Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hip Hop Is Garbage.  (Read 6338 times)

Re: Hip Hop Is Garbage.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 05:07:33 PM »

I don't consider Hip-Hop to be music. Though I have to admit some of the 'poetry' I've heard is okay, the majority is garbage. I was hoping its 15 minutes would have been up by now, but I guess not. I was fortunate to have grown up when there was alot of great music on the radio, not the same sh*t over and over.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 05:19:49 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
I don't consider Hip-Hop to be music.
Yoiks. Just for the sake of an arguement, what do you consider "music".
and a defination please, not examples (tho' some would be fine too)
And remember that great 50's quote from some USA University (Detroit I think) "Rock and roll will reduce the white man to the level of the negro."
They obviously didn't think Chuck Berry, Little Richard etc was "music" either

don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 05:34:21 PM »

Quote from: Harrison
I despise most modern music.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 05:44:57 PM »

Quote from: Harrison
I despise most modern music.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 05:52:42 PM »

^ Hehe! ;D

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 07:46:21 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
Yoiks. Just for the sake of an arguement, what do you consider "music".
They obviously didn't think Chuck Berry, Little Richard etc was "music" either

Well, that question is pretty general. Being that there are countless forms of music, I could write a dissertation and I don't think anyone is up for that, so I'll narrow it down to Hip-Hop. To me, this form of noise is just the same old yell over the same old beat over and over again. There's hardly any variation, in the unlikely event that there is any melody to be had, its usually sampled/stolen from something else. Its boring, predictable, and, in my opinion, not music. I think its hardly fair to compare hip-hop artists to groundbreaking, innovative musicians like Chuck Berry and Little Richard, et al. Its comparing apples and chainsaws. Those were different times, blacks had a hell of a time getting airtime, rock and roll was in its infancy, etc., its not the same these days. Their riffs and contribution to rock and roll and the forms it would take are indescribable. You could look back 15 years after Johnny B. Goode came out and see where it led. Rap and Hip Hop have been around for over 15 years and its still the same crap, it has led nowhere, at least as far as I can tell. I know its all about social justice and order and all that, but it ain't music.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 08:45:49 PM »

Rap isn't music, it's just people talking. I would really like to say that it probably has a message of some sort, but it doesn't. Take for example Eminem...
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 08:52:28 PM »

But I do like that one song by the Black Eyed Peas, "Where Is The Love?" since it's actually saying something.

Oh, and my friend's boyfriend has this rap group called East Side District... man, they have like one beat that they got from a toy keyboard, but the lyrics, my God, they are the most hilarious, dirtiest lyrics I've ever heard. Songs like "I Wanna Screw a Monkey" and "I Have I Nine-Inch Penis"make me crack up. XD
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 12:24:38 AM »

geto boys, public enemy, theyre good.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 08:07:29 AM »

To not like it, to find it boring and predictable is fine. But don't you think to say "it's not music" is being just a little holier than thou?
And unfortunately hip hop has had a huge impact across the musical spectrum.
there are a lot of crap hiphop acts. there are also a lot of crap shoe gazing teenage angst ridden rock bands as well.
i blame MTV for all this
don't follow leaders

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2005, 10:27:01 AM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle
If it was'nt for hip-hop, I would not have discovered the plethora of great funk and soul........ It's not all crap.

1st of all m8 lol... it is CRAP ! and 2ndly funk came berfore rap.. if im right ( which im probably not hehe ) rap was an 80's thing and funk was a 70's thing ..am i right ?  ;)

Wayne L.

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »

Hip hop is GARBAGE of the lowest common denominator which isn't art at all & its artists are laughable & sadly it has killed rock & roll!!!!!!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 03:17:12 PM »

^I guess you don't like it then?
don't follow leaders

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 03:26:56 PM »

:D

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2005, 04:28:11 PM »

Quote from: Mr_Kite

1st of all m8 lol... it is CRAP ! and 2ndly funk came berfore rap.. if im right ( which im probably not hehe ) rap was an 80's thing and funk was a 70's thing ..am i right ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 04:48:57 PM »

as Kev B said.
Wish I'd chosen a cooler user name.
Can I be Mr Mustard or something?

don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 05:44:51 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

Well, that question is pretty general. Being that there are countless forms of music, I could write a dissertation and I don't think anyone is up for that, so I'll narrow it down to Hip-Hop. To me, this form of noise is just the same old yell over the same old beat over and over again. There's hardly any variation, in the unlikely event that there is any melody to be had, its usually sampled/stolen from something else. Its boring, predictable, and, in my opinion, not music. I think its hardly fair to compare hip-hop artists to groundbreaking, innovative musicians like Chuck Berry and Little Richard, et al. Its comparing apples and chainsaws. Those were different times, blacks had a hell of a time getting airtime, rock and roll was in its infancy, etc., its not the same these days. Their riffs and contribution to rock and roll and the forms it would take are indescribable. You could look back 15 years after Johnny B. Goode came out and see where it led. Rap and Hip Hop have been around for over 15 years and its still the same crap, it has led nowhere, at least as far as I can tell. I know its all about social justice and order and all that, but it ain't music.

Sorry Junior but thats a pretty general comment you made yourself. Some music lovers are more purist and that's fine. There will always be the debate about rap as music, but some great musicians/artists are involved with hip-hop.
It's lasted much longer than the critics predicted. As a younger person looking at the beginnings of rap to where it has led today, they could say that it has led somewhere, influencing todays take on rnb, mainstream pop, DAnce music and even Jazz. I sure ain't sayin I love All hip-hop but I still believe it is music that can reach the hearts and minds of people just as The Beatles did. (Not to be twisted) Not as great as the Beatles of course. lol

I think the gist of Kevin B's comment was'nt to directly compare more like to think how the parents of rock n roll fans must have thought about the 'so called garbage' derived from black music and to what the older generation think about rap today. Rap maybe noise to you, but to some people (not me), so is classical. Depends what rap your hearing maybe? I agree that Lots and lots of it says or achieves nothing interesting.

Theres also the crazy debate about whether turntablists are musicians..I can guess your view on that one. lol ;)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005, 05:53:22 PM »

I think the gist of Kevin B's comment was'nt to directly compare more like to think how the parents of rock n roll fans must have thought about the 'so called garbage' derived from black music and to what the older generation think about rap today. your )

To quote Meatloaf "you took the words right out of my mouth".
And its Mr Mustard now.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005, 07:56:53 PM »

That's the beauty of art and music, its all subjective, different things move different people. One man's trash is another man's treasure I suppose, I'm sure some of the 'noise' I go see or listen to, for example King Crimson, would be a huge turnoff to alot of people. I'm not saying rap or hip-hop is bad, whatever floats your boat.

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 80 queries.