Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Fourmost  (Read 1586 times)

Bobber

The Fourmost
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »

They did Hello Little Girl and I'm In Love, written by Lennon/McCartney.

This is Baby I Need Your Lovin. Watch when the stage starts moving!

roW3mVUX88w

Hello Little Girl:
s5wMjjYsP7U

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: The Fourmost
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »

yeah they weren't too good in the looks department tho...
Lead guitarist / singer Brian O' Hara and bass guitarist / singer Billy Hatton, friends since grammar school, formed The Blue Jays in 1958. The group changed their name to the Four Jays, and made their debut at the Cavern Club on March 1, 1961, nearly three weeks before The Beatles. Rhythm guitarist / singer Mike Millward joined the Four Jays in November 1961, followed by the drummer/singer Dave Lovelady in September 1962. In the summer of 1963, the group -- now called The Fourmost -- signed a management contract with Brian Epstein. This led to their being auditioned by George Martin and signed to EMI's Parlophone record label.

With Epstein as their manager, The Fourmost (like Cilla Black, Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas, Peter and Gordon, and Tommy Quickly) had access to early Lennon-McCartney compositions which were typically felt to be unsuitable for The Beatles themselves to record. The Fourmost's first two singles were written by John Lennon. "Hello Little Girl", one of the earliest Lennon songs (dating back to 1957), and reportedly written while Lennon was "on the toilet", was released on August 30, 1963. Their fine follow-up single, "I'm in Love" (Lennon/McCartney), was released on November 15, 1963, and sounded remarkably Beatlesque at the time. It was notable as one of the earliest Beatles penned songs to be released in the United States but, like the group's other singles, it failed to chart there.

Their biggest hit followed. "A Little Lovin'", written by Russ Alquist, reached Number 6 in the UK in mid 1964. But from this point on, none of their singles would crack the Top 20 in the UK, and some failed to chart at all. "How Can I Tell Her" was followed by a re-make of "Baby I Need Your Loving" (which sounded as if it were sung by teenagers, not adults); "Everything In The Garden"; and "Girls, Girls, Girls" (originally recorded by The Coasters and a hit for Elvis Presley).

The group's only album, First and Fourmost from September 1965 contained a version of Jackie DeShannon's "Till You Say You'll Be Mine" with vocal harmonies and a guitar arrangement nearly as good as the definitive version by The Searchers. Other notable tracks included "My Block", a convincing re-make of "The In Crowd", and cover versions of Little Richard's "The Girl Can't Help It" and "Heebie Jeebies". The lead vocal performance on the later song sounded like Paul McCartney imitating John Lennon doing Little Richard.

In August 1966, they released a version of "Here, There and Everywhere" which seemed to channel The Lettermen -- albeit with British accents. They also released a cover version of George Formby's "Auntie Maggie's Remedy" in November 1966. This song represented a comic/cabaret facet to some of the group's recordings, songs which included "Baby Sittin' Boogie" and Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller's "Yakety Yak". The country influenced "Turn The Lights Down Low" (the B-side of "Auntie Maggie's Remedy") may have been a short-lived effort to branch out to less pop oriented fare, as the song was reminiscent of The Beatles' "I'm Looking Through You", only not as memorable.

In 1968, now recording for the CBS record label, they recorded a version of "Apple Peaches Pumpkin Pie", a popular R&B hit by Jay & The Techniques; followed by "Rosetta" (suggested by Paul McCartney, who played piano on it), and "Easy Squeezy". The group eventually stopped recording, and became popular on the cabaret circuit.

Mike Millward died from leukemia in 1966. Brian O'Hara took his own life in 1999.

from wiki....

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: The Fourmost
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 05:12:45 PM »

Page created in 0.582 seconds with 39 queries.