Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Brian Epstein  (Read 28214 times)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Brian Epstein
« on: September 12, 2005, 02:42:51 PM »

Just thought he should have his thread in 5th Beatles.

At The Beatles exhibition in Liverpool they show the letter Brian wrote just before his death. It was like a resignation letter. Very sad to read as it goes.

Heres a pic I got of it.

http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Paulsluv

• A Thousand Pages
  • Hold me tight, Paul!
    • My livejournal
Re: Brian Epstein
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 05:13:03 PM »

Cool! I vaguely remember something like that 9 years ago unless they recently put in the exhibit.
Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.--Lilo and Stitch.
Beatles to battle!--Paul, Yellow Submarine movie
Listen. Do you want to know a secret?
Have you hugged your Paul Today?
Drop me a letter in my mailbox. :D

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 08:51:05 AM »

An article from The Guardian of August 28th, 1967

The Beatles' Diaghilev dies at 32

Stanley Reynolds
Monday August 28, 1967
The Guardian

Mr Brian Epstein, who built up the Beatles, Cilla Black, and others to international fame, was found dead in bed in his home in Belgravia, London, yesterday. He was 32.

Police were called by the housekeeper. A friend of Mr Epstein said: "He has been unwell for some months."

The Beatles were in Bangor where they were initiated into the cult of the Himalayan mystic, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Paul McCartney and his friend Jane Asher, the actress, left for London after hearing the news. Mr McCartney, looking pale and distressed, said: "It is a great shock and I am upset."

John Lennon said: "The Maharishi told us not to be too overwhelmed by grief. I have lost only a few people who were very close to me. This is one of those occasions, but I feel my course of meditation here has helped me overcome my grief more easily than before."

Brian Epstein was considered as the Svengali who, by magic, created the Beatles and the resulting beat music boom. But he always denied [this] and their long-running success has proved him right. He was far more the Diaghilev of pop music than a Svengali.

Indeed, his personal tastes were for the exotic, artistic, and classical. He loved classical music and enjoyed talking about it, which he could do in some depth. He was shy and sensitive.

The sensitive side of his nature was, perhaps, the source of his melancholy. At times he seemed like a character enmeshed in an elaborate ironic Nabokovian plot: the modern artist-business man beset by the thoroughly old-fashioned vulgarities of the Philistine.

Born in 1935, Epstein had a conventional middle-class Jewish background. At 16 he started in his father's furniture shop, and broke this off for a time to study at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, but became very successful in it as the manager of the family business record department.

In October, 1961. Customers, he said, kept asking for a record called "Mr Bonnie," which the Beatles had recorded in Germany for an obscure company. The Beatles were appearing at the Cavern Club, just round the corner from his shop. The rest of this story is well known.

Less well known or appreciated are Epstein's attempts to broaden his own scope as an impresario. In 1965 he bought the Saville Theatre. Unfortunately, he lost money with many of his productions there, particularly James Baldwin's play "The Amen Corner."

All this added to his melancholy; he suffered from poor health, and the death of his father, with whom he was extremely close, was another blow.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:33:21 AM »

I have a question about Brian. In Shout! i read that his "ex-lover broke the $3000 silence bond". But that will mean that everyone will know that the exlover was also homosexual and that was still illegal in Britain. So why would he do that? Just for the money? Also, what happened to someone who was homosexual then?

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 09:26:02 AM »

Quote from: 596
Also, what happened to someone who was homosexual then?

They burned in hell.
No really - I'll think you'll find that being homosexual wasn't illegal, but comitting a homosexual act (sodomy, listening to Barbara Streisand) was.
It's like drug laws now - Pete Doherty can't be busted for saying he takes drugs, police need to catch him in the act.
don't follow leaders

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:34:56 PM »

Pete Doherty should be arrested for being Pete Doherty.

A new 'Doherty Court Act' should be created.

All in favour - "Hear, hear!" ...
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:37:14 PM »

Cheers for the Photo App - Can anyone find a blow up version of the resignation letter(?)

On another note - how impressive is the level of journalism in regards to the Guardian article!
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 04:30:53 AM »

Pete Doherty is a Freak!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P    Back to topic, for once. ;D Brian, whatever he was, was Smart enough to listen to the kids about the Beatles and ask for that record. 8)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 09:31:12 PM »

Quote from: 593
;D Brian, whatever he was, was Smart enough to listen to the kids about the Beatles and ask for that record. 8)

I agree, if it wasn't for him... I love the man!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »

Thank god Brian was at the cavern that day!!
Brian saw something in the fabs & gave them a chance!
(like the rutles - they had something,  "i think it was the trousers!")

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 04:19:17 PM »

Pete Doherty and Kate Moss are being turned into media martyrs. Why do the papers pick on them when everyone knows that showbusiness is run on celebrity sherbert? They're just scapegoats, loads of other high profile people do all sorts of things, the police know about it, they just don't do a thing about it unless the papes want to pick on them. Then they have to investigate due to public outcry. They have to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing.

