Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

Author Topic: Recently Bought C.D.'s  (Read 60632 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Recently Bought C.D.'s
« Reply #440 on: January 23, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »

I'll dig out Dusty's debut this weekend, I haven't heard it for ages.

Firstly though, No. 15 - Marvin Gaye - 'What's Going On' - £1.99.

Went back for this because (a) it's cheap and mint, (b) I had a lot of loose change, (c) it'll be the last entry, so far, in the 'Charidee Box' and so will protect the cardboard/paper cover of the Michael Chapman CD, and (d) I want to finally like it after numerous attempts.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like Led Zeppelin who I've persevered with on various occasions and come to the conclusion I openly despise!
I like Tamla and Marvin and 60s soul, it's just I've always had a bit of a problem with 'What's Going On'.

I'm not alone, Berry Gordy did as well! 
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »

Take it back.
'What's Going On' is sensational.
Sorry Marvin.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #442 on: February 11, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »

Charidee Box:

No. 16     Brenda Holloway - 'Greatest Hits and Rare Classics' (Motown, 1991 - 18 tracks) - £1.99

There is NO WAY that Dusty Springfield didn't absolutely adore this lady!
Of all the Motown/Stax singers, it is Dusty who I can most hear in Brenda's delivery.
My God, she even makes 'Unchained Melody' sound palatable!!!

Brenda had seven 45s (and a re-issue) released in the U.K. in the 60s and this compilation collects together all 7 A-sides as well as 5 Bs.

The wonderful collection is book-ended by 'Every Little Bit Hurts' and 'Together Till The End Of Time' both superbly covered by Stevie Winwood & The Spencer Davis Group.

16 CDs - Total paid: £21.63

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #443 on: February 11, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »

Had a bit of business on the High Street so.....

No. 17     Miles Davis - 'Kind of Blue' (Columbia Jazz Masterpieces, 1959) - £1.99

Finally some Modern Jazz and, given I suspect it's many people's only Jazz CD, it's no surprise that it's 'Kind of Blue'.
It would be interesting to know the % of this one LP/CD of all Jazz releases sold.....2%.....5%?
Those Top 500 polls certainly seem to think that it covers ALL jazz!

Rather hoping to score a few 49p jobs to get the average down to a pound each.
Still haven't found the 'Forever Changes' freebie which'll probably only be 10p if I do.

17 CDs - Total paid: £23.62 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #444 on: February 15, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »

The free CDs you get in magazines are a funny lot.

They're either 'the songs that influenced'-style compilation in which a selection of blues songs are labelled as specifically influential to, say, The Stones, when, actually, they're influential to all the 60s groups!
These CDs are also liable to have rogue Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole or Dean Martin songs on them which renders them virtually unusable (see the latest Mojo Bowie CD).

Or, and this is worse, a set of new songs and artists under some kind of 'Best of 2014' banner.....erm.....no thanks.

Never understood why Mojo/Uncut don't tie up their CDs with record companies - i.e. there's a Kinks' 6-CD box set due out soon, so why not have a Kinks' CD with actual Kinks' songs on the free CD.....potentially great, and definitely unique, CD / great advertisement for the box set. Win-win surely?

Imagine a 10-track Apple sampler of 'Live at the BBC Volume 2' - terrific. Every Beatles' fan would want one - those who aren't huge fans of the group might be tempted to buy the 2-CD version. 

One such release that is worthwhile is No. 18 in the Charidee Box.

"Journey to Love: Rare & Early Elektra" - 15 tracks including Phil Ochs, Tim Buckley and Love - 50p.
Why can't they all be as good as this one?

18 CDs - Total paid: £24.12

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #445 on: March 04, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »

Back to Fopp in Covent Garden and another £5 deluxe Kinks' 2-CD set, this time 'Face to Face' from 1966.

The guy in the queue in front of me was also buying 'Kinda Kinks' and 'Kinks Kontroversy'....for that price they should be on the National Health.

