Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Microscope: Plastic Ono Band  (Read 35450 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Microscope: Plastic Ono Band
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 02:09:59 AM »

I promise you'll get some very soon.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 03:06:06 AM »

Nice review Bobber. I think one good thing about this album is that it leads to mixed opinions. I'll add my review as well when I get the time.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »

Even The Wedding Album has got more views till now.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »

Even The Wedding Album has got more views till now.
You mean it's been knocked off the bottom!?
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »

It's very difficult to listen to.

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:57 AM »

I really wanted to review this this weekend, but just couldnt. My sister was in from North Carolina and my friends were in from Virginia. I'm working by myself tonight and tomorrow so it'll be impossible here at work. Friday for sure. That is my deadline.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »

Good God, a Lennon album I like.
This is not an easy listen, but then it's not supposed to be. And if the songs give us a look into a paranoid, self pitying self-obssessed mind then all the better, because that seems to have been his exact state of mind at the time. And if this album is about anything it's about honesty, however distorted or misplaced that may seem in retrospect.
Like Pepper, it's one of those albums where the individula songs don't really matter. If someone were to ask what one single Beatles solo album should they own, I'd say this one.
don't follow leaders

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »

Good God, a Lennon album I like.
This is not an easy listen, but then it's not supposed to be. And if the songs give us a look into a paranoid, self pitying self-obssessed mind then all the better, because that seems to have been his exact state of mind at the time. And if this album is about anything it's about honesty, however distorted or misplaced that may seem in retrospect.
Like Pepper, it's one of those albums where the individula songs don't really matter.

That's the exact problem I have with the album. I fully agree with your description of it, but when it comes to the songs themselves, I only really like about 3/4 of them. And when listening to an album, be it a "2-hits-and-10-fillers" one or a full-blown concept that doesn't work unless taken as a whole one, the songs' quality as individuals does matter to me.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »

Explain.

Pretty much what that new member Kevin says. Except the cranky middle aged retrospect angle.

I have the over loud odd Yoko mix from 2000 but I have money so I shall purchase the proper mix.

I only tend to listen to it when I'm in one of life's funks. But I shall make an exception for you, my beautiful clog wearing, tulip smelling, edam eating, windmill living friend.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:14:16 PM by Yeshelloitsmehereagain »

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »

Don't do it for me.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »

If someone were to ask what one single Beatles solo album should they own, I'd say this one.

Why?

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 10:10:11 AM »

Because he's a miserable git and it suits his mood.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »

Because he's a miserable git and it suits his mood.

Cheers for that. But I'm quite jolly at the moment thank you.
But really...First off, it’s not my favourite solo album, give me All Things Must pass, Band On The Run or Imagine for a good listen any day.

But I think because it’s so uncomfortable, raw and emotional  that it’s so great. Maybe like Picasso’s Guernica (excuse me while I don my extra big tossers hat here) the fact that it challenges you make it so good. Even if you don’t agree with the sentiments it expresses it’s hard to deny they’re very powerfully stated. For all Lennon’s faults (and they are legion) at least he was prepared to step out of the box. I just think thatr as an album it’s more than just a collection of songs (nothing wrong with that of course either.)
don't follow leaders

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »

My 2nd favourite solo Beatle album.
Ive thought about this and yes it is self obsessed and full of self pity but the whole thing about Primal Therapy is to be completely absorbed in ones self, almost to the point of obsession. Thats the whole point of the album, to kind of put Primal Therapy and it methods together with ones own experiences whilst undertaking the course, in a way its no different that George introducing Indian themes and singing mantra's like on My Sweet Lord.........so the album is much much more than a collection of songs, it is a concept album of sorts to be taken as a whole work and a commentary on 'doing' the course...kind of like a course diary.

One of the things I like about Johns music is that he always wrote and sang about what was in his head at that time (like a diary), a kind of social commentary on what he thought about certain issues, sometimes his views may have been misguided but he was always honest about the subject he wrote about, every song on this and Imagine is a dialogue of his thoughts on whatever was going on, it doesnt really matter if you agree with him, but he's being honest in his songs and he's saying something, using his songs as a vehicle to express opinion.

My problem with Pauls albums is always the opposite of this, I have absolutely no idea what Paul is singing about most of the time, I dont know what a Monkberry Moon delight is, or a C Moon, or why he says he is a Bluebird, or why his band is on the run, it all sounds very 'twee' to me, a pity, as Paul WAS capable of writing great lyrics when he could be bothered.......Ive always been a lyrics fan and I love it when artists have something to say, even if I dont agree (my favourite Pink Floyd album is The Final Cut, I must be mad)  ;D
Yes I like the stripped down and stark sound on this album, I wish Paul had played bass though, Im a fan of Macca bass playing.

I actually dont think there are that many artists that could have written this album, its not easy to kind of bare your soul to millions of people in an attempt to tell the world what is wrong with you, but I dont think anyone can imagine what its like to have parents who dont want you, after all when you a little child, your parents are THE most important people in your life, they are your rock which your whole being is pivoted on, you want them to love you and care for you, I simply cant imagine what it must be like if the opposite applies.
Good on John for releasing this pain in music and exorcising those inner feelings of inadequacy, and for wanting 'his' truth to be told.

