Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Are you ashamed to be a Beatles fan?  (Read 10620 times)

Wayne L.

Are you ashamed to be a Beatles fan?
« on: March 12, 2005, 10:13:33 PM »

I was made to feel ashamed to be a dedicated Beatles fan when I was growing up by some of my stupid relatives from both of my parent's sides of the family for no reason at all as well as by some of my classmates who graduated in 82 but some of them are bums now anyway.  In the South being a Beatles fan isn't too cool to this day I think which is ridiculous but most of my classmates didn't have a clue what was happening in the 70's with Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Kiss & Skynyrd personally speaking so not being into the Beatles wasn't too much of a shock to me. My crazy relatives as in my father's nephews & nieces & my mom's aunt's son took my love of music & turned it into an insult during my youth like I didn't have a clue what I was talking about concerning the Beatles, Stones & anything else when I was just trying to start a conversation but I was made to feel ashamed to be a rock fan/music fan.  BTW, my mother's aunt's son gave me a Bad Co. tape back in 82 like I just discovered them or something which p*ssed me off on the inside.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Are you ashamed to be a Beatles fan?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 11:02:45 PM »

now hang tough j r now lets answer the man...i have never been embarassed or ashamed to be a beatles fan.anyone that talks bad about them has no clue.
i was talking to some guy that hated john lennon.i asked why?he told me john was a draft dodger.i told him john ain't even a u s citizen.to which he said really?.
igonorance wayne is all it is.to hide the fact you enjoy something is cowardly.. are you scared wayne???or should i say scared still?

manon

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 11:11:01 PM »

I never thought it could be possible to be ashamed to be a Beatles fan...

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 11:21:46 PM »

Quote from: pc31
now hang tough j r now lets answer the man...

I have never been ashamed to be a Beatles fan, even when it wasn't cool when I was a kid, I just figured that the others didn't get it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »

Never! There was a time though when I felt like I had to prove to my friends that I DID like other music other than the Beatles! Like any Beatle thing that would come up they would look at me. I was like, I'm OVER that okay! I wasn't, but I didn't want them to think I was still obsessed. It got annoying.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 11:30:13 PM »

i know j r its wayne who is ashamed of us.hey wayne why won't you be seen in public with us????
i think shame is kinda a caucasian hang up ain't it?ior is it more religious?i don't shame easy.but thats just me....

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 11:31:14 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
now hang tough j r now lets answer the man...

I have never been ashamed to be a Beatles fan, even when it wasn't cool when I was a kid, I just figured that the others didn't get it.

Yeah, in high school when it was all Van Halen and AC/DC, I wore a Beatles shirt. I remember one kid saying 'The Beatles?' Like I was crazy. (he always wore the stupid giant VH shirt) I just said, 'They're good'  He had no come back other than "Yeah, I guess."  I know I've told this stupid story before. I'm getting like an old man repeating myself.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 11:33:05 PM »

is it because we are black wayne?????lol

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 11:40:01 PM »

i know j r its wayne who is ashamed of us.hey wayne why won't you be seen in public with us????
i think shame is kinda a caucasian hang up ain't it?ior is it more religious?i don't shame easy.but thats just me....

Well PC, we're gonna have to make you to wear one of those big ol' pointy Magical Mystery Tour dunce caps, stick you in a corner, and let you do some serious thinkin', son.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 11:42:53 PM »

ok i deserve that....how long this time?????

Wayne L.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 11:51:03 PM »

now hang tough j r now lets answer the man...i have never been embarassed or ashamed to be a beatles fan.anyone that talks bad about them has no clue.
i was talking to some guy that hated john lennon.i asked why?he told me john was a draft dodger.i told him john ain't even a u s citizen.to which he said really?.
igonorance wayne is all it is.to hide the fact you enjoy something is cowardly.. are you scared wayne???or should i say scared still?

I don't think I said I was ashamed to be a Beatles fan at all as I remember pc31, I said my relatives & some classmates made me " feel " ashamed to be a Beatles fan.  

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 11:55:58 PM »

is there a difference?????

Wayne L.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 12:04:03 AM »

is there a difference?????

I know there is.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 12:09:32 AM »

is not to feel ashamed to be ashamed wayne????

Wayne L.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 12:15:54 AM »

is not to feel ashamed to be ashamed wayne????

I'm NOT ashamed to be a Beatles fan, do you understand?  As I said before my stupid relatives & classmates made me feel ashamed because I didn't.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 12:21:18 AM »

I'd be ashamed to be ashamed if you understand that.

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 12:29:03 AM »

Quote from: tkitna
I'd be ashamed to be ashamed if you understand that.

It's too bad MOST of you don't get what I'm saying about my relatives & my classmates making me feel ashamed to be a Beatles fan but it's not my problem.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 12:31:54 AM »

Your right Wayne, we are having some difficulty understanding you. Instead of saying its not your problem (although you brought it up), why dont you attempt to better explain yourself?

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 12:40:38 AM »

I grew up in the South too.  But I never felt the anti-beatles thing Wayne did.  I guess Nashville always had a respect for the Beatles--especially the writers from the 60s on here.  The Beatles are gods in Nashville.  there's band called the Del-Beatles which has some great writers.  Dylan recorded here and some people remember that.  There's a left-wing element of Nashville (from John Prine to Steve Earle) that has always appreciated the Beatles.  

The Beatles also did some c&w stuff which got them appreciated around here.

This is not to say that mainstream country "got" the Beatles.  I will say that Emmylou Harris did a nice cut of "For No One" (produced by Brian Ahern, who put in a bridge).  

There is one funny story.  A friend of mine helped out on George Jones Bradley's Barn album which paired George with a bunch of different players--including Keith Richards.

Keith is a big fan of George's, but when they met, George apparently asked Keith about "this outfit" he was with.  Apparently George wasn't up on the Rolling Stones.  

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 12:47:21 AM »

ok i deserve that....how long this time?????

I think two complete listens (through headphones) of the entire ONOBOX collection should be fair pennance for your sins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 75 queries.