Beatles forums > Books, Magazines, Articles

Beatles references in random book

(1/3) > >>

Moogmodule:
To tide me over during our current lockdown, I downloaded a copy of Bad Days in History by former Washington Post journo and history author Michael Farquhar. The book takes each day of the year and describes a negative historical event, at least from the subject’s point of view, from that day (a cheery read as you can imagine).

The author must be a Beatles fan. Of the 365 days (29 Feb is excluded), three deal with Beatle or Beatle member issues; Pete Best’s sacking, the beginning of the law suit for My Sweet Lord and the release of Two Virgins (i think he implies that it was a bad day for everyone). He also refers to the Beatles on three other days, including one dealing with Badfinger’s Pete Ham suicide.

Considering he was drawing from all of recorded human history and the breadth of human activity, it’s quite an impressive proportion.

Normandie:

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on August 25, 2021, 12:33:41 AM ---. . . and the release of Two Virgins (i think he implies that it was a bad day for everyone).

--- End quote ---

ha2ha

I presume, because you did not list it, that the author did not mention John's murder. Just curious, what was the December 8 event he selected?

Moogmodule:

--- Quote from: Normandie on August 25, 2021, 08:37:34 AM --- ha2ha

I presume, because you did not list it, that the author did not mention John's murder. Just curious, what was the December 8 event he selected?

--- End quote ---

No he didn’t! I thought that would be an obvious one given his seeming proclivities. It was the attack on the Philippines by the Japanese in ww2.

Normandie:

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on August 25, 2021, 09:56:11 AM ---No he didn’t! I thought that would be an obvious one given his seeming proclivities. It was the attack on the Philippines by the Japanese in ww2.

--- End quote ---

That does seem an odd omission.

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on August 25, 2021, 12:33:41 AM ---Considering he was drawing from all of recorded human history and the breadth of human activity, it’s quite an impressive proportion.

--- End quote ---

It sure is. Always nice to see the Fab Four get their due, in any way, shape, or form.

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on August 25, 2021, 09:56:11 AM ---. . . (a cheery read as you can imagine).

--- End quote ---

Well, gee, Moogmodule, if you're going to go that route, just turn on the American news.  ;D

Moogmodule:

--- Quote from: Normandie on August 25, 2021, 03:27:26 PM ---That does seem an odd omission.

--- End quote ---

If he wrote the book chronologically, maybe by the time he’d got to December he realised it was already a bit Beatle heavy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version