Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bands that weren't inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame  (Read 8048 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Bands that weren't inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »

In your opinion, which are the best bands that still weren't inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame? I think of the following ones:

The Zombies. They were an essential band during the early British Invasion. They weren't very popular in UK, but managed to have three Top 10 singles in US ("She's Not There", "Tell Her No" and "Time Of The Season"). Rod Argent's use of keyboard announced the psychedelic times that were coming. On top of that, their album Odessey And Oracle (1968) is usually considered a classic, unique barroque pop record that a lot of rock critics seem to love.

Love. Paradoxically famous for being an obscure L.A. band, they may probably be the group with the highest quality/popularity ratio. They only had one Top 40 hit ("Seven And Seven Is"), and it's not even their most memorable song. Arthur Lee was certainly a genius, but his external problems (that led him to jail for several years) didn't help. Forever Changes (1967) is another very acclaimed album that usually is included pretty high in 'best of all time' lists.

Spirit. Another quite obscure band from California, with a bunch of great musicians, especially Jimi Hendrix's pupil Randy California and the bald jazz drummer Ed Cassidy (husband of Randy's mother). They had just one important hit ("I Got A Line On You") but other great songs like "1984" or "Dark Eyed Woman" deserved better luck. Nevertheless, they were able to release the influential album Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus (1970) that gained recognition over the years.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Bands that weren't inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »

In your opinion, which are the best bands that still weren't inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame? I think of the following ones:

The Zombies. They were an essential band during the early British Invasion. They weren't very popular in UK, but managed to have three Top 10 singles in US ("She's Not There", "Tell Her No" and "Time Of The Season"). Rod Argent's use of keyboard announced the psychedelic times that were coming. On top of that, their album Odessey And Oracle (1968) is usually considered a classic, unique barroque pop record that a lot of rock critics seem to love.

Love. Paradoxically famous for being an obscure L.A. band, they may probably be the group with the highest quality/popularity ratio. They only had one Top 40 hit ("Seven And Seven Is"), and it's not even their most memorable song. Arthur Lee was certainly a genius, but his external problems (that led him to jail for several years) didn't help. Forever Changes (1967) is another very acclaimed album that usually is included pretty high in 'best of all time' lists.

Spirit. Another quite obscure band from California, with a bunch of great musicians, especially Jimi Hendrix's pupil Randy California and the bald jazz drummer Ed Cassidy (husband of Randy's mother). They had just one important hit ("I Got A Line On You") but other great songs like "1984" or "Dark Eyed Woman" deserved better luck. Nevertheless, they were able to release the influential album Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus (1970) that gained recognition over the years.
Hombre,
I saw Spirit at Salem State College when I was 14 years old and didn't even know who they were. My folks let me go because the headline band was Sha Na Na for which they opened. Several years later a friend of mine qued up and album from them and I recognized a couple of the songs! Another band I saw that opened for Sha Na Na was Areosmith in 1973 (?) At Suffolk Downs, outside of Boston. The thing turned into a riot!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 01:27:13 AM »

Hombre,
I saw Spirit at Salem State College when I was 14 years old and didn't even know who they were. My folks let me go because the headline band was Sha Na Na for which they opened. Several years later a friend of mine qued up and album from them and I recognized a couple of the songs! Another band I saw that opened for Sha Na Na was Areosmith in 1973 (?) At Suffolk Downs, outside of Boston. The thing turned into a riot!

Hi Dcazz, I took the freedom of seeing your age so you must have seen Spirit in 1970, when they were at their peak! They soon disbanded because of their lack of success, but California and Cassidy continued using the band's name.

Do you remember if they played this song? I was wild about it lately:

Spirit - 1984 [Excellent quality]

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:46:15 AM »

Any relevant prog band.

You could give me 20 buck and tickets at the door and I wouldnt go to that scam of musical history.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:51:53 AM »

The Hall of Jann Wenner's and Dave Marsh's favorite bands is a joke.

No Jethro Tull? No E.L.O?  These are not bands that were on the fringe of success.

The critics hated Ian Anderson and he felt the same way about them.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »

Any relevant prog band.

You could give me 20 buck and tickets at the door and I wouldnt go to that scam of musical history.