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »

I have mixed feelings towards Brian. He made The Beatles big, but maybe he also ruined them. He put them into suits because that would sell better towards the record companies and all that. Also he reduced their show to an almost meaningless half an hour. Just thirty minutes. I'm still amazed that people were happy with that, but maybe I should compare it to modern concerts. Brian turned their concerts into a routine instead of an inspiration. God knows what more could have come out of their talents if it had had the change to go wherever they wanted to go.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »

It's a strange situation. It many respects they seem like Elvis in that they handed their soles over to their manager. Yet they had the power to say "no more" in 1966. Why didn't they speak up earlier? Should Brian have seen it coming and done something about it? But maybe it's all just hindsight - the world was different then and Brian and the band were learning as they went along. There was no precedent for what they were doing.
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 12:44:02 PM »

Quote from: 63
[...] Also he reduced their show to an almost meaningless half an hour. Just thirty minutes. I'm still amazed that people were happy with that, but maybe I should compare it to modern concerts. Brian turned their concerts into a routine instead of an inspiration. [...]
My thoughts too  :-/ ... those people were happy with almost nothing but seeing them for a while  ::) ... but I want to believe that that was done by Brian because of their sketchdule: radio, recording sessions and later they were touring through US and Europe and even went to Australia and Japan and somewhere else and starred in films ... by the way, how long their shows at The Cavern used to be by 1962? ??) ...

As Kevin said: "There was no precedent for what they were doing"

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 12:54:55 PM »

Quote from: 297
by the way, how long their shows at The Cavern used to be by 1962? ??) ...
I think that was more than half an hour, even tho Mr Epstein was in charge then. The Star Club in December 1962 was probably one of the last venues to see them for a real full concert. Maybe early 1963 in some local places round Liverpool.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »

Quote from: 63
I think that was more than half an hour, even tho Mr Epstein was in charge then. The Star Club in December 1962 was probably one of the last venues to see them for a real full concert. Maybe early 1963 in some local places round Liverpool.
I'm sure that it was more than half an hour ... I think it could be about an hour or ... then a break? ??) ... and finalley another show of about an hour ... I've got no clue but that was always what I'd imagined ...

About The Star Club, I think it was more or less the same: an hour or some more, a break (for a striptease number or something else ;D) and more after that ... maybe those famous 8 hours were counting the moment the began the evening till the moment the played their last song in the night or in the early morning!LOL) breaks included ... just a theory  :-/ ...

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »

John Lennon said: "The Maharishi told us not to be too overwhelmed by grief. I have lost only a few people who were very close to me."
Ugh, that got me in the heart. "Only a few people"-- yeah, like his mom. Talk about putting a positive spin on it...

Back on topic. I don't know the length of the Star Club shows specifically, but most of the earlier Hamburg shows described the band as doing 45 minutes on, then a 15-minute break. Of course, the band was badgered to keep playing and shorten their break!

About Brian's shows being so short, from what I read, it was what "professional" groups did on their tours. A tour meant several acts going around the country, and each group did 10 or 15 minutes depending on their status, until the headliner who did--whoa! 30 whole minutes! Or even 35! Bonanza!

So Brian just took that formula to make the Beatles look like all the other professional groups. They still did long shows for ballrooms etc. that they had previously booked, but this was considered a step down from playing theatres. It was the convention of the time, strange and disappointing as it now seems to us. We want our favorite artists to play for 2 hours at least! How cool that could have been. I bet all the girls would have stopped screaming, if only from exhaustion, during a long show, and then they could have heard some banter as well. What a loss for everyone!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »

The mistake was to think that they were not important enough on their own to make a big show by themselves with maybe another two or three acts ... so they would be able to play for an hour or so too as they surely did in The cavern or The Star Club or ballrooms ...

... did they think that poeple woldn't have paid to see them and that they needed more acts or it was because of how much that tours would have costed? ??)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 03:21:01 PM »

I think the promoters (and Brian) wre just trying to make as much money as possible with the minimum effort. If kids were prepared to part with their cash for a twenty minute show then that was good business. Quality just wasn't an issue.
I would have hoped that The Beatles themselves would have pushed for a better arrangement, but it doesn't seem to have bothered them. They seem to have been caught up in the circus like everyone else. the whole Beatlemania thing seems to have a momentum that no one was prepared (or able) to change. But their defense was that no one was listening anyway.
Sad that such a great live act should have been reduced to what seems a shameless self-parody (not their fault though.)
Beatlemania was a beast.
don't follow leaders

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 09:19:33 PM »

8 HOUR SHOWS IN HAMBURG down to 30-mins shoes by 66. Crazy!!!!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 82 queries.