Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My New York experiences with Paul  (Read 15368 times)

Re: My New York experiences with Paul
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2004, 09:07:39 PM »

Famous people understand that people are ALWAYS going to ask them for autographs, but obviously some days it's not going to be convenient or maybe they've got out of bed on the wrong side - you've just been unlucky! I'm sure there are millions of fans with great stories to tell - like that homeless hippy who John found living in his garden!

Well, let's remember that the Lennons were filming that event, so it's easier to be cool when you're kind of playing to the camera lens. And this is especially the case with Paul. From what I've seen, he's all smiles and "public relations" when he's on camera, as witnessed in the BACK IN THE U.S.A. video where he signs a few autographs from out of his limo! :)

Don't get me wrong, I think you guys are 100% right that I just got Paul on a bad day (as we surmised) and it was indeed a risk I took. I was just unlucky that day, you're right. It's just too bad I had to witness his rage like that; it's not the one image I want to have etched in my mind of my one close encounter with James Paul McCartney, after being a Beatles fan my whole life! But that's the way it went, unfortunately.

Regarding Paul losing it with that fan and her statue - he was obviously extremely stressed (and we've sumised why) and all of us have days when we throw our dummies out of the pram...

Agreed.  Besides, this girl has photos posing together with Paul dating back to the early '70s. It was upon seeing her at this hotel AGAIN that set him off. I don't think he would have been thrilled  no matter WHO he saw at his hotel that day, but seeing this girl in particular seemed to inspire a bad reaction. Kind of like, "YOU AGAIN?? YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY!!" -- He really wasn't addressing me or the one other girl who was with us.

By the way, you're not going to believe this part of the story (which I left out).. After I was dissed by Paul, I walked back to catch the train and I actually saw what looked like another McCartney looking through a shop window with his girlfriend. I recognized him immediately -- he was Mitch Weissman, the "lookalike" who played Paul in the BEATLEMANIA stage show in 1978. I swear to God, true story! I just shook his hand and told him the Paul story I had witnessed only minutes earlier. It was like a TWILIGHT ZONE episode! :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2004, 09:17:20 PM »

2.) The 'p*ssed half of the Beatles' line was funny.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2004, 09:25:14 PM »

Sure, it seems so easy: making people happy by just signing your name on a piece of paper. That doesn't seem like such an unpleasant thing to do, right? But Paul McCartney has been herassed by people who want something from him almost non-stop for the last 40 years... I can't blame the guy if he gets fed up with it every once in a while... He's a real person and not a public property.

Oh, believe me, I understand. I do try to imagine what it's like ... Paul gets up, goes outside, there's a mob waiting for autographs. He gets into a cab, the guy wants his autograph. He then goes to a TV studio, every technician wants an autograph. Etc... Etc...
The ones who get lucky, think he's cool. The ones that are unlucky think he's not. I really get it.

But about Paul's not being public property -- who's being treated like "property" when the star says "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!!!"...?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2004, 12:26:31 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=22 date=1090013114]

But about Paul's not being public property -- who's being treated like "property" when the star says "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!!!"...?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2004, 12:38:25 AM »

And another thing I'd like to add (no offense):

It's cool if you want to meet your idol when the chance is there, but I think that when you're wasting days of your life just to meet someone for a few seconds, you really degradate yourself and make some kind of supreme being of the other. It's almost as if you say to that person that those few seconds of his life are of more worth than an entire day or your own life.

I believe that all people are equal and that doesn't just mean that I think that no one is less than me or you, but it also means that I think that no one is more. Not even Paul McCartney.

Again, no offense.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2004, 01:26:03 AM »

And another thing I'd like to add (no offense):

It's cool if you want to meet your idol when the chance is there, but I think that when you're wasting days of your life just to meet someone for a few seconds, you really degradate yourself and make some kind of supreme being of the other. It's almost as if you say to that person that those few seconds of his life are of more worth than an entire day or your own life.

I wouldn't have minded investing some time to see Elvis, to be at Woodstock, to see The Beatles at Shea Stadium, to say I met JFK, etc....

I really don't think that approximately 24 hours or so - split over the course of three different days,

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2004, 01:28:48 AM »

Could it be that she has a restraining order or something?

Plus, he also could've just said "f*** off", but when you're dealing with a long time stalker, "You're not supposed to be here" sounds fairly nice, almost like an advice.

