Beatles forums > Albums

Which do you prefer? The White Album

<< < (2/9) > >>

Ovi:

--- Quote from: blmeanie on May 31, 2014, 11:56:24 AM ---Sorry, neither hangs as well without the contrast the other's songs provide.  You need a McCartney song somewhere in the mix to break up the John string of songs and same the other way.  Even though they basically were solo-ish songs (many of them) by themselves would never hang win them together as a Beatle album.

I realize that isn't where the question was intended to go but I took it as which would I rather listen to.  Both lists get weaker when the others' songs are excluded IMO.

If pressed, I would call it a draw.

--- End quote ---

Excellent, my thoughts exactly.

Normandie:

--- Quote from: blmeanie on May 31, 2014, 11:56:24 AM ---Sorry, neither hangs as well without the contrast the other's songs provide.  You need a McCartney song somewhere in the mix to break up the John string of songs and same the other way.  Even though they basically were solo-ish songs (many of them) by themselves would never hang win them together as a Beatle album.

I realize that isn't where the question was intended to go but I took it as which would I rather listen to.  Both lists get weaker when the others' songs are excluded IMO.

--- End quote ---

Yes, very well put. This is exactly how I feel as well. I tend to favor John's songs, but they appeal to me even more when they are "leavened" with Paul's lighter material.

nimrod:
a draw for me   glassesslip

but then, I love Prudence & Warm Gun so much it may just tip it in Johns favour 

;sorry

;yes

???

Moogmodule:

--- End quote ---

For sure. One of the big pluses of Beatle albums is the contrast between John and Paul. And the White Album benefits from some good George cuts as well.

So separating them definitely weakens them. I just think pound for pound Johns songs are a bit stronger on this album.

Mr Mustard:
I agree that each requires the other to provide balance, but overall I've always felt The White Album was dominated by Paul. One or two of John's tracks would certainly be at or near the top of the pile for me, but I just feel that Paul maintains a more consistently high standard overall, and I always get the feeling that an uncharacteristically passive John's heart just isn't in it (apart from "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" - and that has a very McCartneyesque structure to it) until we reach side three.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version