Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Yardbirds  (Read 11845 times)

Deb

• A Beginning
The Yardbirds
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:11:10 AM »

Is anyone here a fan of the Yardbirds?  They are one of my favorites.   They played on the same roster with the Beatles during the Fab's 1964 Christmas concert at the Hammersmith Odeon.....right before Eric Clapton left the band.  

With Eric Clapton:  
yhfuOSHVIow

With Jeff Beck:
NrABhokOxTQ

With Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page in a scene from the 1966 film "Blow Up."  The director wanted them to make like The Who so Beck smashed his guitar:
jSJGEn4FDys

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: The Yardbirds
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »

yeah but they kind of changed alot in a quick amount of time...i remember how hard it was some years ago try to buy a copy of the album over under sideways down...a used one i was looking for but most seemed roughed up abit...from like over play.....shape of things to come was cool...that was beck....lot of great tunes there yes i like them...yes i do sam i am..i could listen to them on a boat in a moat.... ;)
clapton was good in there too but he was in a new band every year....and then came jimmy...he was good for them.....the yardbirds finally made it big in america as led zepplin....

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:48:29 AM »

Quote from: 284
yeah but they kind of changed alot in a quick amount of time...i remember how hard it was some years ago try to buy a copy of the album over under sideways down...a used one i was looking for but most seemed roughed up abit...from like over play.....shape of things to come was cool...that was beck....lot of great tunes there yes i like them...yes i do sam i am..i could listen to them on a boat in a moat.... ;)
clapton was good in there too but he was in a new band every year....and then came jimmy...he was good for them.....the yardbirds finally made it big in america as led zepplin....

I believe Eric Clapton quit the Yardbirds because he wanted it to remain a blues band and their single "For Your Love" was too pop for him.   I forgot about Led Zeppelin being called "The New Yardbirds" before they changed their name to LZ.  I think Jimmy Page wanted to keep the Yardbirds going but Keith Relf and a couple of the others wanted to go in a "softer" direction.   Poor Keith Relf.....another one who died at an early age (33) in 1976.   Some people believe that he was electrocuted while playing his guitar in a bathtub, but he actually died in his basement studio after his guitar developed an electrical fault.

rikki kesh

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:02:02 AM »

Keith Relf had some interesting bands after the Yardbirds.  He started the original Renaissance wuth sister Jane  on vocals , McCarty and John Hawken (Nashville Teens, Strawbs) on keyboards.  It was one of the first post-Moodies Progressive Rock combos melding Rock and Classical rather effectively.  Later on Relf fronted a band called Albatross which really rocked!  If you can find their album or CD (Japanese only) check out "Silver Tightrope", the awesome lead track!  

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:21:07 AM »

Quote from: 1867
Keith Relf had some interesting bands after the Yardbirds.  He started the original Renaissance wuth sister Jane  on vocals , McCarty and John Hawken (Nashville Teens, Strawbs) on keyboards.  It was one of the first post-Moodies Progressive Rock combos melding Rock and Classical rather effectively.  Later on Relf fronted a band called Albatross which really rocked!  If you can find their album or CD (Japanese only) check out "Silver Tightrope", the awesome lead track!  

I've never heard the Renaissance or Armageddon albums but some of their songs are on YouTube.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 02:57:36 AM »

I love the Yardbirds, but Becks tenure was the best period for them.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:09:44 AM »

Here's one of my favorites from them.

tOSZtCz5K_o

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 04:21:39 AM »

The Yardbirds..............Page, Clapton, Beck...............what other group in rock history had the three most prolific guitarist in the group.  I've got "Blow Up" on DVD and it's a "strange" 60's movie.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 04:25:37 AM »

Kinda funny down here, down South in the States.........."yardbird" is Sunday dinner.........fried chicken with all the trimmin's............

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »

god,i love The Yardbirds.Happenings is one killer single but only reached no.40 in the uk.Ahead of its time,i think.the Little Games album isnt bad either.Relfs solo singles were interesting.Mr Zero is great.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

rikki kesh

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »

"Albatross?"  It's a bleedin' seabird, not a later day rock combo fronted by Keith Relf!   Thanks for the correction Deb!  Armageddon, now that sounds better!  I don't know what I was thinking!  