No, there was no restraining order. And the girl was very attractive, not some sort of freakizoid or anything. She wasn't hurting him. Anyway, regardless of how Paul's words read here on the computer, he YELLED in a nasty tone and threw the gift out of the window. Nothing nice about it, trust me. A real shocker.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2004, 03:38:55 AM »

Well his friend happened to be killed by a stalker so maybe it just freaks him out. That and the fact that his wife was dying at the time probably didn't put him in the greatest mood. But yeah, how rude of him not to stop and sign another bunch of autographs! ;)

Also, I don't think a persons age has anything to do with getting how important the Beatles are. Some people just don't go in for the whole idol worship thing. I think seeing him in concert is much more exciting than seeing him get into a car or sign a bit of paper. Now if he sings to you while signing it......

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2004, 04:25:22 AM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=15 date=1089952461]

Huh!?! What!! That's very cool.

P.S.
Did you get her autograph? ;D

[/quote]

No, I talked to her for a few minutes, and I have a photo of us shaking hands.
She was quite gracious and nice.

Her wailing and screaming were a bit disarming tho.  ;-D

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2004, 04:29:49 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=21 date=1090012640]

Yes, I realize that. I wasn't annoyed, it's just that I guess I'm a stickler to "make it understood rightly". No anger here -- just that, even with the smiley and the joke, the truth is that "I" didn't do anything to them! :)

***No, of course not, and I doubt anyone except you thought that.  Which is fine, because we all read things that hit us just...wrong.

Well, it's the old "if you snooze, you lose" philosophy, no matter where you live. Say you're a big fan of McCartney, both as a Beatle and especially as a solo artist - and you know you've got a rare opportunity to possibly see him and maybe get an autograph. Do you take the opportunity or let it pass you by? To me, it's a no-brainer. It should be a natural excitement to fans as serious into the group as we are. They're not going to knock on your door, y'know! :)

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2004, 04:35:42 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=26 date=1090027728]

No, there was no restraining order. And the girl was very attractive, not some sort of freakizoid or anything. She wasn't hurting him. Anyway, regardless of how Paul's words read here on the computer, he YELLED in a nasty tone and threw the gift out of the window. Nothing nice about it, trust me. A real shocker. [/quote]

Again, pure supposition on my part, but if this has ANYthing to do with the cancer diagnosis being in that time frame, and perhaps Linda (as well as Paul) being devastated, and them trying to book off to be alone somewhere (where traversing public streets is a necessity)...well, it seems that IF all the above was true I would not have a problem with Paul's reaction.

Last year I lost my wife to breast cancer.  She was 47 and had it for ten years.

I remember the anguish and confusion and anger in being faced with dealing with it, especially at a young age (she was 36 initially).  And it would have been impossible for me to function as the usual Paul PR person in that time.  Needing to collect one's thoughts, as it were.

Again, a HUGE supposition on my part.  Maybe Paul, like all of us, can be a petulant a**hole.  In fact, I'm betting on it.  But sometimes...

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2004, 10:01:47 AM »

That and the fact that his wife was dying at the time probably didn't put him in the greatest mood. But yeah, how rude of him not to stop and sign another bunch of autographs!

First of all, I have no idea that Linda had the diagnosis yet; that's just a guess on my part, after the fact. I don't know. Amazing that Linda herself was very cordial and friendly though, isn't it? She was gracious and said "hello" while Paul went into his tantrum, incidentally...

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2004, 10:13:38 AM »

Again, pure supposition on my part, but if this has ANYthing to do with the cancer diagnosis being in that time frame, and perhaps Linda (as well as Paul) being devastated, and them trying to book off to be alone somewhere (where traversing public streets is a necessity)...well, it seems that IF all the above was true I would not have a problem with Paul's reaction.

Last year I lost my wife to breast cancer.  She was 47 and had it for ten years.

I remember the anguish and confusion and anger in being faced with dealing with it, especially at a young age (she was 36 initially).  And it would have been impossible for me to function as the usual Paul PR person in that time.  Needing to collect one's thoughts, as it were.

Again, a HUGE supposition on my part.  Maybe Paul, like all of us, can be a petulant a**hole.  In fact, I'm betting on it.  But sometimes...

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. I had no idea and I'm sorry if I stirred up something in you; I didn't mean to do that. And believe me, I'm not telling you this as someone with no potential for being able to relate... My own wife is 36 right now (we just celebrated our ten year anniversary), and I don't know what I would do if I were faced with such a blow. It's actually one of the big fears of my life. My sincere condolensces....