I won't wade in (again) with the m/s Beatles' situation but will mention the fact that the U.S. CDs which, bizarrely, do have both mono and stereo versions on them, are down to £6......it's alright to do it for the U.S. versions but not the British ones. Why?

I might 'dabble' but they still don't represent the fantastic value of the Kinks' back catalogue.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #446 on: March 04, 2015, 07:15:44 PM »

Back to Fopp in Covent Garden and another £5 deluxe Kinks' 2-CD set, this time 'Face to Face' from 1966.

I work in Covent Garden and go to Foppish quite a bit. Good to see a record shopping well. I'm on a bit of a southern thing at the  moment and got Little Feat and Ry Cooder cd's. You a Londoner?
don't follow leaders

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #447 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:16 PM »

I come in from the unfashionable, and cheaper, outskirts every three or four weeks!

Fopp (and all the second-hand shops in Berwick Street) is my haunt.
I tend to buy one or maybe two at a time, but I expect you could do some serious damage with £50 in Fopp.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #448 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:06 AM »

...I'm on a bit of a southern thing at the moment and got Little Feat and Ry Cooder cd's. You a Londoner?

Have you ever listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Allman Brothers Band?

Here's one of my favorite Skynyrd tracks (among many!):

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gone

I live in Waycross, Georgia (Ware County) USA, which is about an hour away from their hometown (Ronnie Van Zant actually married a Waycross girl in the Ware County Courthouse). Also, a friend of mine grew up with Ronnie and his brothers living on the same street in Jacksonville, Florida.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:06:06 AM by Fab4Fan »
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2015, 02:00:00 AM »

Aw, heck, one just isn't enough! Here's another one:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Double Trouble (studio version)

KelMar

« Reply #450 on: March 06, 2015, 03:57:56 AM »

I live in Waycross, Georgia (Ware County) USA, which is about an hour away from their hometown (Ronnie Van Zant actually married a Waycross girl in the Ware County Courthouse). Also, a friend of mine grew up with Ronnie and his brothers living on the same street in Jacksonville, Florida.

Cool Fab4Fan! It's fun finding out these sorts of things about our members and what they listen to when they're not listening to the Fabs. Tuesday's Gone is a great song. The lyrics just kind of struck me a few years ago when I heard it on the radio.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #451 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »

I confess that I'd forgotten just how brilliant 'Face to Face' by The Kinks is, and it's all the better to now have it in its mono version.

One of the bonus songs is 'This Is Where I Belong' which was bizarrely only originally released as a Continental Europe B-side.

Songs that strong never even gaining a proper release seems to be a recurring pattern for the group in the 60s and, Beatles included, I don't think any pop/rock act can beat The Kinks c. '65-'69 for sheer depth of material.

They even kept a parallel career for brother Dave on the boil at the same time!   

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2015, 06:52:39 AM »

Cool Fab4Fan! It's fun finding out these sorts of things about our members and what they listen to when they're not listening to the Fabs. Tuesday's Gone is a great song. The lyrics just kind of struck me a few years ago when I heard it on the radio.

One more bit of info about Waycross - Gram Parsons lived there for the first 12 years of his life and the city hosts an annual Gram Parsons music festival w/ guest performers such as Leon Russel, Ian Dunlop (a regular), Bernie Leadon, Bonnie Bramlett (of Delaney & Bonnie fame), and even Charlie Louvin (his next-to-last album, prior to his death, was recorded live at the Parsons festival in Waycross) among others.

ó

The Byrds - One Hundred Years From Now (Audio/Gram Vocal)

A side note: Elvis performed in Waycross at the City Auditorium on February 22, 1956 just as Heartbreak Hotel was reaching #1 in America. Charlie Louvin was also on the bill and a 9-year old Gram Parsons was in the audience. Interestingly enough, the first concert I ever attended was at that very same City Auditorium (it still stands today!) and, as a part of their show, the band featured a tribute to the Beatles (they played about six Beatles songs while video of the actual Fabs rolled in the background) - what a wonderful cosmic connection of events!