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »

What's this 'honesty' thing? Is Working Class Hero an honest song? Or Isolation? And what 'wanting his truth to be told'? Everybody and every artist has his or her own truth that will always be in a song that is produced in one way or another. I don't see why John Lennon should be more special in that. It might be that he appeals more to a certain feeling that every individual listener has or has not.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »

What's this 'honesty' thing? Is Working Class Hero an honest song? Or Isolation?
I guess I mean that Lennon felt himself a working class hero. (whether he was or not doesn't really matter.)
He was determined to bare his soul, even if in retrospect those feelings appear now to be ...um...misguided.
I don't think an album needs to be honest to be good. But certainly he was ready to lay it on the line, more so than most. And that makes POB what it is. Self obsessed and paranoid to some admittedly.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »

Plastic Ono Band

This is the album that probably turned me off of John Lennon more so then anything else. I remember listening to it when I was younger feeling that he was having a pity party and he wanted the world to know. That was just something I couldn’t get behind. It was always the end of the world for poor John it seemed.

1. Mother – The opening bells are ok, but take too long. John then proceeds to drag us down into his depression of losing his mother at a very young age and his father leaving him. Enough already John. You grew up in a decent home and how many memories do you actually have? The angst here almost comes off as fake because its so much. Not enjoyable to me.

2. Hold On – The echo effects on the guitar are ok, but the drums are muddy as most of the album is. Again, we have John pleading for everyone to hold on as the situation is too dire to handle. Thankfully its short. Pass.

3. I Found Out – I have always liked this one. Its still a negative song and that grates on me some, but I’m sucker for the driving beat. The distorted production is almost a killer, but it kind of fits on this one.

4. Working Class Hero - I’ve always liked this one too. I always felt that John was trying to portray the experience of being an actual working class hero and that always made me laugh as his experience in that genre was short to say the least. Now, I just pass it off as John describing the scene which works. Love the acoustic although its nothing more then a constant loop. John’s story telling here is convincing enough. I like it.

5. Isolation – Another happy song (insert sarcasm tag here). Piano sounds good and the bass is awesome. Johns double tracking lead vocals in the middle is pretty cool, but he’s trying too hard here. It doesn’t come off at all for me. I don’t care for this song.

6. Remember – Why do the drums sound so crappy on this album? I always thought it was cool how this song sounds like it’s a straight four and then John’s singing makes it something else. I wonder what the time signature really is? Maybe it is a 4/4 and that’s how I would play it. Bass is cool again from Klaus. I don’t know. The songs pretty monotonous. Pass.

7. Love – Piano intro takes forever to get going. The lyrics are kind of silly on this one. Boring song in my opinion. Not a lot to say about this one as its not much of a song.

8. Well Well Well – I like this one. The production is horrible, but it almost sounds like its live and that’s how I always listened to it. Raunchy guitar from John Horrible wrong note from John at the 1:30 mark, but that’s ok. I usually cant stand songs like this because its repeating itself most of the song and really doesn’t go anywhere, but I dig the music for some reason. The screaming is annoying as hell, and the song is longer then sin, but it works for me.

9. Look At Me – Julia with new lyrics. Seriously, that is what this song is. Julia is much better. Pass.

10. God – And here we have the song that killed it for me for ever liking John to any extent. I’m a religious person and I hold this song as one of the most negative I’ve ever heard. Call me shallow if you must and don’t bother trying to explain the meaning of the song to me. I’m not going to change my mind. John doesn’t believe in anything except himself and Yucko. That’s great. What a happy person he must have been. A repeating song of nothing more then negativity. What joy.

11. My Mummys Dead – Rainbows and unicorns here people. Even John says its been so many years ago, but he’s hell bent on reminding us every chance he has. Song sounds like it was recorded on a 1920’s slate record. Horrible.

Geez, listening to this album made me remember why I prefer the other three guy’s solo efforts. The production here is horrible and all the instruments sound the same in every song. Almost makes me think it was a half assed effort. People argue that John sang about his true emotions and wore his feelings on his shoulder. If that’s the case, they can have him. Give me a Paul record any day. At least I wont feel like hanging myself afterwards.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »

Great review Cor and its good to hear from Kevin again. The contrast here is interesting. You have one camp that enjoys the emotions and 'honesty' of the album, and then we have the other camp that thinks John pulled the wool over their eye's. I fall into into the second side. I think John wanted us to think he was that screwed up and emotionally distraught most of the time. He lays it on so thick that I cant take him seriously. Here we have a 30 year old man that has very few to no memories of his mother and father and he's coming across as being so mentally tore up about it that he can barely handle it. Seriously? I dont believe him. I lost my father 10 years ago, and although I miss him, I feel i'm doing alright. Of course we also have to take into account of how he's the social recluse and the loaner. Yeah, nobody liked poor John and he felt alone. Again, give me a break. I dont have the energy to go into anymore detail. If I could say one thing about John Lennon, it would be that he was one hell of an actor. 

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »

Your views are respectable Todd, even though I don't agree with most of what you wrote here. I think that liking this album depends more on what you look for in a record than on musical taste; there's a slight difference between both things.

With regard to "God", I'm also a believer and I have my own feelings about this song too. I'll explain it when I do my review, but that will be in a couple of weeks because I have to travel to my girlfriend's city in order to help her with the preparation of our wedding.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Page created in 0.966 seconds with 83 queries.