But I appreciate the fact that you're being more open-minded than some others about this situation with Paul. Again, I have no idea whatsoever if Linda had her diagnosis at that time or not; it was only well after the fact that I reflected and thought, "I wonder if THAT'S why Paul was so angry that day?" Perhaps I was trying to look for some sort of justification in my mind as well.

As I told the other guy, and which was a detail I left out, if Linda was indeed ill at that time, she sure was very kind and gracious before Paul was screaming. She actually smiled and said "hello" as the limo pulled in front of us, before Paul went off. Linda was on our side in the car; Paul was on the far end.

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2004, 04:36:26 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=32 date=1090059218]

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.

***Thanks.

I had no idea and I'm sorry if I stirred up something in you; I didn't mean to do that.

***Please, no apologies.  You didn't.  I was just using it as a point, I don't know if I've ever even mentioned it here before (I think I might have, long ago).  Anyway, there's no way you could know.  I appreciate the sentiments tho, thanks.

And believe me, I'm not telling you this as someone with no potential for being able to relate... My own wife is 36 right now (we just celebrated our ten year anniversary), and I don't know what I would do if I were faced with such a blow. It's actually one of the big fears of my life. My sincere condolensces....

***Again, thanks.  And yes, until it hits you don't think about it much (why would you?) and I'm sure you and your wife wil live together for many long, happy years.  :)

But I appreciate the fact that you're being more open-minded than some others about this situation with Paul. Again, I have no idea whatsoever if Linda had her diagnosis at that time or not; it was only well after the fact that I reflected and thought, "I wonder if THAT'S why Paul was so angry that day?" Perhaps I was trying to look for some sort of justification in my mind as well.

***Yes.  I have no knowledge of the time frame of this, I only remember someone commenting on the possibility of a recent diagnosis and threw it out there.  Like I said, maybe on occasion, in public, the guy can be a prick.  :)

As I told the other guy, and which was a detail I left out, if Linda was indeed ill at that time, she sure was very kind and gracious before Paul was screaming. She actually smiled and said "hello" as the limo pulled in front of us, before Paul went off. Linda was on our side in the car; Paul was on the far end.

[/quote]

***She might have been embarassed for him.  Especially as the world knows what a huge 'gotta love me' type person Paul is, one who is so locked into a lifelong PR campaign that he simply cannot pass up an opportunity to glad hand someone.  Maybe to her it was a barometer of just how upset HE was and she decided to calm him by being clam herself.

Like I say, ALL pure imagining on my part, so it may all be just p*ssing in the wind.

Still some pretty cool stories tho!  :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2004, 06:37:17 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=25 date=1090027563]

Maybe being 25 (I just checked your profile) you don't have the same sense of importance and relevance as I do regarding the Beatles, and that would make a difference, I think.

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2004, 11:36:53 PM »

I'm very well aware of the fact that Paul McCartney is the greatest living musical legend at the moment (since Elvis and John Lennon are both dead) and that pretty much every single person in the civilized world knows him...

I'm not talking about "being aware of it," I'm talking about living it over the decades, having grown up with The Beatles and their music while they were doing it.

I do look up to him and idolize him to a certain level, but that doesn't mean I would lower myself (again, no offense) by almost begging him to give me some attention. I just feel too good for that.

Good for you. But as far as I'm concerned, it's not "lowering" one's self, but that's your problem if you derive no excitement over it (no offense). In my mind, I'm not "lowering myself" in the least, and that's what matters to me.

And I don't think that has anything to do with age, I used to be a very fanatic autograph collector as a kid, I had hundreds of autographs, but I completely grew over that.

I'm sorry to hear that. Glad I haven't. (no offense)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2004, 09:57:24 AM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089839670,s=30 date=1090038942]

Last year I lost my wife to breast cancer.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2004, 10:37:09 AM »

when dealing with that kind of loss, it is'nt a surprise that he may have had a moment.

I think I should clarify again that I have no idea whether or not Linda even had her diagnosis yet. All I can tell you is, she was in a good mood and was gracious and cheerful, while Paul was the party pooper.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2004, 11:06:10 AM »

I'm hearing you. We'll never know for sure eh? He could have just felt real protective of her. It still does'nt warrant the behaviour though. Just a simple explanation from him may have helped.
Oh well. No use crying over spilt milk...etc. etc.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2004, 03:56:19 PM »

No use crying over spilt milk...

... or a crystalized gift :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 71 queries.