Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 9/11 Doc with Paul  (Read 4954 times)

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
9/11 Doc with Paul
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »

Showtime will air Paul McCartney's 9/11-themed documentary, "The Love We Make," premiering it the night before the 10th anniversary of the tragic day.
Albert Maysles and Bradley Kaplan directed the black-and-white "Love," which follows McCartney through the streets of New York City in the aftermath of the destruction of the World Trade Center and into the planning of a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden six weeks later.

"It was an honor to be able to help New York and America at that time in its history," McCartney said. "There was a feeling of shock and fear in the air that I thought we could help alleviate with music. And the fact that so many people stepped up to join us made for a very uplifting evening for us all."

The feature doc is buttressed by previously unseen footage and interviews, as well as concert performances by David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, James Taylor, Pete Townsend and more.

"Paul McCartney and Albert Maysles are each, in their own fields, iconic artists whose collaboration goes back more than 40 years," Showtime entertainment prexy David Nevins said. "In the days following 9/11, they joined forces once again to make a very personal film that is a real testament to the spirit and resiliency of New York City."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: 9/11 Doc with Paul
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:52:04 PM »

If it means listening to 'Freedom' again, i'm skipping it.

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:26:41 AM »

I'm betting they'll work that in. ;)

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:24:53 AM »

ha2ha

Don't know why Paul is doing this. Somehow it doesn't seem to be a good move. But I bet he is a better businessman than I am.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »

In my opinion, Paul's "Freedom" is the antithesis of John's "Love".
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Paul McCartney's 9/11 Documentary to Debut on Showtime
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:51 AM »

Paul McCartney's 9/11 Documentary to Debut on Showtime

'The Love You Make' will follow the singer as he prepares for a benefit concert

By Matthew Perpetua, Rolling Stone

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-mccartneys-9-11-documentary-to-debut-on-showtime-20110720

"The Love We Make", a documentary about Paul McCartney's experiences in New York City immediately after 9/11 is set to premiere on Showtime one day before the 10th anniversary of the historic attack. The black and white film is mainly focused on the Beatles legend's work in planning and preparing for the Concert for New York City benefit show six weeks afterward.

The documentary will feature footage of McCartney rehearsing for the gig along with clips of the singer talking to New Yorkers on the street and cameo appearances from Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Leonardo DiCaprio and Bill Clinton. The film was directed by Albert Maysles, one half of the filmmaking duo that made the Rolling Stones movie Gimme Shelter and the cult classic Grey Gardens.

---The article failed to mention that Albert Maysles, along with his brother David, worked on "What's Happening! The Beatles In The USA". The footage was used for "The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit"  which documents the Beatles' US trip as they travel to New York City, Washington, DC, and Miami Beach in February, 1964.

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:21:03 AM »

Quote from: I am the Paulrus
The article failed to mention that Albert Maysles, along with his brother David, worked on "What's Happening! The Beatles In The USA". The footage was used for "The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit"  which documents the Beatles' US trip as they travel to New York City, Washington, DC, and Miami Beach in February, 1964.

Oh, that's right! That was an excellent film so this new one would be worth watching I think.

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »

Hey! I like Freedom.  ;D

But anyway, I think it's great that Paul is doing something like this.  :) He was just broadcast from my city last night, my mom saw it on the news as I was at the concert.

I will definitely tune in to see this.

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:17 PM »

It was very well done! The footage of Paul in the back of the limo harken back to the scenes of him with The Beatles in that limo in "The First U.S. Visit." Recollections of Paul with Dan Rather sitting in the Ed Sullivan Theater watching video footage on a telly on the very stage where they debuted in 1964. In Paul's dressing room, there hung a b/w photo of the Imagine mosaic with flowers on it@ Strawberry Fields in Central Park. It was kewl seeing Ozzy Osborne meeting Paul and thanking him for their contributions to music that helped inspire him. How come Brian Ray and Paul "Wix" Wickens weren't with Paul and the rest of the band for the Concert for NYC? Where were they? There was some guy named Gary who was playing keyboards for Paul. Good to see Zak Starkey playing drums for The Who. I laughed when Paul did this impression of Mick Jagger when he was talking to Eric Clapton. Was that true what Paul said or was he joking when he was saying that the line in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" started out originally as "A boy with kaliedoscope eyes" but was later changed to "A girl with kaliedoscope eyes"? When Paul was visiting the NYCFD firehouses, what a coincidence that Paul stands in front of a fire engine that is number 9! Though this documentary was released now in conjunction of the 10th anniversary of 9.11, couldn't Paul have released it years ago? And noticed there was no sign, whatsoever, of Heather Mills in the film. Was Yoko at the Concert for NYC?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 02:13:34 AM »

I watched this the other day and something didnt sit right with me. I was kind of bothered how the other musicians like Billy Joel, Pete Townshend, James Taylor, and everybody else seemed like they were kissing Pauls ass. They would try to have a conversation with him and he would talk and so forth, but seemed distant and like only his stuff mattered. Clapton was the only person that commanded a little respect in my opinion. I mean when Paul acted a little bummed because Billy Joel wanted to play the organ solo on 'Let It Be', I about flipped. One of the greatest piano players in modern music cant handle that little f***ing solo? Give me a break.

I'll give Paul some credit though, he really stood behind and tried to sell 'Freedom'. I wonder if Clapton and everybody else threw up in their mouths a little like I did? I watched the concert and was digging 'From A Lover To A Friend' and 'Lonely Road' (best song on Driving Rain) and then he brought out 'Freedom'. I switched it over to Sportscenter for awhile and then he sang 'Let It Be' with everybody helping out. I thought that was cool and then 'Freedom' again? I said screw it and went to bed.

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »

I didn't like it at all. I thought Paul comes off looking really conceited. I guess the director wanted to focus on Paul,but I was bored to tears watching Paul sitting in a car,walking in the streets,doing boring interviews,sitting backstage at the concert chitchatting with a whole slew of celebrities who had absolutely nothing interesting to say.
The only interesting celebrity was Howard Stern and Paul ridicules him. I don't understand what was so bad about Howard asking him if he'd ever slept with a black chick. I'd like to know.
Robin said she already knew the answer was yes(the Ronnettes?),but I've never heard anything about it one way or another. The way Paul reacted seemed a little racist to me,and I'd bet the answer is no.
For a special concert,he should have ditched the crappy new songs(sorry,didn't like any of them) and went with 3 more of the dozens of classics he has.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:39 PM »

I thought Paul comes off looking really conceited.

I agree

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 66 queries.