Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Albums from your favourite artists that you don't dig  (Read 5546 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Albums from your favourite artists that you don't dig
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Which albums can't you dig despite the fact they're from your favourite artists?

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo (1968). It's said to be the first Country Rock album, and beyond the fact that I'm not a big fan of the genre, I find this record pretty boring. It doesn't sound like a Byrds album at all, and in fact only McGuinn and Hillman remained at this point from the original line up. I think that other early Country Rock records like The Gilded Palace Of Sin by the Flying Burrito Brothers or Pickin' Up The Pieces by Poco are much better.

The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (1974). Sure, this may not be the worst album by the Stones, but I would have expected much more considering that it wasn't released much later than their best period. Just a bunch of generic rockers, and the lyrics suck even for the Stones. This record is only Rock 'N' Roll, but I don't like it.

The Who - It's Hard (1982). Keith Moon was already dead, and the band released Face Dances, a decent album, without him (Kenney Jones was his replacement). However, this next album was easily the worst record by the Who ever, where the band seemed to be out of ideas.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:09:45 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Albums from your favourite artists that you don't dig
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »

All Aerosmith albums from their commercial era except for "Pump" (1989) and their last album, the 2004 "Honkin On Bobo".

Permanent Vacation (1987)
Get A Grip (1993)
Nine Lives (1997)
Just Push Play (2001) - this one is my least favourite.

I also think Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" is pretty bad, I admit it, I had only listened to it three or four times, but I didn't like it very much. It's not extremly bad though.

I'll think of more later.

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »

I also think Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" is pretty bad, I admit it, I had only listened to it three or four times, but I didn't like it very much. It's not extremly bad though.

I've not even listened to it 3 times. I do like Learning to fly though. I got the c.d out of the library to install on my itunes and eventually just didn't bother keeeping any of it apart from LTF which I just listen to as part of my RandomPF playlist.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »

I've not even listened to it 3 times. I do like Learning to fly though. I got the c.d out of the library to install on my itunes and eventually just didn't bother keeeping any of it apart from LTF which I just listen to as part of my RandomPF playlist.

I used to call it A Momentary Lapse Of Talent  ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »

'One Sip' is the only decent song on Momentary Lapse.

The Pretty Things' 'Savage Eye' isnt very good. I like some songs on it, but its a weak effort on the whole. They had just gotten signed by Led Zeppelins Swan Songs and it couldnt have been at a worse time. Phil May was strung out and absent for a lot of the studio sessions and live performances. Peter Grant (Zeps manager) tried to promote the Pretty Things as a band that they werent and even had songs written for them and it never panned out (which was par for the course with this band). Even the inside liner had Phil May stating that this album sucked and was not indicative of the band.

'Power' from Kansas is a weak effort also. Although it marked the return of lead vocalist Steve Walsh, it also was the album that Kerry Livgren left the band to pursue his christian efforts. Steve Morse joined the band in Livegrens place and although he was a major talent in the guitar playing aspect, he didnt lend anything in the way of creative song writing. This led to the band submitting weak tunes like 'All I Wanted' and 'Cant Cry Anymore'. They basically were trying to remake themselves into an 80's artist ala Heart and Def Leppard instead of staying close to the prog roots that got them where they were in the first place.

A lot of people site Eltons 'A Single Man' as the point where he started to fall since Bernie Taupin left at that point, but I believe it started to happen an album earlier with 'Blue Moves'. I just feel that Elton was burnt out and didnt have a lot left to offer at this stage in his career. In his defense he had been putting out quality albums for years in concession and if anybody deserved a break or was entitled to a drop off, it was John. With 'Blue Moves', the atmosphere of the album is darker and depressed. A lack of energy feeling that just doesnt forgive. Sure it had a hit song with 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word', but the rest of the album was uninteresting and bland.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »

The Who - It's Hard (1982). Keith Moon was already dead, and the band released Face Dances, a decent album, without him (Kenney Jones was his replacement). However, this next album was easily the worst record by the Who ever, where the band seemed to be out of ideas.

I've never even heard of that before that I can remember. I've not been a hardcore Who fan for 20 yrs. though.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »

I've never even heard of that before that I can remember. I've not been a hardcore Who fan for 20 yrs. though.

I know you've heard 'Athena' and 'Eminence Front' and thats the album they came from. I agree with Hombre that it was a stinker for the Who, but I dont mind it really. Says a lot for that band doesnt it.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »

I know you've heard 'Athena' and 'Eminence Front' and thats the album they came from. I agree with Hombre that it was a stinker for the Who, but I dont mind it really. Says a lot for that band doesnt it.

