Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Have you seen a Beatles film at the cinema?  (Read 3295 times)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Have you seen a Beatles film at the cinema?
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »

In 2001 I saw A Hard Day's Night at the cinema, my Mum had gone out with mates and came home with this leaflet it said A Hard Day's Night was doing a Cinema Tour and was coming to a cinema in my town so I went it was amazing it even had a website of lists of cinemas it was going too. Year later I saw it again at a Filmhouse only this time it wasn't on tour. I also saw Concert GFor George at the cinema it even had a pause cus of a fire alarm and also saw The US VS John Lennon aswell on the big screen.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: Have you seen a Beatles film at the cinema?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:04:39 PM »

I saw Yellow Submarine at the cinema when I was 10/11. I saw a film of their 1964 American tour that had never been shown publicly before (forget the title), in Copenhagen a few years ago. Directed by the same man that did Gimmie Shelter.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »

Quote from: 483
I saw Yellow Submarine at the cinema when I was 10/11. I saw a film of their 1964 American tour that had never been shown publicly before (forget the title), in Copenhagen a few years ago. Directed by the same man that did Gimmie Shelter.

is that the one with the young boy and his camera ? ive seen that one

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »

Quote from: 758

is that the one with the young boy and his camera ? ive seen that one

Nope. It's called 'What's Happening! The Beatles in America'. It was never shown at the time. The director: Albert Maysles took it on a short tour about 5 years ago, and gave a 15 minute personal introduction before the viewing.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »

I've seen "AHDN" and "Help!" on a large movie screen, but this wasn't at a theater, it was at Beatlefest (an American Beatles convention).  I've also seen a screening of "AHDN" in a library auditorium.

A few years back, a local movie theater was playing "AHDN" and I wanted to go...and then I forgot because I didn't write the date down.   :-/ :B

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »

No  :(

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:19:26 PM »

I saw Yellow Sub when it firsst came out ('69?) and I saw Magical Mystery Tour on the telly when it was first broadcast in '67. It wasn't made for the big screen. But the two proper movies, Hard Day's Night and Help, I've only seen on TV or on my computer. Apart from YS, the nearest I can get is what I can only call John Lennon's "arse" movie, because I've forgotten its real name. It was made by him and Yoko, and consisted of half an hour or so of.... arses. Interesting, but obviously lacking in drama.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »

I remember seeing Yellow Sub at the cinema too. I think it was when it came out, but it could have been a year or two later. In those days films used to come around a second and third time.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »

Oh i wish! sadly, the only one i was alive during was 'Across the Universe' (which i still went to see) but idk if that really counts.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »

Saw Help! when it came out. Remember dashing home to draw Beatle pictures and I made a bass drum out of a biscuit tin and wrote The Bugs on it.
Saw Yellow Sub when it came out, but being 10 didn't really get it.
Saw Let It Be about 77, double featured with something.
Saw MMT about 78 (no videos in those days) double featured with The Monkees Head and Yellow Sub about the same time.
Went to see AHDN re-release about 4 (?) years ago, dragged my friends along, got very stoned and fell asleep about ten minutes in. Oh well/
I saw The Last Waltz seven times when it came out.
don't follow leaders

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »

Quote from: 185
Saw Help! when it came out. Remember dashing home to draw Beatle pictures and I made a bass drum out of a biscuit tin and wrote The Bugs on it.
Saw Yellow Sub when it came out, but being 10 didn't really get it.
Saw Let It Be about 77, double featured with something.
Saw MMT about 78 (no videos in those days) double featured with The Monkees Head and Yellow Sub about the same time.
Went to see AHDN re-release about 4 (?) years ago, dragged my friends along, got very stoned and fell asleep about ten minutes in. Oh well/
I saw The Last Waltz seven times when it came out.

My brother in law burned me a copy of The Last Waltz..great stuff.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »

Quote from: 682

My brother in law burned me a copy of The Last Waltz..great stuff.

It was, I confess, mainly to see Neil Young. But The Band do come across exceptionally well. Shame about the future. In those days we had intermission, and when Neil Diamond came on us veterans knew it was time to dash to the toilet and grab an icecream before the hordes left their seats. Van Morrison always reminds me of some drunk in a park muttering to himself. Dylan was a dissapointment as well.
don't follow leaders

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »

Nope  :'(
<br />

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »

No, only at Abbey Rd.  ;D
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

ChokingSmoker

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:23 AM »

The only one I've seen on the big screen is "A Hard Day's Night", when it was released in a shiny new print back in 2001.
You have a lucky face

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 02:37:22 PM »

I took my sister to see A Hard Day's Night twice in 1964.  I took her again the following year to see Help! twice....same movie theater.  I saw Yellow Submarine when it was released at a New York City theater and Let It Be in 1970 at the Meadows Theater, where I saw AHDN and Help! (Sandra probably remembers this movie theater).  There's nothing like seeing and hearing a Beatles film on the big screen and in stereo!
I can stay till it's time to go

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 02:46:53 AM »

I wish they'd put the Beatles' movies back in theaters. That would be freaking awesome. I wish they'd re-release Yellow Submarine. I have a feeling it would do well. Or they should do a computer animated Beatles' movie. How cool would that look??? Only if they could use the music though. Enough with these horrible Lennon biographies already. Aim a movie at the kids. Recruit a new generation of Beatle fans.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »

Sadly no. But I did hear that they screened AHDN once in NZ. Must have been around the time it came out which, if I am not mistaken, is the same year the Beatles came to NZ.

Oh! I watched the Money-Cant-Buy-Me-Love-AHDN-scene being watched on a big screen! (in the Paul live at the Red Square dvd)  ;)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 11:01:36 AM »

Quote from: 596
Sadly no. But I did hear that they screened AHDN once in NZ. Must have been around the time it came out which, if I am not mistaken, is the same year the Beatles came to NZ.

Yes, we all gathered in the town hall, doused the flaming torches to watch the magic moving pictures. Umm, we had cinemas and it was on general release so it was on a few times I think.
don't follow leaders

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 88 queries.