Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: John Lennon: The Life, by Philip Norman  (Read 12651 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
John Lennon: The Life, by Philip Norman
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »

There are lots of news stories circulating about Philip Norman's new biography of John Lennon, but Steve Marinucci over at Abbeyrd found the only one worth reproducing:

The Curious Life Of John Lennon

His sexual fantasies included Paul McCartney and his own mother. And he was haunted by a mystifying inability to forget any pain ever caused him. John Lennon: The Life by Philip Norman adds a complex, epic dimension to "a major, towering presence of the 20th century". Paul Du Noyer investigates.

It's bloody enormous, for a start.

I had intended to take my review copy away on holiday, until it arrived by courier in two huge A4 binders. I would literally have needed an extra suitcase. The author tells me it runs to about 300,000 words and that was after he'd cut 60,000. Can there still be so much to say about John Lennon? Or indeed about anyone?

I would pitch Philip Norman's blockbuster somewhere in between its two best-known predecessors, namely Albert Goldman's The Lives Of John Lennon (a book he calls "malevolent, risibly ignorant") and Ray Coleman's Lennon: The Definitive Biography ("an honourable attempt"). But I would place it above both of them - more accurate, more perceptive and far better written. The great surprise for people like me, who have spent too many years reading about The Beatles, is the revelatory material that John Lennon: The Life actually contains. So, yes, there really is more to say.

The first eye-opener is John's incestuous desire for his mother Julia - a flighty and spirited woman who left him, as a child, in the care of her sister Mimi. (She was killed in a car accident when John was a teenager.) He spoke to Yoko of this fixation repeatedly; he confided it to others and speaks of it in a 1979 audio-diary. At 14 he lay next to his mother during her afternoon rest and wondered how far she would let him go.

Then it's suggested that he had a crush on Paul. "On the principle that bohemians should try everything," writes Norman, John had contemplated an affair, "but had been deterred by Paul's immovable heterosexuality." Yoko, again, is party to this speculation. She recalls hearing people in the Apple office who called McCartney "John's Princess". One is never sure whether John really had those leanings - or just an intellectual curiosity and appetite for mischief. The same ambiguity surrounds his early Spanish holiday with The Beatles' gay manager Brian Epstein. (Although, when a Liverpool DJ unwisely made a jibe, Lennon battered him savagely.)

Norman writes with a shrewd eye for the wider context. He's especially good on the post-war, middle-class world of Lennon's childhood. We follow John from semi-detached tranquillity to art-school and Hamburg, to the London Palladium and the world. We are necessarily in familiar territory for a lot of the time, thanks not least to the author's own Beatle book, his estimable 1981 biography Shout!. Yet there is always an arresting new fact around the corner. Connoisseurs of trivia will enjoy learning that "eight days a week" was not a Ringo-ism, but a quip by Paul's taxi-driver on the way to a songwriting session with John. Nor had I known of John's fling with the pop singer Alma Cogan - a woman whom poor Brian Epstein, ironically, had once considered marrying.

More startling, though, is the business of Norwegian Wood. This song was always read as a coded admission of adultery - but with whom? The journalist Maureen Cleave is often suggested - she was pretty and clever and Lennon adored her - but Norman's evidence points elsewhere. When John moved to London with his wife Cynthia and their child Julian, they took a flat in South Kensington. It had been found for them by The Beatles' photographer Robert Freeman, who lived downstairs with his beautiful wife, Sonny. Now, she was German but preferred to say she was Norwegian. The Freemans' pad was fashionably wood-panelled. When Robert was out and Cynthia upstairs, John slipped down to see Sonny Freeman and they did, indeed, have an affair.

The book's numerous sources include both Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney, The Beatles' producer George Martin and their right-hand man Neil Aspinall. There are long-lost girlfriends from Liverpool and the "primal scream" therapist Arthur Janov. I even provided a few scraps myself.

Documentary evidence comes from the private papers of Aunt Mimi and John's autobiographical notes and tapes. A Lennon biographer always has the benefit of his songs, which are among the most candid ever written. And there are the ever-engaging public utterances: he was, says Norman, "perhaps the only celebrity in history who never did a dull or dishonest interview".

What must it be like to write a Lennon book with Yoko looking over one shoulder and Paul over the other? The author had Yoko's blessing for the project - although she's apparently unhappy with the finished result - and Paul agreed to be interviewed also. The tone is scrupulously fair to both of them. Yoko appears to have been pulled reluctantly into Lennon's orbit. She did not push her way forward to bag a Beatle. And McCartney has shown a forgiving side. I doubt whether he has forgotten Philip Norman's Sunday Times attack from years ago, a parody poem that ended:

O deified Scouse, with unmusical spouse
    For the cliches and cloy you unload,
    To an anodyne tune may they bury you soon
    In the middlemost midst of the road.