And, finally, Waycross is located on the edge of the Okefenokee Swamp in Southeast Georgia. The only "official" human resident of the swamp after its designation as a National Wildlife Refuge was none other than a fellow known as Okefenokee Joe - who's real name is Dick Flood - who was an aspiring musician back in the day and an excellent songwriter - Roy Orbison actually recorded at least one of his songs! Back in the 1990's, a well-received television special was filmed about the swamp and Okefenokee Joe served as the host and tour guide. He wrote some great songs and the theme song is below (the show was entitled "Swampwise")

Okefenokee "Swampwise"

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:03:52 AM by Fab4Fan »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #453 on: March 08, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »

Did you know that the Kinks' Deluxe CD versions of the 60s albums (i.e. the 7 LPs from the 1964 to 'Arthur' in 1969) contain a whopping 318 tracks?!

They'd contain more but it would appear that the 2nd and 3rd LPs only ever came out in mono.

NotTheWalrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »

I just bought Cliff Martinez's soundtrack for the movie Solaris. The soundtrack was what I enjoyed most about that film, and I've been tempted to buy it for a long time. The CD was hard to obtain and expensive for some years, but now it's available again I snapped up a copy. Very interesting music, IMHO.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGiPlzcNpws" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGiPlzcNpws</a>

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »

Kinks (again).....
'Kinda Kinks' which was rather pleasingly 50 years old on March, 5th and 'Kinks Kontroversy'.
£5 each. Both 2-CD sets.

Quite apart from a gem like 'See My Friends', c. 1965 Ray Davies was SO GOOD that the group could afford to not put out their own version of 'I Go To Sleep'.

Was this wise?
It's the Kinks' ekuivalent (sorry, couldn't help myself) of not putting out 'Hey Jude' or 'Like A Rolling Stone'.   

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »

This is a great compilation of non album tracks, mainly singles, some soundtrack songs, recorded between 1955-1961.

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #457 on: April 02, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »

Two strange things happened in London in 1994.

Firstly, and inexplicably, people started buying Oasis records (nowhere else in the world, obviously).
Secondly, a craze for old easy listening recordings developed.

Nothing good came out of the first phenomena, and the rehabilitation of the Rat Pack was an unfortunate aside from the second.

However, on the plus side, all of a sudden really groovy 60s library music for TV and film became available on CD after languishing for years on unwanted vinyl in charity shops.
The vinyl leapt in value, the CDs had a price of £12 on them, and life lobbled on.

Fast forward 21 years, and the CDs have gone the same way as the original vinyl, and are to be easily found for a couple of pounds.

Charidee Box.....
19. 'Blow Up Presents Exclusive Blend Vol. 4' (essentially a whole load of late 60s music you might hear in an obscure French film) - £1.99

Also.....
20. 'The Sonny Clark Trio' by the.....erm.....Sonny Clark Trio (Blue Note, 1958) - £1.50.

20 CDs - Total price: £27.61

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2015, 12:22:10 PM »

Two strange things happened in London in 1994.

Firstly, and inexplicably, people started buying Oasis records (nowhere else in the world, obviously).
Secondly, a craze for old easy listening recordings developed.

Come come you're being ungracious.

Seven albums, all but the first top tenning all over the world (except the US, where only 3 got in.)
Still, a huge band and no mean feat.
And yes I like them. Excellent live. Very big sound, great songs. hey ho. If Wiki is right over 50,000,000 sold world wide. And wonderwallis an anthem for the nineties. Fantastic.
But then I loved the nineties. We had won history, the football team was ok, guitar bands were back in fashion and because everyone was off their nuts on ecstasy dancing was easy and fun again. And oh, I was 25 years younger.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:27:31 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »

Two questions: Who had 'won history' and which football team was OK?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 82 queries.