Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: McCartney: when thumb and when middle finger??  (Read 2807 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
McCartney: when thumb and when middle finger??
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »

I don't know if this topic was discussed before, but it appears to be some songs with McCartney using his thumb to play his Höfner:

Beatles She Loves You (With Lyrics)

While at other instances he uses his middle finger:

Beatles-Yesterday

I would like to know your thoughts...

Best!! ;)

Xosé
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

Re: McCartney: when thumb and when middle finger??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »

Yes, Paul I think changed how he played on different songs, sometimes he used a plectrum also. (rooftop?)

Many bassists just used theyre first two fingers to play and always play this way (like a double bass player) but I dont think Paul could make his mind up which he preferred and Ive always felt that he just did whatever he felt like

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:20:23 AM »

I would like to know your thoughts...

i'd say because yesterday is a softer song
-
if u notice in she loves you his bass notes double up with ringo's foot on the bass drum.
the way he's playing with his thumb gives a more percussive attack
it also probably gives him a little more volume to try and compete with all the other noise
-
in the yestersay clip - he's actually playing with his index finger and his middle finger a millisecond behind it- to almost make an elongated running of the two rounded fingertips over the string- like a cellists bow. its a softer longer attack
-
looks so to me anyway
-
very observant xose - i'd never have noticed that and it really speaks to the breadth of mccartney's palette on the low end  ;yes

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »

I believe I have seen a difference on She's A Woman as well.

Rick should know the answer. lol

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:16:32 PM »

There are all kind of reasons for adopting both styles as some mentioned already. There is more control and punchiness with the thumb but the freedom of the fingers for sustaining and then attacking notes is also favourable at times. For instance, playing 'Taxman' there is no way I can play the 'If You Drive a Car' verse with the thumb, I have to go to fingers, same with All My Loving as it's more of a walk. I Got A Feeling is better when I am thumbing rather than 2 fingering as quick examples.
I think pick is the hardest of all for me as I have adopted both the other styles. Personally I have more freedom and it feels more natural to use two fingers though I fee more disciplined and thorough when using the thumb.

Overall for reliable authntic tone, I prefer the thumb I think for most Beatle parts.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »

^ Pretty much the same answer for me. I play tighter when I play with my thumb, but I can play faster and more "flexible" with my fingers. So it depends on the song.

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 03:05:20 AM »

There are all kind of reasons for adopting both styles as some mentioned already. There is more control and punchiness with the thumb but the freedom of the fingers for sustaining and then attacking notes is also favourable at times. For instance, playing 'Taxman' there is no way I can play the 'If You Drive a Car' verse with the thumb, I have to go to fingers, same with All My Loving as it's more of a walk. I Got A Feeling is better when I am thumbing rather than 2 fingering as quick examples.
I think pick is the hardest of all for me as I have adopted both the other styles. Personally I have more freedom and it feels more natural to use two fingers though I fee more disciplined and thorough when using the thumb.

Overall for reliable authntic tone, I prefer the thumb I think for most Beatle parts.

yes I agree, although playing Saw Her Standing There I have to use plectrum, in case I wear my thumb out !

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »

^ Heheeh Fair one. Proper pacey on the bass that one.  ;D
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 52 queries.