Yeah, I know. I don't have much respect for that Hall of Fame either. I just used it as a reference to talk about 'forgotten bands'.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:58:53 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:07:37 AM »

Heck, there are bands that are far from my favorites that should be in.  Yes is one that comes to mind.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »

Heck, there are bands that are far from my favorites that should be in.  Yes is one that comes to mind.

King Crimson should be there as well.

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 02:39:07 AM »

I ignore it

I dont even know who's in it :D

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 02:47:22 AM »

Most of the bands I like were included, but there're still several lame inductees (at least in comparison to some that are out).

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »

Wow, I think The Zombies are truly the ultimate "forgotten band". I was just listening to their 'Singles Collection' yesterday, and was amazed by how good they were. Really a shame they didn't make it bigger.

A great post 'Oddesey and Oracle' single :

Imagine The Swan - The Zombies
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »

Wow, I think The Zombies are truly the ultimate "forgotten band". I was just listening to their 'Singles Collection' yesterday, and was amazed by how good they were. Really a shame they didn't make it bigger.

A great post 'Oddesey and Oracle' single :

Imagine The Swan - The Zombies

Yes, the Zombies career started with a promising future as two of their first three singles were Top 10 hits in US. Then they continued recording quality songs, but somehow people lost interest in them. Their debut album was not so good, with many second and third rate covers, but their pre-Odessey singles are truly lost gems, even the B-sides always had something good to offer.

Here's the B-side of "Remember You" (1966); it was written by singer Colin Blunstone, a rare case as almost everything was written by Rod Argent and Chris White. It shows how good musicians they were (keyboards, bass, drums, all sound great):

The Zombies - Just Out Of Reach

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »

Yes, the Zombies career started with a promising future as two of their first three singles were Top 10 hits in US. Then they continued recording quality songs, but somehow people lost interest in them.

Yeah, maybe the people were expecting them to jump on the psychedelic wagon sometime in '66/'67, while the band was pretty much still pop/R&B. True, 'Oddesey and Oracle' has its fair share of psychedelic moments, but I guess the people had already lost interest in the band by the time.

Here's the B-side of "Remember You" (1966); it was written by singer Colin Blunstone, a rare case as almost everything was written by Rod Argent and Chris White. It shows how good musicians they were (keyboards, bass, drums, all sound great):

The Zombies - Just Out Of Reach

Cool, I never knew that it was written by Colin.

I've always been more of a Chris White fan myself (though I admit Argent is a better song-writer) and I find it really disappointing that unlike Argent, he hasn't done everything post Zombies worth mentioning.

Edit : Apparently, according to Rate Your Music, he's a got a solo album which includes, what seems to be, a cover of 'Surfin' U.S.A'. I really gotta check that out.

Edit (2) : I checked both of the songs that he released as singles from his solo album, and, apparently, according to the people from YouTube, that was another Chris White. Yet, Rate Your Music names that Chris White (the one with the solo album) as a member of The Zombies. Weird.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:09:09 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:55:49 PM »

Yeah, maybe the people were expecting them to jump on the psychedelic wagon sometime in '66/'67, while the band was pretty much still pop/R&B. True, 'Oddesey and Oracle' has its fair share of psychedelic moments, but I guess the people had already lost interest in the band by the time.

However, you can hear touches that lead to psychedelia in very early Zombies' singles. For example, the keyboard solo of "She's Not There" was in part an inspiration for the random guitar playing of the Byrds' gem "Eight Miles High", probably the first psychedelic song ever. And there are several examples like this ("I Want Her Back"; "I Love You"; "Indication"), way before the Doors appeared in the scene.

Cool, I never knew that it was written by Colin.

Yes, he also wrote "How We Were Before", which was the B-side of the next single ("Indication" was the A-side).

I've always been more of a Chris White fan myself (though I admit Argent is a better song-writer) and I find it really disappointing that unlike Argent, he hasn't done everything post Zombies worth mentioning.

Edit : Apparently, according to Rate Your Music, he's a got a solo album which includes, what seems to be, a cover of 'Surfin' U.S.A'. I really gotta check that out.

Edit (2) : I checked both of the songs that he released as singles from his solo album, and, apparently, according to the people from YouTube, that was another Chris White. Yet, Rate Your Music names that Chris White (the one with the solo album) as a member of The Zombies. Weird.