Of all the stories contained within this teeming tale, few are as strange as that of Alfred Lennon, John's wayward father. A rascally Scouse seaman, it's true that he abandoned John in childhood, but not without a struggle to keep him. Later, as a penniless drifter, he sought the company of his Beatle son but never expected much. At 54 he eloped to Gretna Green with a teenage bride and they had two sons - Lennon's little-known half-brothers. Unaware the superstar now wore a beard, he once took along that quintessentially 1970 gift, a bottle of aftershave. The visit enraged Lennon, who responded with brutal fury and threatened to have him killed - poor Alf was so shaken he filed a statement with a solicitor, in the event of his unnatural death.

It's another instance of John's propensity to extreme nastiness. His behaviour towards his first wife, Cynthia, has some repellent aspects too. Such stories, and they're well documented, make you question the posthumous sanctification of Lennon. The Man of Peace was, in a way, the classic idealist - he loved the human race in abstract but could be a complete bastard with individuals, including his own family. He admits as much in one of his last-ever songs, I Don't Wanna Face It: "You wanna save humanity/But it's people that you just can't stand".

But there, in the humour and self-awareness, we catch a more endearing man as well. Quick, funny and frequently kind, Lennon never stopped learning, questioning and revising his ideas. Where he was headed, we can only guess. There was never much need to "expose" or "debunk" John Lennon - in his songs, from Cold Turkey to Jealous Guy, he always got there before you. Lennon: The Life may be a warts-and-all sort of book, but it's also respectful and affectionate. In the end, it's the portrait of a complex man, and it's as big as it needs to be. This is the best Lennon book so far.

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/the-curious-life-of-john-lennon

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/fabnews.htm
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: John Lennon: The Life, by Philip Norman
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:11:05 AM »

Someone just posted this on another site. It's from the Sun. It's pretty bizarre, but people are actually believing it! Please, please, please, give me your thoughts! There's audio to it too. And it does sound like him.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1679838.ece

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:18:47 AM »

Here's the article in case you don't want to click on the link.

[size=14]Lennon's amazing tape of lust for mum[/size]

By SIMON ROTHSTEIN

Published: 12 Sep 2008
rigTeaserImage
JOHN LENNON fantasised about having sex with his mother Julia, according to a leaked audio diary which it is claimed he recorded a year before his death.

His widow YOKO ONO and BEATLES bandmate PAUL McCARTNEY are furious about forthcoming book John Lennon: The Life by Philip Norman, which makes the lurid accusation.

However on the tape - which you can listen to by clicking here- a voice alleged to be John

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 03:21:26 AM »

Remind me please who Philip Norman is again?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 04:13:30 AM »

Well, I was just wondering about the audio and what people thought of this in general.  :-/

Gloi

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »

That tape has been out on bootleg for years from the lost Lennon tapes.
<a href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TawfSfiVmjw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TawfSfiVmjw</a>

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »

Quote from: 216
Well, I was just wondering about the audio and what people thought of this in general.  :-/

I think I need to read the whole book: Norman's Shout! is one of the few Beatles volumes worth owning, so I'm "cautiously optimistic", as the old cliche goes, that the thing will be worth having.

But the tabloid press are operating at their usual level; this is a screen shot of the Google page for references to Norman's book:

Guess which bits interested them, eh?  :-/

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »

First, I'm sorry I didn't realize there was another thread about this, so thanks for the merge. Second, I was just asking opinions on the whole matter of WHAT he said. Which he did say. I find it curious. Anyway, no one seems to be offering opinions of it, just of the book or the fact that it's being sensationalized. Which I understand. If a discussion has already been had and I missed it, again I apologize. Was just hoping for some sort of discussion. As usual.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 04:54:47 PM »

First, I'm sorry I didn't realize there was another thread about this, so thanks for the merge. Second, I was just asking opinions on the whole matter of WHAT he said. Which he did say. I find it curious. Anyway, no one seems to be offering opinions of it, just of the book or the fact that it's being sensationalized. Which I understand. If a discussion has already been had and I missed it, again I apologize. Was just hoping for some sort of discussion. As usual.

First, IMO, it needs to be established what he DID say, vs. what other people say he said. Secondly, even if Lennon DID say he said these things, we all know that doesn't necessarily establish them as facts - we all know he would say the most outrageous and untrue things at times, for who knows what reason. He may even have believed them at the time he said them.

Moving on ... it is not unusual for adolescent boys to have wildly inappropriate fantasies as they begin to sexually develop. Most do not cop a feel of their mother, as one of these threads said Lennon said he did. But you put a vulnerable boy in that position with a vulnerable mother who has severe emotional and perhaps psychiatric problems of her own ... I'm guessing this kind of thing has happened uncountable times over the ages. BTW - did the book say what happened after this was supposed to have happened?

And this holiday with Brian ... is there anything more than he said/she said innuendo and hearsay to establish he and Brian had an affair? And what does the book give as proof that John wanted to bonk Paul?

Finally - even if all these things are true (and there is a lot of evidence lacking before one can say this even semi-confidently) - in the end what does it matter? We all know John had serious emotional issues. The essence of John to me is his music, his wit, his drive, and his intelligence. What he did with these, despite his demons, is the important thing - not the demons themselves.

Just my two cents!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »

Well, obviously, nothing about their personal lives should matter to the fans, but this is a discussion board and we discuss. I wasn't asking about all the other stuff in the book. Rather, I was asking about what he SAID on audio. Which I thought was interesting. I was wondering what people thought it said about him. If it gave us anymore insight into his mind set at that time of his life. He sounds a bit depressed to me actually.

