Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inauguration Day  (Read 6310 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Inauguration Day
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »

We're getting way excited at my school. We'll all be watching in our classrooms. Two of my students are going to it! Lucky. The list of performers performing at the pre-inaugural day concert seems to be growing too. Guess everyone wants to be a part of it. What's up with Bono though. Are we gonna get to hear him pontificate on behalf of the rest of the world now? He's getting on my nerves lately actually. Sort of self serving. Like his godchildren's parents Angie and Brad.  

Bono, Bruce in Inaugural Concert
By
Roger Catlin
 on January 12, 2009 2:53 PM | Permalink | Comments (2)

Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Garth Brooks, Beyonce and Mary J. Blige are some of the performers in the pre-inaugural concert event at the Lincoln Memorial Sunday afternoon that will be carried exclusively later that day on HBO.

Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, John Legend, Usher, Shakira, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, John Mellencamp, Jennifer Nettles and Heather Headly will be also part of the two hour event, titled "We are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial" running this Sunday at 7 p.m. on HBO, which will make its signal free to all receiving cable or satellite.

Jamie Foxx, Queen Latifah, Martin Luther King III will read historical passages. The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson will give the invocation. More performers will be announced as they are confirmed, a press release today said.

The televised event, taken from the afternoon event earlier in the day, will be produced by people behind "The Kennedy Center Honors," various Olympic ceremonies and "The American Film Institute Salutes."

Greenwich native Rob Mathes will be music director and arranger for the backup band that will support all of the artists.

The event itself held Sunday afternoon is free and open to the public.

January 20
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Inauguration Day
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »

Quote from: 216
We're getting way excited at my school. We'll all be watching in our classrooms. Two of my students are going to it! Lucky. The list of performers performing at the pre-inaugural day concert seems to be growing too. Guess everyone wants to be a part of it. What's up with Bono though. Are we gonna get to hear him pontificate on behalf of the rest of the world now? He's getting on my nerves lately actually. Sort of self serving. Like his godchildren's parents Angie and Brad.  

Bono, Bruce in Inaugural Concert
By
Roger Catlin
 on January 12, 2009 2:53 PM | Permalink | Comments (2)

Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Garth Brooks, Beyonce and Mary J. Blige are some of the performers in the pre-inaugural concert event at the Lincoln Memorial Sunday afternoon that will be carried exclusively later that day on HBO.

Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, John Legend, Usher, Shakira, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, John Mellencamp, Jennifer Nettles and Heather Headly will be also part of the two hour event, titled "We are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial" running this Sunday at 7 p.m. on HBO, which will make its signal free to all receiving cable or satellite.

Jamie Foxx, Queen Latifah, Martin Luther King III will read historical passages. The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson will give the invocation. More performers will be announced as they are confirmed, a press release today said.

The televised event, taken from the afternoon event earlier in the day, will be produced by people behind "The Kennedy Center Honors," various Olympic ceremonies and "The American Film Institute Salutes."

Greenwich native Rob Mathes will be music director and arranger for the backup band that will support all of the artists.

The event itself held Sunday afternoon is free and open to the public.

January 20
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »

My sister's boyfriend is going there for our town's newspaper. He's all excited because he ahs family down there and I told him Shakira was performing.

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:51:07 AM »

New issue of MAD Magazine. Just picked it up. Can't wait to read it. Any other MAD Magazine fans out there??

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 01:31:43 AM »

Forgot to tune into the East Coast feed of the pre-Inauguration celebration and of course I turn it on at the EXACT moment U2 is taking the stage. Pretty cool though. They're doing Pride in honor of MLK in front of the Lincoln Memorial. And Bono's little speech wasn't too annoying. But they're not done yet. I love this song. It is pretty cool seeing them do it from THAT spot. Excuse me now, but we're supposed to "sing America." Here comes the preaching.  ::)

Obama made a great speech. Very moving to seem him give it from that particular location on this particular weekend. Very cool.

Wow, Pete Seger closing the show. Kewl. Great hat Pete!  :)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:13:24 AM »

Everyone at my university is very excited. We're having an Obama party. I wish we could get that excited about the Canadian election, but oh well.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »

Poor Barack.  I can't even imagine what his stress levels will be.  :(  That pic reminded me of this silly article from The Onion:

Black Man Given Nation's Worst Job

November 5, 2008 | Issue 44

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »

I think this is probably the most anticipated Inauguration Day in history.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 01:12:04 PM »

I will be watching , 2pm it kicks off with programme's here in the UK .
Lets hope it's a nice crisp winter day and no rain (smile)

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »

Isn't it a bit too much show? I'd say let's get over with it and start saving the world.  :)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »

New issue of MAD Magazine. Just picked it up. Can't wait to read it. Any other MAD Magazine fans out there??

I havaen't seen a MAD magazine in like 30 years. I didn't know it was still around! It looks like from your post the same artist is drawing the covers.

I don't guess they have Spy vs Spy anymore?

Anyway, 27 hours and counting ... till President Obama!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 08:59:34 PM »

Quote from: 568

I havaen't seen a MAD magazine in like 30 years. I didn't know it was still around! It looks like from your post the same artist is drawing the covers.

I don't guess they have Spy vs Spy anymore?

Anyway, 27 hours and counting ... till President Obama!

Of course they still have Spy Vs. Spy!! How could anyone give up MAD Magazine?  ??)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

Of course they still have Spy Vs. Spy!! How could anyone give up MAD Magazine?  ??)

I traveled far and wandered wide, took up wicked ways, and strayed from what was true and right.  :B

Hangman is coming and I don't have very long ... but ... hey, what me worry?!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:27 PM »

It said on the news there are 5.000 porta-loo's , it showed you them all lined up , but it only looked like 50 to me , looks  like people will be having a pee behind George Bush  (jumping)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 02:55:14 AM »

Some pics from the pre-inaugural concert. Anyone watch? I'm dying to hear some thoughts on this. HBO keeps repeating it.

Stevie got fat!

Can't believe they let Jon Bon Jovi sing A Change is Gonna Come!! Travesty.

U2's performance:
3hEAr4y7c4I

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 02:29:20 PM »

3-1/2 hours to go ... will Bush pardon Alaska Senator and convicted felon Ted Stevens on the way out the back door?

Or even, himself and Cheney?  ;)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »

I am watching on line now with tears of joy in my eyes.

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »

Obamania? I hope the man can stand up to the expectations.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »

Quote from: 63
Obamania? I hope the man can stand up to the expectations.

Maybe in small part, but mostly because:

1) It means a lot to our country to elect a black man.
2) It means a lot to our country to get rid of Bush and Co., who hurt us more than Bin Laden ever dreamed he could have.
3) And it means a lot to our country to have reality- and logic-based decision making returned to the corridors of power. I know I won't agree with every decision made (I think what makes Obama Obama is that no one in this country - right/left, religious/non-religious, gay/straight, etc. will get close to everything they want - he will govern for the best of the country as a whole), but at least I know that decisions will be made on the information available, not using "loyalty" and dogma as criteria.

I don't know to what degree he and his crew will be able to turn us around, but at least we have a fighting chance now.

Just my two cents ...

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:59 PM »

Too much "pomp and ceremony" at things like this.  The millions of $'s spent by the government on this event could have been used to help our economy.  Just my thought..........
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 89 queries.