Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Brian Epstein  (Read 28204 times)

Bobber

Re: Brian Epstein
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 09:01:29 AM »

Mmm. I guess he was honest to The Beatles and that's a big plus. On the other hand he knew from the start he had gold in his hands, but didn't seem to be prepared on things to come. The merchandising deal with Seltaeb was a complete disaster. Brian was naive, but presented himself as a business man. I guess the real guys in the business must have had a big laugh on him every now and then.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 09:01:51 AM »

Quote from: 284

Now this poster is really confusing the hell out of me. The Moody Blues headlining at Wembley Stadium, with The Kinks supporting. ON 15th May 1964. What's wrong with this picture?

The Moodies first single wasn't released until August '64 - Lose Your Money. Their first hit was Go Now in November '64.

The Kinks had a number one hit in August '64 with You Really Got Me.

And yet both these bands are playing Wembley Stadium in May '64? A venue that at that time would have held 90,000 people? And it's a Friday, not a Saturday.

So, two virtually unknown bands playing a venue that holds at least 90,000 on a friday afternoon! Either that poster's a fake, or there's something very fishy going on!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »

According to Wiki the MB's only formed on 4th May 1964. It's must be a fake/misprint.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 10:30:17 AM »

Wiki also states that Wembley only became a music venue in 1972.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »

Quote from: 483
The first one's interesting. I never realised that they used Wembley Stadium for concerts back in 1964? Which begs the question - why the hell did The Beatles play stadiums in the US but not in the UK?

The concerts weren't held in the stadium. They were held in the adjacent wembley Sports Arena which is indoors (you can see this in footage as well). The only capacity figure I could find was 12,000. The Stadium wasn't used until '72.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2007, 09:49:58 AM »

It's such a waste of space to include those fake American Posters (WEMBLEY - 'British Invasion'??) that can be purchased for around 6 pounds, but are of no value whatsoever. The venues/ dates/ billing are totally nonsensical!  PR

Bobber

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2007, 10:03:49 AM »

Welcome to the forums, peterice.com...hope you'll enjoy them!   :)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 03:28:36 PM »

Welcome to the forums, peterice.com ... hope you'll enjoy them!  :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 10:40:30 PM »

Welcome to the forums peterice.com,  :) Enjoy!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2007, 10:42:28 AM »

Quote from: 185
According to Wiki the MB's only formed on 4th May 1964. It's must be a fake/misprint.
that does not seem right either...the mb's played the cavern too...in the early 60s.....

BlueMeanie

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2007, 11:43:43 AM »

Quote from: 284
that does not seem right either...the mb's played the cavern too...in the early 60s.....

A previous incarnation of The Moodies supported The Beatles on April 15th 1963 at Tenbury Wells, Worcester. Denny and The Diplomats (Denny Laine) also supported them in '63. One source has them supporting The Beatles on an entire tour in 1964, but I can't even find that in Lewisohn. There is a photo of them all together but I can't find it. Maybe our Spanish friend can help us out.

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2007, 09:53:46 PM »

Oh, I have that picture. But I won't post it of course. Let our Spanish friend do it!  ;D

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2007, 03:35:09 AM »

I stumbled across a fun quote while reading up on Larry Kane's book about touring with the Beatles in '64 & '65. Larry writes:
In 1964, the group was still very much aware of fame's fragility, and enjoying every minute.

"They kept getting asked, 'When's the bubble going to burst?' We'd joke about it in the back of the plane," Kane recalled. "It was on their minds, that they'd fade sometime."

But, he added, not everyone was convinced the Beatles were a flash in the pan.

"There were two people who thought they were the greatest band in the world -- Brian Epstein and John Lennon," Kane said. "Both of them felt that they'd last into the next century."

Both of them felt that they'd last into the next century. -- They didn't live to see it come true, but they certainly called that correctly. I think that's awesome. Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »

Quote from: 551
I stumbled across a fun quote while reading up on Larry Kane's book about touring with the Beatles in '64 & '65. Larry writes:

Both of them felt that they'd last into the next century. -- They didn't live to see it come true, but they certainly called that correctly. I think that's awesome. Cheers.

it is. thank you for that hirahead.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Bobber

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »

From Times Online

Biteback: Brian Epstein film planned
Richard Brooks

There are at least five

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2008, 12:11:09 AM »

Old Rolling Stone link from 2006:

[size=18]Beatles Manager Subject of Film[/size]
"The Fifth Beatle" will depict life of Brian Epstein
LYNNE MARGOLIS Posted Feb 02, 2006 1:00 PM / Rolling Stone

Brian Epstein, the man who shepherded the Beatles to stardom, will be the subject of the upcoming feature film The Fifth Beatle. The screenplay was written by Vivek Tiwary -- a producer on the Tony Award-winning Broadway revival of A Raisin in the Sun that starred Sean "Diddy" Combs -- and it conveys the rock & roll manager's life through historical scenes, dream sequences and hallucinations.

"It's closer to [Pink Floyd's] The Wall than Ray," says Tiwary, adding that Beatles music will not be an element. "That would overshadow the fact that I'm trying to tell Brian's story, not the Beatles story."