This lead off track "Buzzard" rocks!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_z_Irh5AFU&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_z_Irh5AFU&amp;feature=related</a>

And here's Keith playing guitar in early Renaissance with sister Jane:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_z_Irh5AFU&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_z_Irh5AFU&amp;feature=related</a>

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:30:14 AM »

Quote from: 1867
"Albatross?"  It's a bleedin' seabird, not a later day rock combo fronted by Keith Relf!   Thanks for the correction Deb!  Armageddon, now that sounds better!  I don't know what I was thinking!  

This lead off track "Buzzard" rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_z_Irh5AFU&feature=related

And here's Keith playing guitar in early Renaissance with sister Jane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_z_Irh5AFU&feature=related

Well, they both start with an "A"!   ;)

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »

Clapton talks about his Yardbird years in his book.  I don't have it with me right now but there's a chapter dedicated to that time.  But I believe Deb is right for the reason why Clapton left them...  I'll look it up and let you guys know :)

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »

The Yardbirds are one of my top favorite bands. I think no one else but the Beatles and the Byrds were as experimental as them during the mid-60's. As many people know, the Yardbirds were famous for having probably the three greatest British guitarists in rock history: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. I agree with tkitna that the Beck's period was their best. They had a good string of US Top 40 hits: "For Your Love" (#6), "Heart Full Of Soul" (#9), "I'm A Man" (#17), "Shapes Of Things" (#11), "Over, Under, Sideways, Down" (#13) and "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" (#30). However, some things didn't help them: most of their best songs from 1964-1965 were covers or written by outside authors like Graham Gouldman; they only released two proper albums (Roger The Engineer in 1966 and Little Games in 1967) as their early material was included just on singles and EPs in UK (they were the source of two bastard US albums); they were allowed to write their own songs since 1966, but even though they had a great technical ability and were very experimental, their songwriting was not very good. These problems don't stop me from enjoying them a lot.

Here are some of my favorite songs from each guitarist period:

Eric Clapton

I Wish You Would-Yardbirds (w/Clapton)

Jeff Beck

Yardbirds - You're a better man than I

Jimmy Page

Think About It- The Yardbirds- 1968- ( Album Version )
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:07:10 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »

Jimmy Page

Think About It- The Yardbirds- 1968- ( Album Version )

I am a big fan of this tune, although I know it only because Aerosmith covered it. Funny thing, the song's guitar solo also appeared later on Led Zeppelin's 'Dazed and Confused', which is also my favourite song of theirs.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:21:05 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »

I am a big fan of this tune, although I know it only because Aerosmith covered it. Funny thing, the song's guitar solo also appeared later on Led Zeppelin's 'Dazed and Confused', which is also my favourite song of theirs.

Yeah, Jimmy Page not only stole others, he even stole himself!
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »

Yeah, Jimmy Page not only stole others, he even stole himself!

ha2ha
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »

Friday is Soho day and yet another (once you've passed all the punters getting royally ripped off with ultra-expensive vinyl!) CD purchase.

This time £8 got me the Australian 27-track 'Happenings Ten Years Time Ago' '64-'68' (on Raven) and it's one of the few Yardbirds' compilations to include all the eras of the group.

The group's back catalogue truly is a minefield and this CD appears to be just about the best one-stop option, although even then I think I'd prefer a straight As and Bs approach (10 45s, 2 European only 45s, one 3-track EP = 27 tracks).
Still, beggars can't be choosers!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »

Just noticed that the 50th Anniversary of The Yardbirds' first L.P. ('Five Live Yardbirds') was on 4th December, the same day that 'Beatles For Sale' was released.

Other soon-to-be anniversaries are 'The Rolling Stones No. 2', 'People Get Ready' by The Impressions, 'A Love Supreme', 'The Beatles '65' (U.S.) and 'The Zombies Begin Here'.
That's my listening menu for the first couple of months of 1965.....sorry, 2015.....sorted.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »

It was a very good year.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 92 queries.