Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SGT Pepper as Over Ratet  (Read 6657 times)

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
SGT Pepper as Over Ratet
« on: September 06, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »

How many people have SGT pepper as there favourate Beatle album. I much prefer Revolver and The White Album. Revolver and the White Album both sound fresh today and if they were released now wouldn seem out of place with modern music. SGT pepper however seems to be a period piece. It probable sounded good in 1967 but today songs like Within Without You and When im sixty four sound really dated. The SGT pepper concept itself also seems quite silly to alot of todays youth. SGT pepper seems to be stuck in the sixties along with beards and multi colured trousers. Although A Day In The Life is probably the most progressive beatles song that will never ever date. But to me SGT Pepper is a album that defines the sixties, while revolver and the white album are much cooler sounding albums that never date.
You think your chocolate but your chewing gum.

Crazy Diamond

Re: SGT Pepper as Over Ratet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 01:59:59 PM »

I like the White Album, Revolver, and Rubber Soul more.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 02:20:59 PM »

Sgt. Pepper's is my favourite album. And while is sixties-ish, it's a good trip back in time for those of us who were never around to experience the sixties.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 03:42:22 PM »

If you had been there at the time chances are you'd go with Pepper.  Revolver was just the warm up.

Now, in retrospect, Revolver looks better.  Depends on your perspective.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 10:25:18 PM »

seargant pepper has the beatles best song on their A day in the life

Paul McCartney :)

NGM

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 11:05:15 PM »

Sgt. Pepper's is my second favorite Beatles album; White Album being the first.

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 09:01:20 AM »

hum I don't hink its over ratet....

Kiss My Bad Self

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 02:37:22 PM »

maybe not over rated. more dated i think.
You think your chocolate but your chewing gum.

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 02:56:19 PM »

I think he is somehow right. Sgt Pepper's defined the summer of love, so now songs like the ones he said are a bit old-fashioned in that respect. I prefer Rubber Soul, which is my favourite album. Moreover, note that people, or young people who discover the Beatles, always do that with songs like "Yesterday", "She loves you", I've never heard someone who got hooked on the Beatles by listening to "Lovely Rita".
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 03:00:02 PM »

I choose Sgt. Pepper's as my favorite album just because I like the songs!

So, what if it's sixties-ish or BC? The songs sound good, it's enough to have it be so popular as it has been.

But of course there are also plenty of awesome songs in albums like Revolver, Rubber Soul or The White Album. I also enjoy them quite a lot, but I just happen to prefer Sgt. Pepper's.

I certainly do not believe it is over-rated.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 11:33:21 PM »

Seargant peppers is my sixth fav beatles album

Under abbey road rubber soul white album and let it be

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 12:35:11 AM »

It seems like it's the in thing to say that Sgt. Pepper is overrated. Even the Beatles have said it!! I love the album. And I agree, one of the greatest songs ever is on it. A Day in the Life. Oh, and I loved Lovely Rita as a kid!! I'd get hooked from hearing that song!

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 12:00:22 AM »

It's the only Beatles album where I like listening to every single song... The other one closest to that was MMT, but Blue Jay Way and Flying don't really appeal to me...

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 02:15:55 AM »

When I was a kid, i loved sgt peppers and i would say it got me started.  I didnt like any of the other albums just a few songs like Bungalow Bill and Maxwells Hammer, so I'd say pepper really got me into the Beatles.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Wonderwall

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 11:25:21 PM »

I like many songs on Peppers but it's not one I play alot.  It definitely has a unique touch to it recording wise but beyond that the album doesn't really catch me much.  Nonetheless no can argue the its a horrible album. It was a 'experiment' that turned out quite well for the Beatles.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 05:11:12 PM »

I often wonder, with what degree Sgt Peppers can be fully credited as being the Ultimate Album of all time (a title which is often embraced throughout the numerous 'greatest Album Polls') Although its a revolution in its own sense (when looking at elements such as design, marketing and effort), the context of the Album is not so sharp.
 I think the Sixies feel of Sgt Pepper is a little tiresome, sadly spoiled by the 'colourful commercial parody' that plagues today's compilations and films etc
 For me personally, I think other Beatles albums give a 'better' Sixties feel. Not so much better, but more realistic, gritty and exciting. Hard Days Night I feel gives a perception of real working class, with the monochromatic colour scheme as emphasis upon the basic ideals which stem from the Beatles attitude and roots (a sense which obviously does not exsist in the same format)
 If we are talking about the 'psychedelic' period of the Sixties, for me, Magical Mystery Tour really unearths the naive, experimental and often dark sense of nature from which Acid-Inspired Idealism spawned from. This can also be attributed to Yellow Submarine (film) in which the Colourful revolution is mixed by bleak and dark animation and glued together by theories which can only be described as puerile.
 Sgt Peppers is one of its kind, but I often see it as an album that was saturated by ego,
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 07:09:33 PM »

Hevn't we discussed this before?
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 07:47:54 PM »

Im guessing almost definately :)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2004, 11:41:09 PM »

Unfortunately it's like telling someone about the war but not really being there! The impact that this lp had in 1967 was staggering! Everyone was trying to dissect each song on it! Months before its release the British press had stated that the Beatles had run out of steam! They of course proved them "very wrong"! It was reffred to as "POP-ART" The cover was discussed over and over! It became the anthem of every flower child the summer of 67! If you listen to it on headphones you can here the vocals in one ear and the music in the other! Paul's basslines are almost overpowering on some songs! This lp should be intoduced as the day pop music was validadted as a reconnized form of music! I could go on forever but I won't! I will just leave you with a poll from Rolling Stone by 17 music jouranists who had to lay out the top 100 lps 1967-1987! Sgt. Pepper was voted #1 because of it's importance in the music world! Overrated not likely. Talked about forever most definately!

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 01:17:13 AM »

i dont think its over rated at all

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 87 queries.