Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dark Horse and Extra Texture...  (Read 4145 times)

Dark Horse and Extra Texture...
« on: November 29, 2005, 06:38:50 PM »

Well these are the only Harrison studio albums I don't have, I'd be most greatful if those with the albums would share their opinions on them here, you know favotrite tracks, worst tracks, etc...

Cheers me dears.

8)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Dark Horse and Extra Texture...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:20:45 PM »

Maybe you want to know more but here you'll find some people you may know discussing some of the best George's albums (not very far from here):  8)
http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=harrison,v=display,m=1132274101,s=0

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 05:30:41 PM »

I haven't heard Extra Texture, but I was familiar with Dark Horse many years ago. I remember it fairly well - lots of Ringo and Clapton on it. Fairly mellow in tone, like a lot of Harrison's stuff. Simply Shady is slow and cool;' You may think of Sexy Sadie, let her in through your front door, but it doesn't make life simple - that's for sure' Hearrison informs us. I think he's telling us that the spiritual life still carries it's problems.

A nice album, I'd love to get it, but I haven't seen it outside that box set called The Dark Horse Years.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 05:38:09 PM »

I haven't heard them in 25 years, but I remember them being OK, but nothing stood out. But then again I was loosing the faith by then and I'd just discovered Neil Young and he took over my affections (stuck with him until Reactor). I'm a whore fan of the worst kind. :)
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 05:48:35 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
[...] I'm a whore fan of the worst kind. :)
No worries, music is always waiting for you. ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 08:57:24 PM »

Hello TheMasterOfGoingFaster,

EXTRA TEXTURE is a fine album, I like it very much. But you have to be as crazy as I am, if you say the same after listening to the album, 'cause there are only three real fine tracks on it : YOU (It was George's single in 1975), THIS GUITAR (CAN'T KEEP FROM CRYING) and TIRED OF MIDNIGHT BLUE !!! Specially the last two are my favorites. The rest of the album is filled with boring songs, not really remarkable.

DARK HORSE is another typical Harrison-Album : Only a few good songs on it, the rest is ok, but not smashing Rock'n Roll stuff. If you listen to George's voice, you can hear, that he wasn't in a good mental condition (I think Patti changed to Eric in those days, there is the song BYE BYE LOVE on DARK HORSE too).
I love that album, although it's not one of Harrison's best, because it was my first Harrison album I bought, exactly when it was released, in 1974. I was 13 years old, a huge BEATLES fan, and then a new album from GEORGE, wow, it's nice to remember.
So buy them both, you'll get some fine songs of George !!!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 09:39:24 PM »

^To the three songs of EXTRA TEXTURE (READ ALL ABOUT IT), I'd like to add three more good songs:
His Name Is Legs (Ladies and Gentlemen), Ooh Baby (You Know That I Love You) and The Answer's At The End.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 10:39:01 PM »

Those 6 songs mentioned from Extra Texture are great, definatley worth the buy

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 10:58:00 PM »

Very glad you like it. You're really a big fan of George.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:43:25 AM »

'His Name Is Legs (Ladies and Gentlemen)' is my favorite tune George ever did. I like Extra Texture a lot and really dont find any of the songs bad on it. I remember the first few listens when I purchased this lp years ago and thinking to myself that the entire tone of the album was pretty somber, but most of Georges stuff is like this anyways.

'Dark Horse' is good too. It doesnt find my cd player as much as his other albums like Texture, 33 1/3, and so forth, but its a worthy buy. 'Far East Man' and 'Ding Dong, Ding Dong' are great tunes.

Buy them both I say.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 01:52:40 AM »

Quote from: tkitna
'His Name Is Legs (Ladies and Gentlemen)' is my favorite tune George ever did. I like Extra Texture a lot and really dont find any of the songs bad on it. I remember the first few listens when I purchased this lp years ago and thinking to myself that the entire tone of the album was pretty somber, but most of Georges stuff is like this anyways.

'Dark Horse' is good too. It doesnt find my cd player as much as his other albums like Texture, 33 1/3, and so forth, but its a worthy buy. 'Far East Man' and 'Ding Dong, Ding Dong' are great tunes.

Buy them both I say.

Couldn't agree more. Indeed.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 01:53:25 AM »

Quote from: Realnowhereman
Hello TheMasterOfGoingFaster,

EXTRA TEXTURE is a fine album, I like it very much. But you have to be as crazy as I am, if you say the same after listening to the album, 'cause there are only three real fine tracks on it : YOU (It was George's single in 1975), THIS GUITAR (CAN'T KEEP FROM CRYING) and TIRED OF MIDNIGHT BLUE !!! Specially the last two are my favorites. The rest of the album is filled with boring songs, not really remarkable.

DARK HORSE is another typical Harrison-Album : Only a few good songs on it, the rest is ok, but not smashing Rock'n Roll stuff. If you listen to George's voice, you can hear, that he wasn't in a good mental condition (I think Patti changed to Eric in those days, there is the song BYE BYE LOVE on DARK HORSE too).
I love that album, although it's not one of Harrison's best, because it was my first Harrison album I bought, exactly when it was released, in 1974. I was 13 years old, a huge BEATLES fan, and then a new album from GEORGE, wow, it's nice to remember.
So buy them both, you'll get some fine songs of George !!!

Welcome to the forums Realnowhereman. Hope you'll enjoy them.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 01:56:09 AM »

welcome