Tiwary became interested in Epstein twelve years ago, when he decided to pursue music management himself (Tiwary represents Columbia Records recording artist Ari Hest and founded the musician community site StarPolish). The American son of Indian immigrants, Tiwary particularly related to Epstein, a gay Jewish man in post-war England, as an outsider, and he set out to explore the methods of the man who rewrote the rules for developing bands.

"He was a staggering success," the filmmaker says. Indeed, in addition to discovering the Beatles at Liverpool's Cavern Club and launching them to world stardom, Epstein also managed a stable of other British Invasion bands, brought Jimi Hendrix to the U.K., booked the Who and Cream, produced films and even owned a luxury car dealership.

"I was hoping to find a blueprint for success in the music management world," Tiwary says. Instead, he found "this tremendously inspirational human story."

Among those Tiwary interviewed for the film were Epstein's former business partner Nat Weiss and his former assistant Joanne Peterson, who has been at work on a book called There's a Beatle in My Closet, which allegedly claims that Epstein had an affair with a member of the band. Based on his research, Tiwary believes Epstein was attracted to all the Beatles, in particular John Lennon, but he doesn't buy into -- nor does his script dramatize -- such an affair. "Epstein would have none of something like that," he says, "if only because it would have been so unprofessional."

The script also deals with Epstein's death by overdose of the drug Carbital. Although there has been much speculation that it was a suicide, Tiwary stands by the official explanation, that it was an accidental overdose. He notes that the drug buildup was gradual, and that it would have been uncharacteristic for such a meticulous businessman to take his life without leaving a will.

Tiwary, who has the blessing of the Epstein estate for The Fifth Beatle, hopes to attract a major director and would like to debut the film in Epstein's hometown of Liverpool in 2008, the year the city will serve as Europe's "Capital of Culture."

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2008, 02:34:35 AM »

So is Jude Law still gonna play him? Sounds interesting anyway.

And how can it be closer to The Wall if they're not using Beatles' music? I mean, what music are they going to use? And what, is there gonna be some freaky, disturbing animation in it? Brian sitting in his apartment staring into space and morphing into a huge...um...you know. I'm trying to picture this here. I mean, The Wall didn't even really have dialogue! I doubt this movie will have any of those elements. Maybe this guy never actually saw The Wall.

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »

he was... A JEW? oh yeah... he really was, I forgot  :-/ . whoever R.I.P Brian, but why so many people consider him as the 5th Beatle? especially when Paul likes to call Brian as the 5th Beatle?

Bobber

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »

BRIAN EPSTEIN IN VINTAGE BBC INTERVIEW: The recent stories about the financial problems of the BBC (and the possible closing of BBC6) and the possible downsizing of the website are sad because you can find some wonderful stuff hidden there. Here's a great half-hour interview with Brian Epstein from 1963. He talks about wanting to be an actor, how he connected with the Beatles, his love of classical music, the plans for the first Beatles film and more. Hopefully, stuff like this won't be lost. There is a second shorter Epstein profile that includes comments from Cilla Black and Gerry Marsden and some live music (sounds like Billy J. Kramer) in the background and recording session audio by Tommy Quickly, an hourlong chat with Cavern Club emcee Bob Wooler and a short interview from Gerry Marsden.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:45:20 AM by Bobber »

Daveyo

• A Beginning
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »

Mmm. I guess he was honest to The Beatles and that's a big plus. On the other hand he knew from the start he had gold in his hands, but didn't seem to be prepared on things to come. The merchandising deal with Seltaeb was a complete disaster. Brian was naive, but presented himself as a business man. I guess the real guys in the business must have had a big laugh on him every now and then.

I seem to cannot somehow agree of about Epstein being honest with the group.  Its a real dirty business and I have not heard any manager being honest to the groups they represented to this day.  Its well known that the contract that was signed by the Beatles group was basically a do or die when they first started trying to reach out to the public because no one else wanted to manage them or even get their music recorded.  His last contract was due to expire in 1967, but he died prior to its expiration.  The other post is correct by BlueMeanie about the 25% which is in that contract and each Beatle got I think a penny or less for every song sold.  Their pay was in British currency.  Last of all the Beatles were actually very much broke so it was Epstein who carried them and paid for all their expenses out of his pocket as it was reported which very few do and it does add up debt wise.  Once the group became popular his wealth grew by leaps and bounds.  He was basically their financial banker so to speak and negotiator to the Recording Companies and promotions etc.

I am sure He did not know in the beginning he had a band that would become immensely popular, in fact so much that even John Lennon said they were better than jesus, at the height of their pinnacle and fame, but had faith in the group and became very close together as friends and he stuck by them to the end (having two sides of himself).  A lot of bands were competing during this time period in the early 60's and I think it was the type of music beat they came out with being so very much different, and it stood out most from all the others in the crowd and the people started to noticed it and from there on out, it really picked up fast and Music itself changed almost overnight.  It just so happens they were in the right place and at the right time and things started to click together step by step.

Hey this is my first post outside of Paul McCartney forum topic.  Wow.

Daveyo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 78 queries.