Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Monty Python and George  (Read 10891 times)

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
Re: Monty Python and George
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 03:27:42 PM »

I like Monty Python a lot. They remind me of The Beatles' sense of humour. But not always, I have to say.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »

I've always thought that George liked MP so much because their humour is so similar to Hard Day's Night-type stuff. Whenever I see that movie, I think of Monty Python.

Eric Idle, that shameless copy cat...

...kidding. I'm a Python fan. Love 'em to death.
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »

"While filming the last scene of Monty Python's Life of Brian, the cast were bored and hot sitting up on their crucifixes. So Eric Idle started singing a little ditty. Everyone (but Eric) liked it so much that they decided to use it. It has since become one of their most popular songs.

Brian Cohen (played by Graham Chapman) has been sentenced to death by crucifixion for his part in a kidnap plot. After a succession of apparent rescue opportunities all come to nothing, a character on a nearby cross (played by Eric Idle) attempts to cheer him up by singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" to him. As the song progresses, many of the other crucifixion victims (140 in all, according to the script, though fewer than that are actually seen on screen) begin to dance in a very limited way and join in with the song's whistled hook. The song continues as the scene changes to a long-shot of the crosses and the credits begin to roll. An instrumental version plays over the second half of the credits."

"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" was conceived as a parody of the style of song often featured in Disney films. It may be considered an 'answer song' to the entire genre, but particularly to songs such as "Give a Little Whistle" from Pinocchio. Its appearance at the end of the film, when the central character seems certain to die, is deliberately ironic.

Eric Idle singing at the end of Monty Python

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:47 PM »

The film scene:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo</a>

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 04:28:53 AM »

Quote from: 297
"While filming the last scene of Monty Python's Life of Brian, the cast were bored and hot sitting up on their crucifixes. So Eric Idle started singing a little ditty. Everyone (but Eric) liked it so much that they decided to use it.
Hmm, the Wikipedia version differs from the one that Eric gave during the Monty Python anniversary special.  In that special, which I have on tape, Eric explains that they needed a closer for the movie.  He came up with the song, "Always look on the bright side of life", and everyone hated it.  "I sang it very straight," said Eric. "They just didn't think it was funny."

Eric was also playing a character called Mr. Cheeky.  He's the guy who gets saved at the end by being a wiseacre.  Anyway, Mr. Cheeky used a Cockney accent.  Eric came up with the idea of applying a Cockney accent to his song and, bingo, it suddenly worked. That's why this character pops out of nowhere at the end, and starts singing the lyrics with the accent that we all recognize.

Eric also told a very moving story about that song.  During the Falklands Islands battles, one of the British ships was damaged and was sinking.  The crew, awaiting rescue for a couple of hours at least, started to sing "Always look on the bright side of life".  Eric said that was the most flattering tribute he ever had in his life. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »

^Awesome, harihead!!!I didn't know that, thanks for the explanaction! :)

By the way, I've uploaded a different clip of the song (non the film scene) here (49 Mb):
http://rapidshare.com/files/24975468/Monty_Phyton_-_Always_Look_on_The_Bright_Side_Of_Life_Stereo.avi.html

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 04:17:24 AM »

The Python Rules!!!!!!!My fiancee' is a Huge Fan!!!!!!!!! :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 11:18:29 PM »

Is your wife interesting in photography?
Snap Snap Grin Grin Wink Wink Say No More!!!! ;D ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 01:36:44 AM »

Quote from: 614
Is your wife interesting in photography?
Snap Snap Grin Grin Wink Wink Say No More!!!! ;D ;D
Is your wife a woman? i BET SHE IS. I bet she is. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge. ;) ;) ;D

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 09:16:25 PM »

a nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat ay? ay?
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »

Does your wife like games eh? She's been around, eh? Been around? ;D

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »

Oh, wicked. Wicked. You're wicked. Eh? Know what I mean. Know what I mean?

pure genius! Anytime people talk about Monty Python though, I tend to go off on a spiel about George! I'm so pleased that George had Monty Python as a way to show his high quality, wonderfully python-esque humour  :)

This is a bit off topic, but I read somewhere (wish I could re-find where it was!) that whilst John and George thought the Rutles were really funny, Paul was really unamused by them, and found the whole thing irritating...! It didn't really suprise me though- he seems to have a different sense of humour- maybe it's just that it is less 'off the wall' ?!  :)
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »

Yes, it does seem odd because all the Beatles seem to share the
same sense of humor. Maybe Paul thought it was taking the micky (which
in some way it is) but i've always put the film down as a tribute to the Liverpool lads! ;)
I biught the Rutles DVD some time back & i was listening to Eric Idle's
commentery where he said that, 'Linda McCartney loved the movie but never said
anything about paul.
George did say that, 'if you want to know about the Beatles, just watch the Rutles' ;D ;D ;)!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 04:06:54 PM »

I just ran across some interesting George interactions with the Pythons in Michael Palin's diary entries from the 70's. See:

http://www.deardiary.net/show/diaries/6814/1179878400

Michael mentions the Live at City Center show that opened this thread. It's sad that George was apparently in poor health when he did his "Lumberjack" performance.  George did seem to have recurring health problems throughout his life. Poor buddy. *hugs his memory*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 04:45:07 AM »

:D I've seen the second bit before, but never the first part with George as a pirate! Just thought I'd share the secret - forget rabbits (although they may be killers, Ah tell you!), George is a pirate!

<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&amp;videoid=5048336" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&amp;videoid=5048336</a>
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

foolonthehill

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2007, 01:34:08 AM »

I dont think Monty Python is very funny.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 75 queries.