Beatles forums > Polls

Poll: Which Is Your Favorite Version Of I'm Looking Through You?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Hello Goodbye:
I started this thread as a poll several years ago.  With a change in servers a while back, the poll was lost.  So I'm adding the poll again.

Which version do you prefer?

nimrod:

--- Quote from: Bobber on May 12, 2006, 07:11:11 AM ---For me too: the 'why tell me why'-part makes the official version better.

--- End quote ---

this ^

Jema:
I prefer the Take 1 version, I really love the way that one sounds, though it would be better if the "why, tell me why" part was in it! I like how people refer to that part, it totally makes the Rubber Soul version!

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Jema on October 15, 2012, 09:13:08 PM ---I prefer the Take 1 version, I really love the way that one sounds, though it would be better if the "why, tell me why" part was in it! I like how people refer to that part, it totally makes the Rubber Soul version!

--- End quote ---

The "why tell me whys" tone down the sentiment of the song.  I mean if you're gonna tell someone off by saying "I'm looking through you," then emphasize it with a biting guitar solo and caustic "you're nowheres."

But the released version is nicely done.  The "why tell me why did you not treat me right...Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight" was plaintive enough to allow for a reconciliation with Jane.

Thank you, Jema, for not allowing me to be the only one casting a vote for Take 1.    :)

KelMar:
I've always liked this song a lot, mostly because "Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight" is a very clever way of stating an unfortunate truth. Discovering Take 1 was one of my favorite moments when I first listened to Anthology 2. I really had no idea at first what song it was so that was fun. Ironically, right around the time this topic was reintroduced I was doing that "can't stop listening to it" thing with Take 1. It's hard to pick a favorite; both versions are exactly where they belong since the released version fits the folk feel of Rubber Soul better. You're right Barry; we are fortunate to have both! And BTW, it kind of freaked me out when I listened to the Take 1 posted here. I thought there was something wrong with my CD since it doesn't have Norman Smith at the beginning. ha2ha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version