Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87590 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Books
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »

I just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin, which I believe is still in theaters over here in the States. It was an incredible downer, although a fascinating read. The depressingness (is that a word? LOL) of it is why I took a break to read the Sophie Kinsella book I mentioned earlier. I finished WNTTAK last night, and it had a surprise, and horribly sad, ending.

Anyone else read this? It's weird; I enjoyed it because it was interesting, but I struggle with depression, plus I'm going through a divorce, so it wasn't really the best timing.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »

Anyone else read this? It's weird; I enjoyed it because it was interesting, but I struggle with depression, plus I'm going through a divorce, so it wasn't really the best timing.
Oh blast that is bad timing! I havent read the book primarily because I have been told that it is a very depressing book. It reminds me how my friend tried to cheer me up when I broke up with my boyfriend a while ago... she took me to watch Adam. Have you seen it? So depressing and so not the right movie for me at the time

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

KelMar

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2012, 04:37:22 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up. It does not sound like a good read for me at all! Right now I'm reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. It was included with the Kindle software I put on my computer which got me started with it but I am now reading the actual book. That Kindle stuff is just for cookbooks because I have no more room for more real ones. I've never read any Jane Austen before so I figured it was about time. I hate to admit it but I also checked out the Cliff Notes because I was having trouble keeping all the characters straight!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »

Oh blast that is bad timing! I havent read the book primarily because I have been told that it is a very depressing book. It reminds me how my friend tried to cheer me up when I broke up with my boyfriend a while ago... she took me to watch Adam. Have you seen it? So depressing and so not the right movie for me at the time

Hmm; no, I've never seen Adam. I'll have to look it up on imdb. Doesn't sound like the greatest choice for helping to cheer someone up, although that's nice that your friend had good intentions! 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up. It does not sound like a good read for me at all! Right now I'm reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. It was included with the Kindle software I put on my computer which got me started with it but I am now reading the actual book. That Kindle stuff is just for cookbooks because I have no more room for more real ones. I've never read any Jane Austen before so I figured it was about time. I hate to admit it but I also checked out the Cliff Notes because I was having trouble keeping all the characters straight!

How are you liking Pride and Prejudice, Kelley? I've never read any of Jane Austen's books; I keep meaning to give them a try.

KelMar

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »

How are you liking Pride and Prejudice, Kelley? I've never read any of Jane Austen's books; I keep meaning to give them a try.

I put it on the back burner for a day or two. I am reading the latest in the "Miss Julia" series by Ann B. Ross which I had on reserve. I think I've mentioned these books before. They are really funny and Jane Austen really isn't. I'll get back to her and let you know though.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2012, 02:50:22 PM »

I just got 'Revolution In The Head', can't wait to read it.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »

Finished Dean Koontz's Life Expectancy. It was so bizzarely cute! Now reading another Dean Koontz - Winter Moon

I put it on the back burner for a day or two. They are really funny and Jane Austen really isn't. I'll get back to her and let you know though.
That's what I find with classics. One of the best classics I read though was Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, suprisingly enough. Never read any Jane Austen though

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »

I really liked Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, too, and like you, Kaleidoscope_Eyes, I was surprised. I guess I'd expected something much, um, "fluffier" (not the right word, but close enough).

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:55 PM »

The movie was good too...

Dr. Frankenstein

And it's FrankenSTEEN!
I can stay till it's time to go

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »

Ordered 3 more Ben Elton's ... Cant get enough of this guy

Read 2 and a half books of Dean Koontz ..... I dont see the greatness? Some books were really good (like, Life Expectancy) but all the other ones that I read or started reading were lacking in plot, or were really slow and boring.

KelMar

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 03:35:38 AM »

Ordered 3 more Ben Elton's ... Cant get enough of this guy

Read 2 and a half books of Dean Koontz ..... I dont see the greatness? Some books were really good (like, Life Expectancy) but all the other ones that I read or started reading were lacking in plot, or were really slow and boring.

One of his caught my eye today when I was shelving books but I can't remember which one it was. Right now I'm reading Arcadia by Lauren Groff. It's about a kid who grew up in a commune in the 1970's. It takes place in western New York, which is where I live but I think it's further north. It's finally starting to get interesting. It's told in the third person but from his perspective which made it kind of strange when he was five!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »

I'm reading The Lifeboat, by Charlotte Rogan, and I can't put it down. I love anything connected to ocean liners. I just hope it doesn't get as gruesome as the nonfiction Whaleship Essex book. I'm too lazy to walk upstairs and check the full title and author (Nathaniel Philbrick, I think).

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2012, 04:45:38 AM »

It's finally starting to get interesting. It's told in the third person but from his perspective which made it kind of strange when he was five!
Third person from the character's perspective? That's an interesting style!
I'm reading The Lifeboat, by Charlotte Rogan, and I can't put it down. I love anything connected to ocean liners
Not sure what ocean liners are exactly but I am guessing its to do with the ocean... on that note, have you read Wilbur Smith's Birds of Prey? its all about adventures in the ocean (I need to add that its a door stopper too! :P )

My boss (of all people) gave me two books to read - The Mountains of Madness by H P Lovecraft and The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross .... I have lots of books to get through!!!! Woot!

KelMar

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »

Third person from the character's perspective? That's an interesting style!

Yes. It really made me think and now that I am further into the book I can see that his view of life in the commune was very different from how we as adults would see it. It's a very well-written book but I'm not so sure I like the way the ending is being told.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »

Not sure what ocean liners are exactly but I am guessing its to do with the ocean... on that note, have you read Wilbur Smith's Birds of Prey? its all about adventures in the ocean (I need to add that its a door stopper too! :P )

My boss (of all people) gave me two books to read - The Mountains of Madness by H P Lovecraft and The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross .... I have lots of books to get through!!!! Woot!

An ocean liner is a big ship. I've long been fascinated by the Olympic-era ocean liners, in particular the Lusitania and the Titanic. (And the Andrea Dorea, but she wasn't Olympic era.)

I have not heard of Birds of Prey, but I'll look that up on Amazon. Those other two books you mentioned have intriguing titles.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »

The kids and I will soon be moving from our house to an apartment (thanks to my evil ex-husband. . . but that's a rant for a different forum), and I am hoping I can fit all my books in! I usually weed out on a regular basis those I don't want to keep, by donating them to the library or to school rummage sales, but I have literally four multi-shelf bookshelves packed with books that I am loathe to part with. (I suppose I should be grammatically correct and say "...with which I am loathe to part"  ;D.)

I'm having visions of my new bedroom being just a mattress on the floor with stacks of books towering around. Come to think of it, that might not be so bad.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »

The kids and I will soon be moving from our house to an apartment (thanks to my evil ex-husband. . . but that's a rant for a different forum), and I am hoping I can fit all my books in! I usually weed out on a regular basis those I don't want to keep, by donating them to the library or to school rummage sales, but I have literally four multi-shelf bookshelves packed with books that I am loathe to part with. (I suppose I should be grammatically correct and say "...with which I am loathe to part"  ;D.)

I'm having visions of my new bedroom being just a mattress on the floor with stacks of books towering around. Come to think of it, that might not be so bad.  ;)

;)
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:49 AM »

Keep those books Kathy. As Ernest said, "There are no friends as loyal as a book". You and your kids will continue to be in my prayers.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »

Keep those books Kathy. As Ernest said, "There are no friends as loyal as a book". You and your kids will continue to be in my prayers.

Thanks, Kelley; I really, truly appreciate that!

HelloGoodbye -- That's one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes!  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Page created in 0.902 seconds with 77 queries.