Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When did John start disliking Paul  (Read 3366 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: When did John start disliking Paul
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 08:13:08 PM »

Quote from: 185

Does he really say that? Can I have a quote please. I'm not sure they were ever best friends (John didn't seem to bond with Paul in the way he did he with Stuart or Yoko (or Brian?). Seems it was more like his relationship with Cynthia.
I havea quote from Paul where he says they were like Army buddies (ie forced together by and bonded by common circumstance.
I think a better question might be 'how did they put up with each other for so long after touring?'
Lets face it, their is a proud history of successful rock partnerships either at best putting up with each other, at worst out right hating each other; Gilmour and Waters, Jagger and Richards, Hall and Oates, Stills and Young, the dudes in Tears For Fears, Wham!, Rightious Brothers (I think), Simon and Garfunkel.....
We've all said it before - good old rivalry and competitionmakes for a more creative band than a bunch of gooey loved up buddies.

I think that's simplifying it a bit. They met through music, but they had a lot more to bond over than most kids their age. When you read interviews, mostly Johns, you can sense this sort of intense feeling towards the other. Sometimes expressed through what seemed like hatred. But I don't get this sense of they were just two colleagues who outgrew each other or something. I don't know, it's hard to explain, but when reading or watching them speak about each other, it's different from the other teams you mentioned. Except maybe Simon and Garfunkel. I mean, they're childhood friends as well. Their moms still talk and socialize. They're almost like family. Diane Sawyer recently asked them about this and they had a hard time explaining it. Garfunkel just said: "where old school chums you know."  Again, there's a bond there that goes beyond regular friendship. But when you're a grown up, you go your separate ways. Doesn't mean you don't love the person anymore. I find that's often the way it is with childhood friends.

"I`ve made two `discoveries` in my life: Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono. I think that`s a pretty damned good choice." -John Lennon

These kind of quotes always intrigue me. His comparison of the two. It means something.

Also, the army buddies thing Paul said I think was in relation to the fact that they had to go off and have families and couldn't hang out with the boys anymore like they used to. But where did Paul get that from? Remember how he used to keep showing up at the Dakota until John told him to please call before coming over? And then Paul never showed up again! Obviously hurt. Then I think it was John who made the comparison to high school or the army. Paul had to learn the hard way. Personally, I think he would have kept up with the boys had they not been so resistant. Paul's still like a big kid.

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »

It seems to me that there's as much insecurity as there is jealousy in the John and Paul relationship. I think the law suit at the point of dissolution of the Beatles (which John referred to as 'a divorce') also made things feel more tense than if they had just parted simply to pursue solo careers. Paul was on one side in the legal battles, with J, G and R on the other. I think that this must have affected their dealings with each other into the 70's.
That's what I think, anyway .... peace and love.....
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

"His comparison of the two", Sandra, I think means the most important thing in one`s life, which is to have the Best friend and to have the Great love. Jealousy exists in both relationships as well as insecurity, cubanheel is right.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 43 queries.