Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Avril Lavigne singing Imagine.  (Read 2009 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Avril Lavigne singing Imagine.
« on: June 13, 2007, 11:41:15 PM »

QvZF2NQZiqA

I know most (if not all) of you hate Avril, but I thought I would post this as a point of interest. Speaking as a fan, I am biased, but I think it is pretty good. She's never been known for changing songs that she covers, so this is pretty true to the original, except that it's sung in her voice. Her singing is quite sweet on this- very mellifluous, which is how I always thought Imagine should be, and not like that awful cover by A Perfect Circle. The strings are pretty, too.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: Avril Lavigne singing Imagine.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 11:46:43 PM »

I don't hate Avril. I just don't think she gets it. I'd still give it to her though.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »

Why do people want to ruin things? Maybe it's nicely ruined but that don't make a difference.

nousha

• A Beginning
  • Fairy witch
    • My Poetry
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 08:37:46 AM »

Well, I don't like this cover.
On the album "Instant Karma" (I wrote about it in the John Lennon forum) there's another cover of Imagine, done by Jack Johnson. I think it's better:
l5dPONbwSCk
On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux   My blogspace

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »

I don't particularly care for the song at the best of times. I wish they'd given it to Marilyn Manson. Now that would be a cover.
But Avril does a good enough job. Good on her.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »

She sounds like a 12 year old. Feeble voice, I never much cared for the song either.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »

Quote from: 185
I don't particularly care for the song at the best of times. I wish they'd given it to Marilyn Manson. Now that would be a cover.
But Avril does a good enough job. Good on her.

What do you dislke about the song?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 02:47:29 PM »

Quote from: 724

What do you dislke about the song?

I find the melody dreary, the lyric dull and the sentiment naive.
Some songs grab ya, some don't. This doesn't.
I had my first close dance (and with a girl!) to this song when I was 13. Julie Alexander. Her mum was our drama teacher. She smelt very good.
But even that can't save this junkie dirge for me.
And of course I'm not a fan of the diefication of St John and this song is the soundtrack to that.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:41 PM »

Just for the record it doesn't make me run screaming from the room.
Nor do I dislike it as much as "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" "Power to the People"  "Woman is the N*gger of the World" or "Son of Imagine" - I mean "Mindgames"
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »

Has anyone heard the Joan Baez version? I think it's also quite good. She changes it just enough so that it's unique to her, but she doesn't oversing it. I hate it when artists change the song too much. It's a simple song and it should be sung that way so the musical elements don't overpower the message.

But yes, I agree that Imagine is overrated and John has better songs. I think one of the reasons so many fans hate it is because we hear it ALLLLL the time.

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 08:32:39 PM »

It's OK, but not much better. However it is still a million times better than the version Madonna recorded of that song.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:05:18 PM »

Quote from: 218
Has anyone heard the Joan Baez version? I think it's also quite good. She changes it just enough so that it's unique to her, but she doesn't oversing it. I hate it when artists change the song too much. It's a simple song and it should be sung that way so the musical elements don't overpower the message.

But yes, I agree that Imagine is overrated and John has better songs. I think one of the reasons so many fans hate it is because we hear it ALLLLL the time.

I disagree with the changing things bit. If you are going to do a cover it has to be for a good reason like a different arrangement or take on the lyric, whats the point in recording a cover and having it sound like a rip of the original?

People say that some covers are better than the orignals, well in some cases they may be, like if it wasn't written by the singer or group for a particular artist then the writer kinda sends it out to different interpretations (in some cases). But if the original is written by the artist then their soul is entrenched in the lyric, they sing it knowing exactly what it is they are singing and where it has come from, the sentiment etc... no cover artist can replicate that in any way.

Fiona Apple my backside.

Imagine, for most people, is some soft liberal tune about some hopeful hippy, dope smoking utopia, all politics and religion, very naive and obvious. Just a hopeful and hopeless wish for World Peace. Well on a very naive and obvious level that may be the case. I know how I feel about that song but I cannot put it into words. I'd like to know what others feel the song is about.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 09:17:50 PM »

I'm all for artists changing songs, just not in the way that some people change Imagine.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »

Yeah I agree with that. We all have our preferences. My last post wasn't directed at you I just used your quote to make mine.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 11:04:53 PM »

Avril has no singing ability... she probably has no clue who john lennon was b/c she's so "punk" ... i have heard a little of her cover and it is pitiful...

and since imagine was such a big song dislike it or love it... someone better should have sang it... someone who truly is influenced by john or the beatles...

people covering beatle songs gets me so irritated... i'm just like stop... b/c i can't stand it... idk why... it's just like there GREAT songs there fine don't touch them go cover another song....

(no offense mairi, just staing my honest oppionion)

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 11:11:48 PM »

I don't really care what other people think of my favorite artists. Well, not Avril anyway. But she is influenced by the Beatles, you know. In Ellegirl August 2004 she said that they were her favorite band.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 03:47:06 AM »

i just thought that if you were going to make a cover album of all john lennon songs, you could do a collective version of all the singers singing it. that way we dont have to deal with some artist that we never wanted to see do a cover of one of the most famous lennon songs, and instead have it mean more by having all sing it
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 08:50:52 AM »

Quote from: 343
i just thought that if you were going to make a cover album of all john lennon songs, you could do a collective version of all the singers singing it. that way we dont have to deal with some artist that we never wanted to see do a cover of one of the most famous lennon songs, and instead have it mean more by having all sing it

Sorry SD, I don't particularly love the song, and I think the lyrics are very naive (as were a few of John's), but the thought of Imagine done in a 'We Are The World' stylee has me running for the bathroom!! ;)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »

I had a think about my dislike for Imagine last night, wondering if this was due more to my utter distaste for post- Beatle peace-loving John (and especialy all the hype surrounding him.). I acknowledge, as Masterofgoingfaster said, that it is about a hippy utopia and not a statement of fact. I also accept that Lennon was very much into being direct at that time - that he did not wish to hide his message in poetry or ambiguity (shame - because that was one of things that made his -and Paul's - Beatle work so exciting.)
And maybe in the days of Vietnam, assassinations, Watergate, El Salvadore, Kent State and The Cold War the world needed a little naivety.
Do I dislike it because it so disagrees with my right wing views (I like my country and possessions), or because it gets played so much?
Do I hate it because Julie Alexander dumped me after a week and tore my little heart into bits and pieces?
Or just because it's so damn boring - if ever a song needed a BIG middle eight it's Imagine.
Buggered if I know. But I wanted you to know that I do think about these things.
Thank you.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »

Actually, the melody is what I like about the song. I think it needs to be sung simply, and not 'overblown' like some artists do it. The lyrics match the melody.

Also, I hate it when females do Beatles covers, but I prefer females over males doing solo John. Weird, huh?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 85 queries.