Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Author Topic: Recently Bought C.D.'s  (Read 60212 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Recently Bought C.D.'s
« Reply #400 on: July 04, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »

That version of 'Let's Spend The Night Together' is really rather good isn't it!

I don't particularly want to start up an argument, honest, but Bowie's version (1973, hmmm) is the worst cover version, Stones or otherwise, I have ever heard (apart from 'American Pie' by Madonna, obviously), but this is pretty groovy.

'Out of Time' seems to work (slightly) less well.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #401 on: July 05, 2014, 01:54:57 AM »

That version of 'Let's Spend The Night Together' is really rather good isn't it!

'Out of Time' seems to work (slightly) less well.

Yes, they are indeed rather good.  My favorite Beatles cover, and it happens to be a bossa nova arrangement, is The Fool On The Hill by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66...

FOOL ON THE HILL - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

There are times, depending on my mood, that I like it better than the original.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #402 on: July 07, 2014, 03:40:08 AM »

Some more Bossa n' Stones for you, oldbrownshoe...

Bossa n´ Stones - Ruby Tuesday

Honky Tonk Women
I can stay till it's time to go

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #403 on: July 11, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »

My cup runneth over Hello Goodbye!
In the spirit of celebrating the 50th Anniversary of 'A Hard Day's Night' I've been playing the Stones' 'Five By Five' EP from that same summer.
One thing struck me, and it obviously applies to The Beatles as well, and that is just HOW MUCH stuff those lads put out in the 60s.

Starting from the previous summer ('63), '5 by 5' was their second stand-alone EP, their 4th stand-alone 45 (including 3 stand-alone b-sides) had just come out, and they'd recorded a fabulous debut LP, their 2nd LP due to come out at the start of '65. And that's quite apart from BBC sessions, TV appearances, touring etc.

In 2014, that work-rate of 18 months would be stretched out to fill a decade.....and it wouldn't touch what The Stones (or The Beatles) put out. 

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »

I had to buy 'Paradise Theater' from Styx AGAIN because I couldn't find it and my brother wanted to borrow it. I don't know what happens to them sometimes.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #405 on: July 12, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »

I saw Midlake at a festival last week and was impressed enough to order their last two albums.

Midlake - Aurora Gone

KelMar

« Reply #406 on: July 13, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »

I had to buy 'Paradise Theater' from Styx AGAIN because I couldn't find it and my brother wanted to borrow it. I don't know what happens to them sometimes.

I can't seem to find mine either. I was sure I saved it. It was a picture disc, wasn't it?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #407 on: July 13, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »

I can't seem to find mine either. I was sure I saved it. It was a picture disc, wasn't it?

Its official. There's a Styx thief out there.

Seriously Kelley, i'm not sure about the picture disc. I only had the CD.

KelMar

« Reply #408 on: July 19, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »

Its official. There's a Styx thief out there.

ha2ha

Seriously Kelley, i'm not sure about the picture disc. I only had the CD.

I forgot this is a thread about CDs! I had the album and the 8 track. I listened to the tape more, in my '72 Cutlass (which I got in 1980 when I was a senior in high school). If I listened to the album now I would probably remember the exact moments when the program changed on the 8 track since I tended to leave the same tape in the deck for weeks on end. LOL

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #409 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »

I finally got around to buying the Doris Troy CD (1963) in the huge Japanese Atlantic Soul/Jazz campaign.

Those 60s LPs are perfect - great sleeves, 12 songs, over in 30 minutes.....virtually the template for great pop music, and one which The Beatles and Stones followed to the letter on their early releases.

I'm in London tomorrow so I'm going to pick up another couple, possibly the Booker T. '66 record and Archie Bell & The Drells from '68. Or maybe The Mar-Kays? Or Carla Thomas? Too much choice!
All just £5 each.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #410 on: November 07, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »

The price of music is getting ridiculous.....

The Doors - 'Strange Days' - the edition that 'The Sunday Times' put out about 6/7 years ago - 25p.
You can't get a packet of crisps for 25p!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #411 on: December 04, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »

Started on a new enterprise - buying music (CDs - physical product as opposed to non-physical product) for as little outlay as possible.

