Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quarry Men or Quarrymen?  (Read 5864 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Quarry Men or Quarrymen?
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »

I`ve got a question here for you all! In all the books you`ve read what is the spelling of the name of the band: Quarry Men or Quarrymen? Could you, please, help me? )))  :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Quarry Men or Quarrymen?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »

I've always seen it spelt as Quarrymen, Jane.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »

Yeah, me too.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

Mairi, thank you very much! It is that some fans are still not sure about the correct spelling. Can you tell me as a native speaker if there are any such words spelt in two, cause I don`t think I`ve come across any two-word spelling, but only: milkmen, firemen, policemen, spokesmen, fishermen, workmen, countrymen, etc. Do you ever write them or words of the kind divided into two? )))  :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »

Yeah, me too.

Thank you so much for the answer, Bobber!
The fact is that the words of the famous Quarry Bank school song have it like that: Quarry men, old before our birth..." The name of the skiffle-band on business cards of 1957 was written in two words and the name of the band as printed in the local press was also in two words. Maybe the correct spelling should be in two? Maybe somebody made a mistake long ago and since then everybody has repeated it? )))  ???

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »

Jane, this is from The Quarrymen’s Official Website:  http://www.originalquarrymen.co.uk/index.html

Is the group name the QUARRYMEN (one word)?  Or is it the QUARRY MEN (two words)?

Our name was inspired by a reference in the lyric in the official song of the school (Quarry Bank Grammar School) that five of the original band members attended.

The lyric includes this couplet that contains “Quarrymen” clearly spelled as one word:

“Quarrymen old before our birth

Straining each muscle and sinew…”

According to band founder-member Pete Shotton, his pal John Lennon’s droll reaction to the school song was that he wasn’t going to strain a muscle or even a sinew if he could possibly help it!  So naming the group after a word in the school song was a tongue-in-cheek reference to what some of the members felt was pompous doggerel.

The band members therefore regarded their band name as being one word – but it certainly wasn’t a crucial matter in 1956!

The occasional spelling of the name with “Quarrymen” split into two words as “Quarry Men” that people see in Beatles history books probably arose because of a number of factors.

Adults who typed up the flyer and event programme for our appearance at the St. Peter’s Village Church Garden Fete in Woolton on Saturday 6th July 1957 – and the journalist who reported the event for the local newspaper – were all more familiar with the name of the school (“Quarry Bank” – two words) than an unusual word in an obscure school song (“Quarrymen” – one word) so it was understandable that they might assume that the word “Quarrymen” had been mistakenly written as one word. 

Our drummer Colin Hanton wanted to write the band name across the front of his bass drum.  But there was insufficient space to write it as one word across the circumference of the drum – so he staggered the name in two words at diagonal angles.  And vintage photographs of that drumhead have been erroneously cited by some as evidence for the name being split in two words.

Tea-chest bass player Len Garry also wanted to display the band name on his instrument – and like Colin Hanton he found that he had insufficient space on which to write the name as one word. So the band name on the tea-chest bass was also broken in two - which compounded the assumption some drew from the name on the bass drum.

A friend of John’s called Nigel Walley – who played tea-chest bass a couple of times and then became the group’s manager – had some business cards printed up to try and help secure some “engagements” for the group. On the card, the printer compounded the same error made by the adults who prepared the flyers for the July 1957 event and spelled the name in two words. However, Nigel was not a pupil at Quarry Bank school (he went to the Bluecoat School in Liverpool) and was thus not familiar with the Quarry Bank school song and how it had inspired the single-word “Quarrymen” band name.

For what it’s worth, all of us Quarrymen prefer our name spelled as intended – in one word.

