always a rite of passage. I remember how exciting it was in second grade to start learning to write like the grown ups. I couldn't wait to "have all my letters" and be able to finally sign my name and get my library card. My first graders were the same way, especially the girls. Aside from the status it imparted it's an important eye/hand coordination excercise and can be useful in detecting learning disabilities. Eventually, people aren't going to be able to read historic documents. Anyone interested in genealogy will have the same problems I have with records written in Swedish! As for the techie stuff, I have concerns about what all the screen time might be doing to developing brains. Studies have shown a decrease in reading retention when people read with electronic devices, especially for people who learned to read with books. Apparently the physical interaction is an important part of the experience. I really do enjoy technology; it's a big part of my job and my life in general, but I'll never give up books!

We learned how to write cursive in third grade.  I was getting kicked out of class a lot starting around then after I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  As a result, I became good at lower-case script letters but I objected to upper-case letters, especially the letter Q which looked like a 2 but with some stupid loops on it.  So I wrote script using cursive lower-case and printed upper-case letters.  The teacher kept marking me wrong with a big red X (printed, not cursive) on each exam I took.  I proceeded to mark her wrong for each printed X she put on my exam with a cursive capital X in puple and handed it back to her.  She finally got the point and didn't bother me with that crap anymore.

I still write in script the way I did in third grade but my penmanship has deteriorated commensurate with my profession.  :)
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #441 on: September 28, 2017, 01:13:36 AM »

Awww; I missed it!  :(

I'll remind you next year, Kathleen.  But please put it on your calendar.  National Punctuation Day is an important day for you.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #442 on: September 28, 2017, 03:01:20 AM »

To help you remember, Kathleen...

I used an ellipsis above.  And here...

:)

KelMar

« Reply #443 on: September 28, 2017, 04:14:09 AM »

I still write in script the way I did in third grade but my penmanship has deteriorated commensurate with my profession.  :)

That bad, huh? I never understood the upper case Q either.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: September 28, 2017, 04:35:30 AM »

The cursive upper-case G was pretty dumb too.

I think kids today would enjoy learning how to write in script if the subject matter was presented to them in an interesting fashion...and they're not assigned The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to read until after they've learned to write in script.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #445 on: September 29, 2017, 03:02:04 AM »

My sister used to be a pharmacist (now she's in research), and I used to ask her, how on earth do you decipher some of these prescriptions? She said they get used to it and if it's really incomprehensible, they call and ask.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #446 on: September 29, 2017, 03:50:44 AM »

My sister used to be a pharmacist (now she's in research), and I used to ask her, how on earth do you decipher some of these prescriptions? She said they get used to it and if it's really incomprehensible, they call and ask.  :)

I salute your sister, Kathleen, for being able to make sense of what we write.  There have been times I've asked my staff "What did I write here in this chart?"   ;D

I've got to admit it's getting better since I moved to EMR (Electronic Medical Records).  But I can't type because I got kicked out of my seventh grade typing class (that's a whole other story which I won't go into now).  And so I dictate my notes using Dragon Medical Practice software for transcription.  I dictate so neatly!   ;D

KelMar

« Reply #447 on: September 30, 2017, 03:21:07 AM »

One of my best friends is a pharmacist and I asked her the same thing. She just laughed.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2017, 03:03:03 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: October 01, 2017, 03:03:45 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #450 on: October 01, 2017, 03:07:38 AM »

KelMar

« Reply #451 on: October 01, 2017, 04:09:48 AM »

Don't worry Barry; we can read your typing just fine!  ;)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #452 on: October 01, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »

Don't worry Barry; we can read your typing just fine!  ;)

maybe you can..

Its upside down for me  :(
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: October 02, 2017, 12:32:57 AM »

Try doing that, Kev.  It should help.   ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #454 on: October 03, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »

I've got to admit it's getting better since I moved to EMR (Electronic Medical Records).  But I can't type because I got kicked out of my seventh grade typing class (that's a whole other story which I won't go into now).  And so I dictate my notes using Dragon Medical Practice software for transcription.  I dictate so neatly!   ;D

Yes, as a patient I like to be able to at least know the names of the medications I'm being prescribed before I actually have them in hand. Then I can Google them and terrify myself reading about the potential side effects. ;)

P.S. Those cartoons you posted were hysterical.  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #455 on: October 04, 2017, 12:59:20 AM »

Yes, as a patient I like to be able to at least know the names of the medications I'm being prescribed before I actually have them in hand. Then I can Google them and terrify myself reading about the potential side effects. ;)

;D

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #456 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »

This could have been in the Various Artists thread but I put it here lol. Just finished a great rock book called '1971 - Never A Dull Moment' by British music writer David Hepworth. He opines in very convincing fashion that 1971 was musics golden year with so many top songs and albums released.

When you go through the list its very hard to argue:
Who's Next
Sticky Fingers
All Things Must Pass
Led Zeppelin IV
Tapestry
Every Picture Tells A Story
Imagine
Concert For Bangladesh
Ram
The Man Who Sold The World to name a few. Plus songs like American Pie etc

Very entertaining read for me as I turned 9 that year and had discovered the Beatles and rock in general, and i recall hearing songs like American Pie, Maggie May, Imagine and My Sweet Lord on the radio. We are also taken through world events of the year and it is a top narrative.

The author states that..'I was born in 1950, which means in terns of music, i have the winning ticket in the lottery of life'.

KelMar

« Reply #457 on: November 03, 2017, 02:01:53 AM »

^^^
Sounds good so I just ordered from the library system.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #458 on: September 19, 2018, 11:49:52 PM »

I just finished The Perfect Storm; it was riveting! I probably could have done without the medical description of drowning, but the book was brutally honest.

It was, of course, better than the film, although I liked that as well.  :)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #459 on: September 20, 2018, 01:57:26 AM »

Just re-read 1984, for about the 10th time in my life
I will now re-watch the movie.
The book is so absorbing, and so is the story of Orwell and the circumstances surrounding its writing.

Its a terrific read for anyone who hasnt, to say life in Orwells 'Oceania' was bleak is an understatement.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52wis_sLT1I" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52wis_sLT1I</a>
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Page created in 0.689 seconds with 77 queries.