How do you know that?  ??? But now you mention it I do remember Eminence front from a  live album. Awful title for a song. Athena rings a bell too.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »

How do you know that? 

Sorry, I figured you were old enough to have turned on a radio in the last decade or so and they happen to be two of the Who's most popular songs ever. I wont assume anymore.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:04:28 PM »

Sorry, I figured you were old enough to have turned on a radio in the last decade or so and they happen to be two of the Who's most popular songs ever. I wont assume anymore.

Never heard them on the radio and i've listened to a fair bit of radio over here although mainly BBC 2 & 6music. I find it hard to belive they're two of the Who's most popular songs ever. Unless yu're being sarcastic.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »

Never heard them on the radio and i've listened to a fair bit of radio over here although mainly BBC 2 & 6music. I find it hard to belive they're two of the Who's most popular songs ever. Unless yu're being sarcastic.

Nah, wasnt being sarcastic at all. Maybe they were more popular here in America. They still get plenty of airplay on any classic rock station (especially Eminence Front).

The Who - Athena

The Who - Eminence front

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »

Athena #28 in the US and #40 in the UK
Eminence Front reached #68 on Billboard 100 (whatever that means)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »

I wouldn't say those two songs are among the most popular by the Who, even though they were relatively strong hits. I mean, those songs didn't age very well. They weren't even included in The Very Best Of The Who, which I consider as the most well summarized compilation of the band. But maybe my argument is not very strong since that compilation also didn't include "Behind Blue Eyes" or "Love, Reign O'er Me".

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:51:32 PM »

quite simply every album by America since Dan Peek left.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »

I wouldn't say those two songs are among the most popular by the Who, even though they were relatively strong hits. I mean, those songs didn't age very well. They weren't even included in The Very Best Of The Who, which I consider as the most well summarized compilation of the band. But maybe my argument is not very strong since that compilation also didn't include "Behind Blue Eyes" or "Love, Reign O'er Me".

You might be right Hombre. I just know they play the sh*t out of both of those songs in my area still to this day. I did want to touch upon 'The Very Best Of The Who' though. I think thats a compilation that strays all over the place. There's a lot of hits that werent touched upon while you have lesser know songs like 'Let's See Action', 'Boris The Spider' (really?), and 'I'm A Boy'. Boris is well know, but it sucks and only gets a pass due to Entwistle. 'My Wife' would have been a better choice. The Who are like the Beatles and the Stones, in which their catalog is so vast that a greatest hits really cant grab everything. Thats why they have multiples  ha2ha. I still think the two songs mentioned before are more popular than a handful on the Very Best, but what do I know?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »

You might be right Hombre. I just know they play the sh*t out of both of those songs in my area still to this day. I did want to touch upon 'The Very Best Of The Who' though. I think thats a compilation that strays all over the place. There's a lot of hits that werent touched upon while you have lesser know songs like 'Let's See Action', 'Boris The Spider' (really?), and 'I'm A Boy'. Boris is well know, but it sucks and only gets a pass due to Entwistle. 'My Wife' would have been a better choice. The Who are like the Beatles and the Stones, in which their catalog is so vast that a greatest hits really cant grab everything. Thats why they have multiples  ha2ha. I still think the two songs mentioned before are more popular than a handful on the Very Best, but what do I know?

I agree that the Who are up there with the Beatles and the Stones so that it's imposible to summarize their career in one CD. But I think that The Very Best Of The Who is the best compilation because half of the songs were not included in the original albums, it's like their Past Masters. It was the first Who album I got, and having all the other records I still need it. I guess that "Boris The Spider" was selected because at least one song per album must be included. The only studio album that is not represented is It's Hard, and thanks God it isn't! But you may be right about the popularity of those two songs, I just think they don't hold up next to the rest of the catalog of the band, but that doesn't mean they're not popular.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »

Love the band, loathe the album:

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »

Love the band, loathe the album:

I have to admit that i'm not as deep into Jethro Tull as I probably should be. I like just about everything I hear from them, but i've only got 'Stand Up', 'Aqualung', 'Thick As A Brick', and a few Greatest Hits albums. Whats wrong with 'APP' Mr. M? Concept or boring music?

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »

Division Bell - Pink Floyd It's not like I hate it, but my $15 could have been spent on something a lot better.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »

well this is maybe where I make a little admission. how about PPM,WTB,AHDN,FS,H & some of RS. Yeah. I don't really like the early Beatles. I think there's some good songs...great songs and the singing is fantastic esp. from John but let's face it it's music for adolecsents really isn't it? I don''t have any of it on m my itunes and I might get around to adding some by getting the c.d's outta the library but i'm not really bothered.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.79 seconds with 85 queries.