Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Favorite Woodstock Version  (Read 2723 times)

KelMar

KelMar

Re: Favorite Woodstock Version
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:01:25 AM »

I grew up listening to CSN&Y's version and always preferred it but lately I find myself enjoying Joni's version more. It's so lovely and ethereal sounding. I'm glad we have both though. Joni's captures the spiritual side of Woodstock and CSN&Y's conveys the enormous energy of the event.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:53:59 AM »

I like both equally and for the same reasons you mentioned, Kelley.

Joni Mitchell did not perform at Woodstock as her manager felt it would be better for her to appear on The Dick Cavett Show.  She wrote the song in New York City just after the festival and performed it for the first time at the Big Sur Folk Festival one month later...

Joni Mitchell - Woodstock (Big Sur, CA 1969)
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »

Joni Mitchell did not perform at Woodstock as her manager felt it would be better for her to appear on The Dick Cavett Show.  She wrote the song in New York City just after the festival and performed it for the first time at the Big Sur Folk Festival one month later...

I always liked Joni Mitchell, thanks to my cousin but when I was older and learned that she was able to write such an amazing song as "Woodstock" without even attending my admiration for her soared.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »

I dislike the Joni Mitchell and the CSN&Y versions, but the Matthews Southern Comfort version of 'Woodstock' is one of my all-time favorite songs!
Matthews Southern Comfort - Woodstock

Iain Matthews lives in The Netherlands nowadays. He performed a short live set at my local record store for last year's Record Store Day. About seven or eight people showed up to see him...

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »

All of these are nice. Can't choose just one. CSN&Y's rocks and the others are mellow. Nuttin' wrong with that.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »

I dislike the Joni Mitchell and the CSN&Y versions, but the Matthews Southern Comfort version of 'Woodstock' is one of my all-time favorite songs!

I know I've heard this before but I must have forgotten about it. I really like it though. I like the video montage too. The very first face you see is Sandi, the girl from my hometown who was there!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »

I know I've heard this before but I must have forgotten about it. I really like it though. I like the video montage too. The very first face you see is Sandi, the girl from my hometown who was there!

Worldwide the Matthews Southern Comfort version was actually the most successful one: #1 in the UK, #5 in Canada, #23 in the US. The CSN&Y version was a US #11 but for as far as I know it didn't chart anywhere else.

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 03:04:57 AM »

I kept thinking there was something familiar about Iain Matthews' voice then I realized he did "I Don't Wanna Talk About It". It was new to me when my Pandora station started playing it. I like it better than Rod Stewart's version.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:12:12 AM »

Yeah, well Crosby, Stills and Nash can still rock that song...

Crosby, Stills and Nash - Woodstock - Madison Square Garden, NYC - 2009/10/29 & 30

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:27:48 AM »

And Joni can still sing it.  With soul...

Woodstock

KelMar

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 05:05:32 AM »

Yeah, well Crosby, Stills and Nash can still rock that song...
And Joni can still sing it.  With soul...

Indeed! I can't get over how much Joni reminds me of my college advisor now that she's older. That's a good thing! She was a real hoot. She had one of these in her living room:

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10:58 AM »

Matthews Southern Comfort - Woodstock

Iain Matthews lives in The Netherlands nowadays. He performed a short live set at my local record store for last year's Record Store Day. About seven or eight people showed up to see him...

AGREE ;yes

Page created in 0.723 seconds with 68 queries.