Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Perfection in music  (Read 7631 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Perfection in music
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 02:31:32 AM »

I think Art Garfunkel's vocals on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" come pretty near to perfection. Just my opinion.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »

I think Art Garfunkel's vocals on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" come pretty near to perfection. Just my opinion.

I agree with this

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 07:46:02 AM »

OK.

There are exceptions to the rule, I'd site 'Pet Sounds', but after 'Sgt. Pepper's' especially (my least favourite Beatles album) the world became awash with bands - in the lesser years afterwards - with a 6th form lyricist in tow, who made appallingly po-faced, pseudo-intellectual crap, in the belief it was somehow more 'important' than 'Johnny B. Goode' or 'Peggy Sue'. It wasn't, as history has shown.

This was the opposite of rock 'n' roll and far more reminiscent of how people listened to classical music/easy listening/Sinatra BEFORE the mid-50s.
It's the one thing I completely agree with the little punkoids on.

Perfection in pop music is a misnomer. It's imperfections in pop music that make it exciting (see any early rock 'n' roll song or the 'mistake' at the beginning of 'I Feel Fine'). Give me a ramshackle group in the back of a pub any day (see 'Hamburg', a level of grit and excitement the Beatles never equalled).

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »

Perfection in pop music is a misnomer. It's imperfections in pop music that make it exciting (see any early rock 'n' roll song or the 'mistake' at the beginning of 'I Feel Fine'). Give me a ramshackle group in the back of a pub any day (see 'Hamburg', a level of grit and excitement the Beatles never equalled).

I guess I was thinking of this thread as examples of one-off, discrete examples of perfection, not perfection in a total song. I, too, prefer the rougher (e.g., those that contain mistakes or background chatter) earlier songs to today's Auto-Tuned perfection. Maybe I've read the thread wrong.

So, in regard to my own post, I think Art Garfunkel's vocals on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" come close to perfection, not the song itself.

KelMar

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »

I guess I was thinking of this thread as examples of one-off, discrete examples of perfection, not perfection in a total song. I, too, prefer the rougher (e.g., those that contain mistakes or background chatter) earlier songs to today's Auto-Tuned perfection. Maybe I've read the thread wrong.

So, in regard to my own post, I think Art Garfunkel's vocals on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" come close to perfection, not the song itself.

No, Kathy, I think you read it correctly. At least you read it the same way I did! And I agree with your choice; that is a song that makes me stop what I'm doing (when possible), close my eyes and just soak it in.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »

Yep, fair enough Normandie.
Just thought I'd use it as a reason to randomly slag off Prog Rock.
It would be a sad world if you couldn't do that!

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 12:23:02 AM »

Id like to complain to the mod team here.

I started this thread with an explanation of what I consider to be points in music that were perfect to me, I asked other posters what they considered perfection and some did with interesting points and examples made.

Then oldbrownshoe started posting on it and completely derailed it by being sarcastic and dissing things that had been mentioned.
Th problem with this is.

A) The thread has been derailed from its original intention
B) People may feel stupid posting a youtube clip if its going to get dissed
C) I was hoping that posters could put forward a song from any period without their choice being criticised (or called 'crap')

I feel the thread is now finished with obs and his usual wumming, and hatred of anything past Revolver.

That sums up my complaint. Another thread ruined and I dont have much (if any) desire to start any more.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »

Id like to complain to the mod team here.

I started this thread with an explanation of what I consider to be points in music that were perfect to me, I asked other posters what they considered perfection and some did with interesting points and examples made.

Then oldbrownshoe started posting on it and completely derailed it by being sarcastic and dissing things that had been mentioned.
Th problem with this is.

A) The thread has been derailed from its original intention
B) People may feel stupid posting a youtube clip if its going to get dissed
C) I was hoping that posters could put forward a song from any period without their choice being criticised (or called 'crap')

I feel the thread is now finished with obs and his usual wumming, and hatred of anything past Revolver.

That sums up my complaint. Another thread ruined and I dont have much (if any) desire to start any more.

It's a pity you feel this way Kevin. Indeed, you started a great thread and it was to be expected someone would disagree with choices that were made. It's pretty easy to ignore the OBS comments if you should wish to.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 53 queries.