Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Charity? Concerts...  (Read 1830 times)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
Charity? Concerts...
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:09:36 PM »

George basically invented the charity concert... he helped out Bangladesh and it totally was a non-profitable event...

i was watching this one show and it was like the fabulous life of celebrities or something... and they said whenever a group or singer performs at a charity concert they get $33,000+ of gifts ....

it's like nothing is just to help people anymore... they all do it just to get something more...

Dose anyone else feel this way?

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
Re: Charity? Concerts...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »

Its the sign of the times im afraid D.S.L. , i think most bands who do charity concerts think its a good career move ,
As for GEORGE he did bangla desh just to save lifes and nothing else mattered .
Wallflower Has Blossomed

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »

I was just watching that concert today, for my lunch break. :) Marvelous show, what great energy. It was startling and yet so right how George ended it, leaving the band cooking on BanglaDesh while he just waved and walked offstage. His whole attitude was saying, "It's not about me." Amazing man.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:38:05 AM »

About this "George invented charity concerts" thing.
Sorry but all the acts at Monterey Pop festival performed free with all the profits going to charity.
Now here's a huge irony - only one act received payment that day - Ravi Shankar, the cheeky bugger. Go figure.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »

Quote from: 185

Now here's a huge irony - only one act recieved payment that day - Ravi Shankar, the cheeky bugger. Go figure.

Did he really get paid? What a bastard. I never got into that indian music anyways and this is just another reason to dislike it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »

Makes you wonder if he claimed his expenses for Concert For Bangladesh?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »

George didn't "invent" charity concerts; they'd been around in some form for some time. What he did that everyone acknowledges was unique was pull together a superstar set, which in this case even played together as a band, to promote some cause and raise awareness to an issue. That he did unquestionably, and it pressured Western govts to re-examine their stance on the East Pakistan problem. Even from the beginning, Harrison considered the money secondary, although he raised $250K from the gate that was instantly sent to Unicef for relief, and $45 million (or more) eventually followed through sales of the CD and movie showings.

The  Monterey Pop festival  was indeed the first real rock festival ever held, but to call it a charity in the same sense is misleading. The point was not to raise money or awareness (patrons paid a nominal $1 fee), but to get together and listen to groovy music for 3 days while stoned. The only reason the Monterey Pop festival turned into a "charity" is because the original organizer was muscled out by the follow-up organizers in a Hollywood takeover. Derek Taylor, the publicity director, tells a pretty amusing account of it in his book "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" (which is now, of course 40 years ago). All bands had their expenses paid, which is also unlike Bangla Desh. I assume Ravi got paid because he was the original act the first organizer hired (before it was turned into a "charity", which meant, don't pay the performers), and he had a signed contract for his participation.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 02:26:45 PM »

how dio you know he got paid... i don't think he did i mean his family was in bangladesh...

i did like the way george left the music playing and just left... my sister was like that's nice how he just left and didn't say good-bye so i had to tell her pretty much what you just said...

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »

Aw, thanks, DSL! Your sister and I are in sync.

I just looked up the  Monterey Pop festival on Wikipedia, and they say Ravi was paid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival
Since Wiki is not always reliable, I like to verify their entries somewhere else to be sure. But I really like them to just to get a quick overview of some topic.

We ought to put a picture of George, to celebrate his accomplishment:

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »

maybe george paid him b/c his family was in Bangladesh and he felt bad...

oh ... my sister didn't understand why he just left she thought it was mean... but i convinced her it wasn't

8)

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 61 queries.