So far.....
1. The Doors - 'Strange Days' - (mint) 25p.
2. The Beach Boys - 'Pet Sounds' mono & stereo versions on one CD - (mint) 50p.

Bobber

« Reply #412 on: December 04, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »

Started on a new enterprise - buying music (CDs - physical product as opposed to non-physical product) for as little outlay as possible.

Mmm. I would have to check the prices over here. There is hardly a cd-stop left.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #413 on: December 04, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »

My source = charity shops on the high street (Oxfam, Scope, British Heart Foundation etc.).

I'll focus on CDs up to £2 and really only blues and pop music from the mid-50s to about 1972 although, for example, U2's whole back catalogue could be purchased in this way for about £15.

Let's see what a Top 10 looks (and costs) like. 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #414 on: December 07, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »

Erm.....'Beatles For Sale'.....bought on the equivalent Friday to the one in 1964.

The 2009 edition of the CD was a whopping £12.99, but the going rate for the 1980s issues is anything from £4 to £7 in Soho. I got my 'Beatles For Sale' (absolute mint copy) for £5 in Berwick Street.

One observation - I actually only saw one copy of 'Beatles For Sale', but I must have seen 10 copies of 'A Hard Day's Night'.

Another observation - Why on earth did Apple go so early on the reissues when there was an actually anniversary (the 50th!) just around the corner?
Surely now is the time for a new, sparkling version of 'Beatles For Sale' (with mono AND stereo on one CD) to be in the shops for Christmas. Doh!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #415 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:46 PM »

Seriously might break my aversion to box sets.

Not with the (alas) over-priced 'Basement Tapes', The Beatles' mono box or even with the rather reasonably priced 'The Velvet Underground' but with.....THE RUBBLE COLLECTION VOLS. 1-20 (320 tracks!) that appears to be around the £50 or $88 mark.

If you don't know, Rubble was a set of 60s pysch comps put out in the (truly dire) 1980s to keep us from all falling asleep.

If a brilliant British 45 was put out between '66 and '69 that sold diddly squat but had the ambition to be as good (and often be better than) 'Penny Lane', rest assured it was on a Rubble compilation. 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #416 on: December 15, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »

1. The Doors - 'Strange Days' (25p)
2. The Beach Boys - 'Pet Sounds' mono & stereo (50p) and now.....

3. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - '24 Greatest Hits - Compact Command Performances' for £1.99 (mint).

This was a very early CD release in 1986 (one of the first on Motown I believe) and has the appalling graphic design of the 1980s to prove it.
Indeed in 1986, no doubt retailing at £15-£18, it would have been just the kind of release I would have studiously avoided.

That said, on what would have been a double-LP, you get 17 UK a-sides, 5 UK b-sides, and two late 60s US a-sides which don't seem to have had a release over here, all of which date from 1963 to 1971.
This begs the question, if 24 tracks could be accommodated on a single CD in 1986, why has that amount of material on a single disc only become standard practice in the last 15 or so years?

The sound quality is excellent being very true to how the original 45s sounded - I made sure to check on the Internet before buying, hiding the CD in a place no one ever goes.....the classical music section!

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2014, 12:34:14 AM »

"This Is Sinatra"

Originally released in 1956.  A collection of Singles and B Sides from 1953-1955.  This goes nicely with the concept albums he released in the 50s. 
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »

Doesn't count in the 'cheap box' as it was £2.99, but struggled through 1980s Doors' vinyl four times the cost of what I paid for it in the dire 1980s, to get to a CD on Ace of a 1963 LP by The Scottsville Squirrel Brothers.

Who they?

None other than Chris Hillman's (he of The Byrds) first group.
It now joins the 'Kes' soundtrack as the shortest length LP in my collection, clocking in at a taut 20 minutes!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #419 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »

Another for the cheap box AND with a Beatles connection via George Martin.

4. The Goons - 'Complete Singles' (mint - £1.99)

John, Paul, George & Ringo must have heard most, if not all of these, in Liverpool in the mid-to-late 50s. 
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 81 queries.