Anyway, Yes, the experience is probably not all that shocking, but what he said about it was a bit odd. That he wished he did something more or whatever. I had just never heard it before and having listened to it, wanted a bit of discussion. I'm not making it more than it is and I know John was a contradictory person and used to say things that weren't even true in the end. But I did want other fans opinions on the topic as it is relevant to a Beatles board.
Moving on ... it is not unusual for adolescent boys to have wildly inappropriate fantasies as they begin to sexually develop. Most do not cop a feel of their mother, as one of these threads said Lennon said he did. But you put a vulnerable boy in that position with a vulnerable mother who has severe emotional and perhaps psychiatric problems of her own ... I'm guessing this kind of thing has happened uncountable times over the ages.

This is pretty much what I feel. That it's something boys go through, but it's usually not taken so far. But again, him wishing he had done more in his later years and regretting it is somewhat disturbing and probably not the norm. Again, this is on the audio of Lennon speaking. I'm not going by the book. I was never talking about the book. Just the audio. But since this was merged with the book thread, it might appear that way.

:)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »

I don't think it's John on the tape , it sounds like a much older man to me ?
And as for him fancying Paul why not , them Beatles sandwiches they used to indulge in are bound to get a closet bisexual like John  going .
When's this book out ?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »

... But again, him wishing he had done more in his later years and regretting it is somewhat disturbing and probably not the norm ...
 :)

Aye, but John wasn't the norm, that was smith :)

To be honest, I have always wondered if at some point later in life John wasn't reduced to a basket case by intrinsic and extrinsic factors (genes for the former - Mum and Dad didn't seem to have an excess of "stability genes" to pass along; substance abuse and Yoko for the latter - though I'm never sure if Yoko contributed to all this, or whether the effect of her doing what she did actually kept John from spiraling down out of existence).

You never know with John if when he said something it was actually true, or if he just said it for effect, or he even believed it at the moment. It was like he was Woody Allen and the microphone/movie camera was his therapist's couch. I suppose, even if all this were true, I wouldn't be shocked.

BTW, what year was the interview where he supposedly expressed regret about not consumating his Oedipal desires given?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »

The audio

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

The audio
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »

Anyway, no one seems to be offering opinions of it, just of the book or the fact that it's being sensationalized.

I want to know more before I pass judgment or even comment much: tabloid chatter and a minute's worth of audio simply aren't enough. Give me the book.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »

There's about 10 minutes more audio on that youtube clip. Which is all I'm going by. I couldn't care less about the gossip part of it. But I get it. I don't think I'm passing judgment so much as just discussing what I think of it. Which is all we can do no matter how much information we get. In the end we weren't there and will never know the real truth. Most of the discussion that goes on here is based on little bits of information we've received here and there over the years. I don't think any of us know or will ever know the full picture. Still it's interesting chatting about it.

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »

First, I'm sorry I didn't realize there was another thread about this, so thanks for the merge.

I doubted about that and in a way still do. But it is about the same matter, isn't it?

It sounds like John on the tape, but we will never be certain I guess.
The relationship between Julia and John could have been quite complex. She was his mother but she didn't raise him. I bet John never had any sexual feelings towards Mimi. Julia might have been more some kind of older sister with a wild life and funny ideas that John was attracted to. Looking at it that way, it's not a step too far to imagine that he wished he had gone further.

The Dude

• A Beginning
  • Abides
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »

I remember reading Goldman's book when it first came out and feeling pretty disgusted when I finished it (yes, I did finish it I'm ashamed to say.) I've read about this today on the BBC News website and frankly it doesn't surprise me. John ain't around to defend himself so it's easy to make sensationalist allegations about a dead man, as Goldman's already showed us. His Elvis biography was equally absurd.

Whether these claims are true or not, I don't know and don't care. It doesn't make John any less of a man or artist in my opinion and I think most of his fans feel the same.
'Did you ever hear of the Seattle Seven? That was me.... and... six other guys.'

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 12:31:44 AM »

Quote from: 63

I doubted about that and in a way still do. But it is about the same matter, isn't it?

It sounds like John on the tape, but we will never be certain I guess.
The relationship between Julia and John could have been quite complex. She was his mother but she didn't raise him. I bet John never had any sexual feelings towards Mimi. Julia might have been more some kind of older sister with a wild life and funny ideas that John was attracted to. Looking at it that way, it's not a step too far to imagine that he wished he had gone further.

That makes sense I suppose. And he probably confused his feelings about her too. I mean, he always longed for her to be in his life. I also think he was very attracted to the whole bohemian lifestyle she led. Or he could have just been saying it to be controversial. Because, I feel like that's who he was. Who could tell what was real and what was just his ramblings.

Anyway, if it isn't him on the tape then whoever it is does one hell of an imitation!   ??)

BTW, I don't mind that the threads were merged. Hope it didn't come off that way. I was just trying to make clear that I wasn't going by the gossip in the book. Just what is on the diary tape.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.915 seconds with 81 queries.