Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John on George's songs?  (Read 3141 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
John on George's songs?
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:17:17 PM »

Does anyone know why John didn't play on most of George's later songs? Did he want to give George the liberty of filling all the guitars in according to his own wishes, or was he just not a big fan of George's songs, or was it something else?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: John on George's songs?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 11:27:52 PM »

They were not on good terms with the Apple breakup and all.  John refused to come to a very important (and tense) meeting, sending a balloon instead.  As he was just blocks away George rang him and angrily ordered him to attend but he did not show up.

John for his part was cheesed because George would not allow Yoko on (his) stage for Bangaladesh.

Just basic bad blood all the way around.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 05:03:41 AM »

John wasn't too fond of George's religious stuff....he does a "Blow Away" parody of sorts called "The Happy Rishikesh Song" on the Anthology boxed set.......John was never on any of George's recordings, I believe.....which seems to make sense, as at least George could play the guitar on John's songs. What could John do on a song that George had written?

Btw, George actually wanted to start a band with John in the 70's. True story.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »

John wasn't too fond of George's religious stuff....he does a "Blow Away" parody of sorts called "The Happy Rishikesh Song" on the Anthology boxed set.......John was never on any of George's recordings, I believe.....which seems to make sense, as at least George could play the guitar on John's songs. What could John do on a song that George had written?

I reckon I can hear Johns backing vocals on Taxman and I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:00:38 PM »

John not playing on George stuff seemed to really set in around  the white album (surprise! When Yoko was now on the scene). Then he started absenting himself a lot. Seemed to be part of his edging away from the Beatles.  He preferred to be off with Yoko to bothering with George’s stuff.  There might also have been a bit of trying to keep George in place. George was coming up with good  songs more regularly and John still thought of him as a kid to a large degree.

Funnily enough when John did play on a couple of later George tracks George mixed him out. For example the piano on Something and I think a guitar part on Old Brown Shoe.

When the threetles did Free as a Bird Paul said they had to come up with a little fiction that John was on holiday or something to help tamp down the emotion of the sessions . They could have just pretended it was a George song.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:45:35 AM by Moogmodule »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 10:03:36 PM »

That’s right. It was around the time George played on the Imagine album. They were getting along well then (if nothing more united against Paul). I think he suggested the name Ladders or something. Strange name idea.

Still. A band with say John, George, Billy Preston and Klaus Voorman could have been interesting.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:04:56 PM »

Nim I’ve just realised you’ve revived a thread from 2004  cheer1

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »

Nim I’ve just realised you’ve revived a thread from 2004  cheer1

:)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 53 queries.