Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Pete Best  (Read 75156 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Re: Pete Best
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2008, 02:57:04 PM »

I collaborated on a book with Pete called 'The Best Years Of The Beatles' and spent a week with him at his home taping his entire life story. The book was published in Britain by Headline, but not published internationally. Pete told me in detail what had happened and he was unaware that the planning to oust him had been going on for some time. I do know that George went to Ringo's house to ask him to join them, but Ringo was in Butlins with Rory Storm & the Hurricanes at the time. I mentioned it in Mersey Beat which is perhaps why Bruno gave him that black eye!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »

Quote from: 1062
I collaborated on a book with Pete called 'The Best Years Of The Beatles' and spent a week with him at his home taping his entire life story. The book was published in Britain by Headline, but not published internationally. Pete told me in detail what had happened and he was unaware that the planning to oust him had been going on for some time. I do know that George went to Ringo's house to ask him to join them, but Ringo was in Butlins with Rory Storm & the Hurricanes at the time. I mentioned it in Mersey Beat which is perhaps why Bruno gave him that black eye!

Wow! I know about the black eye, I think there are pics of George in Studio #2 (for the first time) sporting a shiner. Who was Bruno?

BTW, was it Mona Best that Mal fathered a child with?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »

Mona fathered a child with Neil.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

Yes, Roag Best is Neil's son. Bruno was a Best fan and he hit George in the eye when they appeared at the Cavern. On the front page of Mersey Beat, where Brian had a special photo taken for me of the Beatles at Speke Airport on their way to London for the recording session, George can clearly be seen with the black eye. This issue is now available on  www.rockandpopshop.com

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »

Wonderful entries. Thanks, Bill.

Amazon's copy of  'The Best Years Of The Beatles'  is for sale for over $100, so I don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon. Any chance of a reprint?
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2008, 07:32:46 AM »

Quote from: 568

Who was Bruno?

Bruno Koshmider. He owned the Kaiserkeller in Hamburg where The Beatles played in 1960.

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »

What a magnanimous, healing gesture it would be for Paul to invite Pete over for a little chat. Even better to ask him over to jam on a new project. It really would benefit Paul more than anyone. Such an amazing amount of good karma would accrue.

Pete really has been such a gentleman about the whole thing. God, if it were me, I would have quite an ax to grind. It would be hard to hold my tongue and be civil.

I have to say that Pete's Anthology windfall was a first step by Paul etc. in the right direction. That largess allowed Pete to take early retirement and get back into playing music and meeting the fans on a regular basis.

Goodbye Liverpool Employment Office 9 to 5 grind. Back to the drum kit.

As an aside, I was once visiting Liverpool almost twenty years ago, to research a writing project and I telephoned Pete at his job. The man was such a gentleman, so polite. He was extremely courteous to this complete stranger who called out of the blue. He took the time to explain that he was terribly busy at the moment and that he wasn't doing interviews at that time in his life. I got the message and apologized for bothering him at work. He wished me the best of luck with my project; and I was left with an after image of a warm, kind and generous person.

I still feel fortunate to have been able to talk to him on the telephone for five minutes.

Come on, Paul.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »

... Who was Bruno?

Quote from: 1062
... Bruno was a Best fan and he hit George in the eye when they appeared at the Cavern...

Quote from: 483

Bruno Koshmider. He owned the Kaiserkeller in Hamburg where The Beatles played in 1960.

BM, are you sure you are talking about the same Bruno that Bill Harry is? I guess your Hamburg Bruno would have to have been visiting the Cavern to bop George one...?

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »

BM, are you sure you are talking about the same Bruno that Bill Harry is? I guess your Hamburg Bruno would have to have been visiting the Cavern to bop George one...?

I don't know for sure, but it's quite possible. Koshmider had been in England before. Didn't he hire Derry & The Seniors?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

Quote from: 483

I don't know for sure, but it's quite possible. Koshmider had been in England before. Didn't he hire Derry & The Seniors?

Yes, and I'd LOVE to see/hear them in action. They looked jamming at the Weymouth social club from the still photo. I suppose we'll never see/hear them. I wonder what Paul thought about them?

Mr. Harry, if you're reading this, did you ever get to hear/see them?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2008, 07:30:17 PM »

Yes, and I'd LOVE to see/hear them in action. They looked jamming at the Weymouth social club from the still photo. I suppose we'll never see/hear them. I wonder what Paul thought about them?

Mr. Harry, if you're reading this, did you ever get to hear/see them?

Bill's on holiday. But referring to his site (http://www.mersey-beat.net/), the band, under the name of Howie and the Seniors, did record and they even did so before The Beatles made their first record. Bill might be of help here!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »

Quote from: 63

Bill's on holiday. But referring to his site (http://www.mersey-beat.net/), the band, under the name of Howie and the Seniors, did record and they even did so before The Beatles made their first record. Bill might be of help here!

Wow, is all I have to say!

Well, not really of course, but I remember reading a thread a while back that asked if any other Liverpool groups had recorded before the Beatles, and here is the answer. THANKS, Bobber.

I will start a new thread for Mr. Harry's attention to see what he might know about the recording, or even what it might have been like to hear them.

Thanks again, Bobber!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2008, 03:21:40 AM »

bruno k didn't punch george...http://beatlesstory.com/wiki/ow.asp?BrunoKoschmider
i thought that it was around this time...
but no black eye there...

Bobber

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2008, 08:36:06 AM »

Not yet. You can see it in this session:

Bobber

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »

Wow, is all I have to say!

Well, not really of course, but I remember reading a thread a while back that asked if any other Liverpool groups had recorded before the Beatles, and here is the answer. THANKS, Bobber.

I will start a new thread for Mr. Harry's attention to see what he might know about the recording, or even what it might have been like to hear them.

Thanks again, Bobber!

You're welcome. Not groups, but artists like Billy Fury and Frankie Vaughan came from Liverpool and recorded before The Beatles did.

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2008, 01:49:54 AM »

Quote from: 284
nice pete interveiw here.....http://beatlesbrunch.com/Features/Articles/petebest.html

sorry haven't signed in for several weeks. Got tied up putting this event together for the first USA concert of the Pete Best Band 2008 tours in Buffalo NY on 5/9.    Rumor has it there may be the debut of new PBB music, but we won't know until the first show on May 8th in Burlington Ontario. (club 54).

Anyhoo...here's the 97rock radio interview on podcast.  http://www.97rock.com/Article.asp?id=668983&spid=21996

Pete will also be on PM Buffalo 430 (or 4?) eastern time on Friday.

full event details  www.tralfmusichall.com

Enjoy the interview. about 10 minutes or so.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2008, 07:17:07 AM »

Bruno was a fan from West Derby in Liverpool, not to be confused with Bruno Koschmeider of the Kaiserkeller. The book I wrote with Pete 'The Best Years Of The Beatles', is available at a normal rate on Pete Best's own site.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2008, 10:38:11 AM »

haymans green is due out soon.....

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »

I just finished listening to that 97 Rock Pete Best interview.

He sounds so happy.

Bravo, Pete.

What a classy guy.

The Beatles were really blessed to have been surrounded by a bunch of pretty nice people like: Pete, Neil, Mona, Brian, George, Mal, Astrid, Klaus, Jurgen, Sam L., Bob W., Bill H, etc., etc., etc.

"Yes, I know I'm a lucky guy..."

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2008, 03:43:48 AM »

Found while surfing:

Ex-Beatles drummer Pete Best rocks on

By ROBERT M. COOK
bcook@fosters.com
Article Date: Saturday, May 10, 2008

DOVER
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 74 queries.