Solo forums > George Harrison

THE FIRST BEATLE IN AMERICA

<< < (2/3) > >>

Moogmodule:
Is there any detail why George went to the US then and why Benton, Illinois in particular?

Bobber:

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on December 18, 2013, 10:34:06 AM ---Is there any detail why George went to the US then and why Benton, Illinois in particular?

--- End quote ---

He visited his sister Louise, who lived there at that time.

"I'd been to America before, being the experienced Beatle that I was. I went to New York and St Louis in 1963, to look around, and to the countryside in Illinois, where my sister was living at the time. I went to record stores. I bought Booker T and the MGs' first album, Green Onions, and I bought some Bobby Bland, all kind of things."  George Harrison in Anthology

Hello Goodbye:
George also bought a Fireglo Rickenbacker 425 at Fenton's Music Store in Mount Vernon, Illinois.  He had it refinished in black to match John's recently-painted 325 before he picked it up  He debuted the 425 on Great Britain's "Ready, Steady, Go!" TV show the following month...

The Beatles - Twist And Shout (Ready, Steady, Go! 1963)
4 October 1963

You Won't See Me   George Harrison Purchases a Rickenbacker

Hello Goodbye:
George also visited New York City and the Empire State Building before his flight back to Great Britain...

Moogmodule:

--- Quote from: Hello Goodbye on December 19, 2013, 03:05:04 AM ---George also bought a Fireglo Rickenbacker 425 at Fenton's Music Store in Mount Vernon, Illinois.  He had it refinished in black to match John's recently-painted 325 before he picked it up  He debuted the 425 on Great Britain's "Ready, Steady, Go!" TV show the following month...

--- End quote ---

You know if there's one real regret I have of not becoming a rich and famous musician it's probably the ability to just wander in to a music store on some trip and buy any expensive guitar that takes my fancy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version