Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Defend your favorite "bad" Beatles songs  (Read 12914 times)

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
Re: Defend your favorite "bad" Beatles songs
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 03:32:57 AM »

^I also agree. I love the end with John and Paul.
It's official! The Beatles invented rap music!  :P

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 07:00:16 AM »

^  There's a section in the "Hey Jude" end chorus where it sounds like Paul is rapping, I think.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »

I think the first "rap" song ever is "Bummer In The Summer" by the band Love, from their great album Forever Changes (1967). Here's who used to be Love's leader, an old Arthur Lee performing that song:

FDVj1X5Qjew

"Come Together" also sounds a bit like a rap tune, doesn't it?
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »

I really like 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?', I have no idea why either lol. Another I have heard people bash but I like is 'Baby, Your A Rich Man'. I have no idea what other people think of it though lol.

someotherguy

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 04:40:15 AM »

You Won't See Me is one of the lesser regarded songs on Rubber Soul, but I think it's one of the Beatle's strongest. It has a perfect pop stucture featuring some nice piano and one of Paul's first truly great bass parts. It has beautiful counterpart vocals from John and George that follow the chords throughout the verse. It even has great drum fills from Ringo. It's very light and catchy, yet it's suffused with melancholy lyrically as well as harmonically giving it a pensive quality that was new for them at that stage.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »

Baby You're a Rich Man is a fun song. I think MMT is not as well-regarded as it should be. Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever are classics, of course, but the other songs on that album aree great too. Your Mother Should Know, etc, may not be popular Beatles songs but I love them.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2009, 03:38:06 AM »

^ Yeah it is fun! lol. I think it is less regareded because of the movie not being a classic like 'AHDN' or 'Help!' but that is just my opinion. And yeah it has ones like 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane' so give it some credit! lol

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2009, 01:58:29 AM »

A lot of people bash Paul's 'granny songs' (Honey Pie, Martha, My Dear, and When I'm Sixty-Four) but I love them and think they're sweet  :)

I also cannot believe the amount of people that don't like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da! I LOVE that song! Oh, and I agree with someone who said earlier in the thread the the 'naked' version of The Long and Winding Road is just beautiful, it's so much better (and the way Paul intended it!!)

The name's Emily :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »

A lot of people bash Paul's 'granny songs' (Honey Pie, Martha, My Dear, and When I'm Sixty-Four) but I love them and think they're sweet  :)

I also cannot believe the amount of people that don't like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da! I LOVE that song! Oh, and I agree with someone who said earlier in the thread the the 'naked' version of The Long and Winding Road is just beautiful, it's so much better (and the way Paul intended it!!)

yeah you go I_Will, i agree with you, Paul is a master of that kind of writing, very clever, i think Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
is a fun song and great i parties kind of thing. and i have always preferred the Naked version of Long & Winding Road,
the sound of paul's voice and piano are so clear and better i think.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bobber

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2009, 02:39:03 PM »

From Me To You, anyone? ;D

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »

From Me To You, anyone? ;D

haha, I doubt anyone can come up with a defense for that one!

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »

haha, I doubt anyone can come up with a defense for that one!

I'll give it a go ... best middle eight they had ever written to date ; and, at the very end of the song, really really cool chords (with vocal harmonies to match!)!

The defence rests!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Yarvelling

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »

George's "Don't Bother Me".... much derided, but LOVED by me :)  In the full context of the original 'With The Beatles' album, it really stood out amongst all the other upbeat 'happy' love songs - George sounds SO p*ssed-off with the girl! A nice counterpoint.
Steve.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »

The song I am defending, your honor is Maxwell's Silver Hammer. :)  I really don't know why that song gets so much guff - I think it sounds fantastic, very modern for the time, has a really interesting arrangement and the lyrics are twisted in a wonderful way.  A cheery, happy sounding song about a serial killer - what is not to love? :)  Paul even gets the "sociology" right - Maxwell mainly, though not exclusively, kills women, pointing to a probable mother complex and he has a "fan club" just like real life serial killers often do, who think he's just misunderstood(Rose and Valerie).

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2010, 02:48:50 AM »

If you like cheery songs about decidedly uncheery things, you might love They Might Be Giants. (Am I plugging them enough?  :P They deserve it.)

John described "Revolution 9" as the sound of a revolution taking place, and that's what it is. I love this sort of stuff, sonically but non-musically illustrating a scenario. I've done stuff like that myself before realizing that "Revolution 9" was the first example of it. See "Life In A Fish Tank", "Three Internet Geeks Arguing While Driving In The Rain", and "The Wind Tunnel" in the Audio section of my website (in my signature) for mine.

Another favorite of mine is "Wild Honey Pie". I didn't appreciate this one for a long time, until I read a comment Paul made about its creation, that made it all snap into place for me, and now it's one of my favorites. Obviously it's not about anything, so what is it? Paul mentioned something to the effect that he recorded it all himself, adding layers upon layers of guitars and vocals and other sounds, building it up sculpturally. That's what did it. When I listen to the song as a musical sculpture, it becomes much more enjoyable for me. I realized that everything sounded really unusual, sort of sproingy. It's basically an experiment in creating an experience of sonic texture, sort of like feeling various rough, smooth, cold, warm, etc. surfaces with your fingers. I love this crazy experimental stuff, so it's now one of my favorites.

Oomu

• Getting Better
  • It's always the quiet ones.
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 03:15:13 AM »

I like ALL the songs mentioned so far, the only exceptions being Yellow Submarine and Why Don't We Do It In the Road. And Yellow Submarine I recognize as cute, fun, and a good song - I just can't listen to it anymore. Lol.

I notice no one's mentioned Dig It... which I thoroughly enjoy. It's just so funny.  :P Although... does it even count?

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2010, 03:16:53 AM »

I'm defending 'Love You To", that song is bad ass!
It's unique because George was the first rock musician to play something other than a guitar.
The vocal harmonies are extremely awesome sounding!
And, his sitar solo was so cool!

George does not approve.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 03:19:12 AM »

I like ALL the songs mentioned so far, the only exceptions being Yellow Submarine and Why Don't We Do It In the Road. And Yellow Submarine I recognize as cute, fun, and a good song - I just can't listen to it anymore. Lol.

I notice no one's mentioned Dig It... which I thoroughly enjoy. It's just so funny.  :P Although... does it even count?

Matt Busby! And Doris Day!!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 03:46:01 AM »

I would like "Dig It" much more if the album cut was the same as the much longer film cut, which I enjoy very thoroughly. They only included the least interesting part on the album, for some reason. Therefore, I used Audacity to record the film cut and put it on my MP3 player.

MrsHarrison

• A Beginning
  • Have I said something amiss?
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »

The songs I hear people rip apart that I like are Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, Blue Jay Way, and All Together Now. I detest Revolution #9, and anything else that has very strong Yoko levels in it.  ha2ha

I look from the wings of the play you are staging. As I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging. While my guitar gently weeps.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 95 queries.