Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Please Please Me  (Read 35985 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Please Please Me
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 12:55:03 AM »

OK, it looks like There's A Place was written before Misery.  Paul said the song was based on There's A Place For Us which he heard on a West Side Story LP he bought.
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 01:04:59 AM »

Todd, let me know if you'd like your Beatles under the microscope threads to be moved to "Albums."

Makes no difference to me. I guess it could since the albums are getting reviewed as wholes. Whatever you think.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »

i got dibs on this thread's frequent flyer miles  ha2ha ha2ha ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »

Ok, they're both moved to Albums.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 03:15:28 AM »

i got dibs on this thread's frequent flyer miles  ha2ha ha2ha ;D

Wow, that was nerve-wracking.  On the way the paper bag was on my knee, man I had a dreadful flight.  I was just hoping I was clicking on the right buttons to do that and that the entire threads wouldn't disappear!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 03:31:22 AM »

'Please Please Me' does not have harmonica (What are you smoking, Gary...???) It is a mouth organ. Slightly different. I wish I could find the reference, but there is speculation out there that Ringo did not play drums here or on 'Ask Me Why'.

For what I know, Ringo played drums in both songs. At least that's what is said in all the sources I saw.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 03:40:42 AM »

Wow, that was nerve-wracking.  On the way the paper bag was on my knee, man I had a dreadful flight.  I was just hoping I was clicking on the right buttons to do that and that the entire threads wouldn't disappear!

and a fine job you did HG, I salute you  ;)

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 04:22:35 AM »

-
so HG . . .  are you a 'mod'?........................or a rocker?
(answer - BOTH !)  ha2ha
  ;yes well done sir
-
(i think as the beatles albums get progressively more interesting -> so will the microscope threads !  :D )

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 05:59:32 AM »

(i think as the beatles albums get progressively more interesting -> so will the microscope threads !  :D )

Yeah, I agree. The earlier songs and albums are a tough read due to their simplicity sometimes.

KelMar

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »

@babyit'syou - the bbc version is a far better vocal take in my opinion. check it out

I agree! There is just something about that BBC album overall that is really special
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:30:34 AM by Bobber »

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:58 AM »

I'm not a big fan of "Please Please Me" but I have to admit :
-"Twist and Shout" is Lennon's voice at it's best.Pure brilliance.Love the song, it always puts me in a good mood. John should've used that voice more often in my opinion.
-"I Saw Her Standing There" is pure rock n' roll. An all-time classic in my book. I like pretty much everything about it.
-"Please Please Me", "Anna", "Baby It's You" - all fine songs, nothing much to say about them. They're good Lennon tracks.

Except for these 5 tracks, I don't really like any other songs on PPM. They are some pretty good ones, but they do nothing special to me.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »

i have a couple of highlight songs on PPM.....'p.s i love you' is a personal fave of mine,lovely tune.i also like the title track of the album,the other songs are good on the album as a whole i feel............i do actually like PPM as an album,i think it's the best one up until help!but then again i could be a little biased,as it is my dads' favourite beatle album and i was introduced to it early on in my childhood/teenage years.PPM always brings to mind that john,paul,george and ringo had had their noses pressed up against the sweet shop window for so long,then somebody unlocked the door and just said 'help yourself lads'.lots of laughing,smiling fun,energy,and some good songs that still get rated 50yrs on.not bad...................
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »

I think 'A Hard Days Night' is their first real great album. 'PPM' is a nice introduction, but with all the covers and some weak originals, it doesnt hold up as well for me.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »

I think 'A Hard Days Night' is their first real great album. 'PPM' is a nice introduction, but with all the covers and some weak originals, it doesnt hold up as well for me.

Same opinion here.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

Same opinion here.
i can appreciate that,like i say i think it's because there is a big soft spot for the album from my angle.i would agree on the hard days night opinion.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »

for me, Hard Day's Night launched them into the stratosphere but PPM honors their bar-band roots

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »

-

I dont agree nyfan, as I said before about Misery, if you really think about the early songs they are in many ways very interesting musically with all sorts of things going on, they might sound simple but in a lot of cases they are intriuging.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »

I dont agree nyfan, as I said before about Misery, if you really think about the early songs they are in many ways very interesting musically with all sorts of things going on, they might sound simple but in a lot of cases they are intriuging.
the early songs are excellent and superior musically in many respects. i don't think alot of bands today could actually do what the beatles did on their first few albums, they had musical integrity and weren't out just to make a buck or shout some trashy lyrics at their reality-addled/complacent audience. interesting point about sounding simple to simple ears, it's just like some people get peppers, some don't. there is nothing in-between really.
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »

Right.  And their early songs are historically important as many were innovative.  I think we'll see this again and again as the microscope threads continue through their albums.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.894 seconds with 86 queries.