I must say that I prefer Rod as a songwriter, but Chris wrote several of my favorite Zombies' tunes as well.

I never looked too much for their post-Zombies careers, just listened to some of Argent. I know Chris became mostly a producer but he continued writting songs along with Rod, even for some Colin's solo records.

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »

Fleetwood Mac & Bob Welch
American musician Bob Welch joined the British blues-rock band Fleetwood Mac in 1971, after the departure of founder Peter Green. Welch was a key reason for the band's move from England to California in the mid-1970s, played lead and rhythm guitar and wrote or co-wrote many of the songs on five Fleetwood Mac albums. When Fleetwood Mac was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 1998, original band members Green, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were named to the Hall, as were Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Welch, who anchored the band from 1971 to 1974, was not. In 1998, after Welch was snubbed by the Hall, he told Cleveland's daily newspaper, The Plain Dealer, "My era was the bridge era. It was a transition. But it was an important period in the history of the band. Mick Fleetwood dedicated a whole chapter of his biography to my era of the band and credited me with 'saving Fleetwood Mac'. Now they want to write me out of the history of the group. It hurts."
Welch went on to tell The Plain Dealer, "Mick and I co-managed the group for years. I'm the one who brought the band to Los Angeles from England, which put them in the position of hooking up with Lindsey and Stevie. I saw the band through a whole period where they barely survived, literally". Welch believes that he was blackballed because he filed a lawsuit against Fleetwood and John & Christine McVie over underpayment of royalties owed him, which was settled out of court. He believes the falling out with the band members led them to pressuring the selection committee into excluding him from the Hall.

nimrod

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »

Ive been looking who's in and not in :)

No Moody Blues or Yes or John Mayall (Father of British Blues), no Morrisey or The Smiths, no Oasis, INXS or King Crimson, no Chicago or Crowded House, no Doobie Bros or Searchers or 10CC, Im sure theres a few more

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »

Hi Dcazz, I took the freedom of seeing your age so you must have seen Spirit in 1970, when they were at their peak! They soon disbanded because of their lack of success, but California and Cassidy continued using the band's name.

Do you remember if they played this song? I was wild about it lately:

Spirit - 1984 [Excellent quality]
Sure, no problem 56 years. This one and if I remember correctly Fresh Garbage might have been the ones that tipped me off to them some years later. I remember the conversation more than the songs. It was a pretty wild night as I remember and I think my first concert. Most everyone was college kids and I was a Jr. highschool kid and I remember a lot of drunk (among other things of the time) college kids climbing the light towers and all the stuff they do. I do remember liking the music though and I was fascinated with the bald drummer in the time of long hair. I thought that was unusual!
I have a vinyl copy of their greatest hits I still listen to from time to time. It's good music!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:01:12 PM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »

Sure, no problem 56 years. This one and if I remember correctly Fresh Garbage might have been the ones that tipped me off to them some years later. I remember the conversation more than the songs. It was a pretty wild night as I remember and I think my first concert. Most everyone was college kids and I was a Jr. highschool kid and I remember a lot of drunk (among other things of the time) college kids climbing the light towers and all the stuff they do. I do remember liking the music though and I was fascinated with the bald drummer in the time of long hair. I thought that was unusual!
I have a vinyl copy of their greatest hits I still listen to from time to time. It's good music!
I did a little more research on Spirit this AM and found that Mark Andes and Jay ferguson went on the form Jo Jo Gunne and had a few big hits with them Run, Run, Run being the biggest. Babylon is also a good song I recognized. Check them out on U tube.
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »

Speaking of JoJo Gunne, one of my favorite songs right here.

ROCKER - JO JO GUNNE - Wait A Lifetime

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 03:01:18 AM »

I did a little more research on Spirit this AM and found that Mark Andes and Jay ferguson went on the form Jo Jo Gunne and had a few big hits with them Run, Run, Run being the biggest. Babylon is also a good song I recognized. Check them out on U tube.

I didn't know about Jo Jo Gunne. I checked out some of their songs, sounds like they tried to carry on the Spirit's spirit. :)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.582 seconds with 85 queries.