Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Beatles: 3 musical geniuses plus a drummer?  (Read 14568 times)

Re: The Beatles: 3 musical geniuses plus a drummer?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 06:14:33 PM »

[quote by=LonelyPeople link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=19 date=1086102284]i think the general idea is that it doesn't really matter who's a genius and who's not...b/c if you were missing one piece you wouldn't have the Beatles.[/quote]

Well exactly.  Without ANY one of the four there would be no Beatles. 
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bacchus

• A Beginning
  • I've got a feeling
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 02:58:33 AM »

Let's face it ringo was an adequate drummer,nothing exceptional,but he did gell with the boys.Ringo is eclipsed by the others in terms of the gift of the muse,but i wouldn't go so far as to say the same magical combination would have resulted without him.

LonelyPeople

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 05:07:40 AM »

Ringo waws a very exceptional drummer and a good song writer as well...i mean you have to look at who you're comparing him to..John and Paul were INSANE..just because Ringo can't match their abilities doesnt mean that he isn't a exceptional musician still.  Ringo did write a song or two on every album.

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 05:45:03 AM »

Nah, Rings only wrote two full songs and was given partial credit on two more.  Ringo had talent, and when a Beatle it was as great as the other 4.  But alone he never was an exceptional talent.

He was definitely better than 'adequate'.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 01:48:23 PM »

[quote by=LonelyPeople link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=22 date=1086325660]Ringo did write a song or two on every album.[/quote]

He sang one or two songs on every album, but he didn't write most of these songs.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 11:45:31 PM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=23 date=1086327903]
He was definitely better than 'adequate'.[/quote]

The exact words I would have used.

Rocky Raccoon

• A Beginning
  • Help with good Rocky's revival!
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2004, 03:04:43 AM »

Ringo was simply perfect. He was exactly what the group needed. His drumming always fit exactly in the music that the other guys wrote. I don't know if it happens to you, but every time I hear a beatles cover the first thing I miss is Ringo's drumming (except in phil collins' "golden slumbers - carry that weight - the end"). Pete sucks really bad, he never did the fill-ins Ringo did. Anyone who think's Ringo could be replaced by any other just hear the crappy drumming Paul did in "the ballad of John and Yoko", i'm sure you'll miss Ringo.

John and paul were amazing song writers. However, when you write so much songs in a relatively short period of time they somehow lose quality. George's songs were much fewer but much more elaborate. John and Paul sometimes wen't a bit too comercial for my liking. As a song writer Ringo was certainly left behind, he's a great song writer, but having to deal with 3 of the greatest songwriters of all time didn't give him the chance to show his talents.
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2004, 05:03:13 AM »

As a songwriter I do not think Ringo has much to show.  His drums on A Day In The Life alone should qualify him for the Drummer's Hall of Fame.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2004, 07:52:45 AM »

[quote by=Rocky_Raccoon link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=26 date=1086404683] Anyone who think's Ringo could be replaced by any other just hear the crappy drumming Paul did in "the ballad of John and Yoko", i'm sure you'll miss Ringo.[/quote]

Yeah, but 'Dear Prudence' kicked and 'Back in the USSR' was decent. If you listen to alot of Pauls solo stuff, you'll realize that he can drum pretty efficiently. I realize that he could never have replaced Ringo, but he didnt suck.

As a song writer Ringo was certainly left behind, he's a great song writer, but having to deal with 3 of the greatest songwriters of all time didn't give him the chance to show his talents.

No. I disagree. Ringo was never great song writer. God bless him, he tried and still does. Have you ever heard the stories of poor Ringo taking three weeks to write a song only to find out that he ended up re-writing a classic or standard? Even his biggest solo album, "Ringo", was written in a large part by the other three Beatles and others. Even Mal Evans co-wrote with George on "You and Me(babe)". He isnt a great song writer and never was.

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2004, 09:00:08 AM »

[quote by=Wayne_L. link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=3 date=1085677865]The Beatles had two music geniuses with a great guitarist & a great drummer.

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2004, 06:10:11 PM »

I think there all musical geniuses, i cant rate one more than the other, there all amazing at what they do, Ringo is equally as good as all the Beatles.

ringorama

• A Beginning
  • Control yourself, you'll spurt
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2004, 02:36:10 AM »

I think it's totally wrong to say that they were "three musical geniuses and a drummer" I don't understand where people get off saying that? Ringo was just as much a part of the group as the others. Maybe he didn't have as big of a part as say Paul or John but he still did his part! I remember something I read somewhere about a time when they were recording and Paul said some stuff and Ringo ended up leaving because whatever Paul had said made him feel like he was a bad drummer, but they called him and they told him that they couldn't be the Beatles without Ringo. Which is 100% true! They wouldn't be the Beatles without Ringo! Period!

(sorry, I can't help myself when things like that are said cause Ringo is extremely talented and extrememly underappriciated!)

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2004, 01:03:02 AM »

Ringo was a fantastic drummer that helped make it a band of four personas....how many other bands have recognizable/interesting drummers AND bassists? Not many...

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Strawberryfields67

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2004, 02:34:41 PM »

Paul-annoying sometimes but insanely talented.
John-when Yoko came he got annoying,but was also insanely talented.
George-what the other two were to songwriting he was towards music.
Ringo-o_0 uhuhuhhhhhhh...he got them the gig.
"I really want to know you Lord."   

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 04:12:05 PM »

[quote by=Strawberryfields67 link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=33 date=1087396481]Paul-annoying sometimes but insanely talented.
John-when Yoko came he got annoying,but was also insanely talented.
George-what the other two were to songwriting he was towards music.
Ringo-o_0 uhuhuhhhhhhh...he got them the gig.[/quote]

Ringo was the base, the foundation and the back up for the other three.  He grounded these three bobbing balloons and kept them from flying off forever.

Imagine if he too had been a mercurial ego-driven genius drummer.  The Beatles surely would have splintered before the mid-60's from the masive tension.

George was also a grounding force, obviously.  He had talent but not that competitive ego-driven need to top everything that went before.  He too anchored J & P and let the group survive far longer than it would have otherwise (think of 'supergroups' made up of equal partners: CSN&Y, Cream, Blind Faith, etc.---how they shortly exploded into conflicts due to not having those grounding forces).

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 10:06:23 PM »

Interesting take on Ringo's role in the band. I never looked at it that way. I suppose it makes sense! Yay Ringo! :)

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2004, 09:31:19 PM »

John Lennon And Paul were the reason The Beatles Were so famous

Paul McCartney :)

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2004, 05:05:47 AM »

[quote by=number14 link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=36 date=1087767079]John Lennon And Paul were the reason The Beatles Were so famous[/quote]

Yet they smoked! :)

Seriously, the Beatles were a four compnent group.  Neither John nor Paul ever achieved the solo success they had as a foursome.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2004, 03:03:10 AM »

no ringo...no beatles

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2004, 05:57:31 PM »

I can't really add anything new here but my vote is NO! An amazing band.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 89 queries.