Welcome to the Quarrymen’s Official Website

I can stay till it's time to go

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »

^^^ I think there is THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER!!! nuff said.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »

Our drummer Colin Hanton wanted to write the band name across the front of his bass drum.  But there was insufficient space to write it as one word across the circumference of the drum – so he staggered the name in two words at diagonal angles.  And vintage photographs of that drumhead have been erroneously cited by some as evidence for the name being split in two words.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »

Mairi, thank you very much! It is that some fans are still not sure about the correct spelling. Can you tell me as a native speaker if there are any such words spelt in two, cause I don`t think I`ve come across any two-word spelling, but only: milkmen, firemen, policemen, spokesmen, fishermen, workmen, countrymen, etc. Do you ever write them or words of the kind divided into two? )))  :)

Don't forget all the spidermen, supermen, and batmen out there.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »

Jane, this is from The Quarrymen’s Official Website:  http://www.originalquarrymen.co.uk/index.html

Is the group name the QUARRYMEN (one word)?  Or is it the QUARRY MEN (two words)?

Our name was inspired by a reference in the lyric in the official song of the school (Quarry Bank Grammar School) that five of the original band members attended.

The lyric includes this couplet that contains “Quarrymen” clearly spelled as one word:

“Quarrymen old before our birth

Straining each muscle and sinew…”

Hello, Hello Goodbye! )))
Yes, I know this explanation, I`ve read it. But there`s an opinion that Rod Davis, giving this explanation, might have mixed something up because he insists that it is ONE word and at the same time refers to the Quarry Bank school song, where the name is two words: Quarry Men. He is wrong quoting the words from the song. The name should be spelt in two. Could it be that he has mixed something up?   ???

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »

Thank you very much! I am impressed by the photos. Is the second a museum in Liverpool? )))

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:05:50 AM »

Thank you very much! I am impressed by the photos. Is the second a museum in Liverpool? )))

Yes, The Beatles Story:  http://www.beatlesstory.com/

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:50:45 AM »

Hello, Hello Goodbye! )))
Yes, I know this explanation, I`ve read it. But there`s an opinion that Rod Davis, giving this explanation, might have mixed something up because he insists that it is ONE word and at the same time refers to the Quarry Bank school song, where the name is two words: Quarry Men. He is wrong quoting the words from the song. The name should be spelt in two. Could it be that he has mixed something up?   ???

Jane, this website shows the original sheet music with lyrics to The Song Of The Quarry: 

http://www.beatlesliverpoolandmore.com/from-quarry-bank-to-quarrymen.html

The lyrics read Quar-ry men.  Without a dash between ry and men it can be argued that it is two words.  But the important thing here is that the original members say that the name of their band is Quarrymen and they have always preferred it spelled as one word.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:18:52 AM »

Don't forget all the spidermen, supermen, and batmen out there.

Holy spelling bee, Batman!

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:08:01 AM »

Nice research there Mr Barry.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

I split this topic from the recommended books btw.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »

Jane, this website shows the original sheet music with lyrics to The Song Of The Quarry: 

The lyrics read Quar-ry men.  Without a dash between ry and men it can be argued that it is two words.  But the important thing here is that the original members say that the name of their band is Quarrymen and they have always preferred it spelled as one word.

Yes, Hello Goodbye! Thank you for your help! So the thing is that the spelling of the word in the song doesn`t matter, and Rod Davis is mistaken referring to it as an explanation why they wrote the name in one word. The members just wanted it to be one word and that`s it.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »

Yes, Hello Goodbye! Thank you for your help! So the thing is that the spelling of the word in the song doesn`t matter, and Rod Davis is mistaken referring to it as an explanation why they wrote the name in one word. The members just wanted it to be one word and that`s it.  :)

Right, Jane.  That's it.   ;)

Anyway, welcome back and here's a picture of Jane Asher that I'm wild over...

It's from her Alfie photo shoot:

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »

Right, Jane.  That's it.   ;)

Anyway, welcome back and here's a picture of Jane Asher that I'm wild over...

Thank you, Hello Goodbye! I am back and the pics are fantastic, I myself can`t resist them!   ;)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »

???
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.086 seconds with 80 queries.