Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remove and replace 1 song from "1967-1970"  (Read 7925 times)

dbone828

• A Beginning
Remove and replace 1 song from "1967-1970"
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:19:42 AM »

If you could remove 1 song from the Beatles' compilation 1967-1970 and add another song (released sometime between '67 and '70) to the compilation, what would they be?

Here is the track list, as a reminder:

Disc 1
1.   Strawberry Fields Forever
2.   Penny Lane
3.   Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
4.   With a Little Help from My Friends
5.   Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
6.   A Day in the Life
7.   All You Need Is Love
8.   I Am the Walrus
9.   Hello, Goodbye
10.   The Fool on the Hill
11.   Magical Mystery Tour
12.   Lady Madonna
13.   Hey Jude
14.   Revolution

Disc 2
1.   Back in the USSR
2.   While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3.   Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
4.   Get Back
5.   Don’t Let Me Down
6.   The Ballad of John and Yoko
7.   Old Brown Shoe
8.   Here Comes the Sun
9.   Come Together
10.   Something
11.   Octopus’s Garden
12.   Let It Be
13.   Across the Universe
14.   The Long and Winding Road
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

dbone828

• A Beginning
Re: Remove and replace 1 song from "1967-1970"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:40:02 AM »

In terms of which song gets the boot, I think this is a no-brainer. Don’t get me wrong. George is my favourite Beatle, but I think most fans and even first-time listeners of the set wonder what in the world “Old Brown Shoe” is doing there. The only explanation I can come up with is that it was a rarity to attract fans and/or perhaps it was agreed that Harrison have at least 4 songs represented in the series (the equivalent of at least one song per record, like during their recording career).  But why not include “Taxman”—arguably George’s 4th-popular Beatles song—to the already-running-low-in-Revolver-tracks 1962-1966 compilation, and add another track from The White Album, or at least one track from Yellow Submarine in its place?

Well, that’s what I’m going to do.  I am tempted to go with “Hey Bulldog,” just to represent Yellow Submarine somehow, but I suppose you could make the argument that the title track and “All You Need Is Love” already show up in the compilations.  Plus, there are at least 10 White Album songs that are more essential than “Hey Bulldog.”

So which White Album song do I choose? Should I go with the irresistible “Dear Prudence” to tie-in with “Back in the USSR”? Of course not.  The latter track finally has a clean fade-out, and we want to keep it that way for collectors. “Helter Skelter,” “Happiness Is a Warm Gun,” and “Birthday” are all strong contenders, but I’m going to go with “Blackbird” (even if there are already 2 Paul songs from the album, and 0 John songs)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:04:24 AM »

Remove: Old Brown Shoe.

Replace: Blackbird. Of all the Beatles songs that weren't singles, this is probably among the best known ones.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »

I need to think about this one some more. The Partridge Family is on right now and my mind isnt in its right place.

Timeless

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »

I love the song "Old Brown Shoe"! So, of course, this song has to stay.  :)

I'd remove "Hello, Goodbye" or "Back in the USSR".
I'd add the songs "Rain" or "Hey Bulldog" instead.

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 01:31:04 AM »

In terms of which song gets the boot, I think this is a no-brainer. Don’t get me wrong. George is my favourite Beatle, but I think most fans and even first-time listeners of the set wonder what in the world “Old Brown Shoe” is doing there. The only explanation I can come up with is that it was a rarity to attract fans and/or perhaps it was agreed that Harrison have at least 4 songs represented in the series (the equivalent of at least one song per record, like during their recording career).  But why not include “Taxman”—arguably George’s 4th-popular Beatles song—to the already-running-low-in-Revolver-tracks 1962-1966 compilation, and add another track from The White Album, or at least one track from Yellow Submarine in its place?

Well, that’s what I’m going to do.  I am tempted to go with “Hey Bulldog,” just to represent Yellow Submarine somehow, but I suppose you could make the argument that the title track and “All You Need Is Love” already show up in the compilations.  Plus, there are at least 10 White Album songs that are more essential than “Hey Bulldog.”

So which White Album song do I choose? Should I go with the irresistible “Dear Prudence” to tie-in with “Back in the USSR”? Of course not.  The latter track finally has a clean fade-out, and we want to keep it that way for collectors. “Helter Skelter,” “Happiness Is a Warm Gun,” and “Birthday” are all strong contenders, but I’m going to go with “Blackbird” (even if there are already 2 Paul songs from the album, and 0 John songs)

When I bought the Blue Album 35 years ago, I remember very distinctly asking myself WTF Old Brown Shoe was doing there. Now, if I had to replace it, all of the above choices are good candidates, indeed. But if I had to choose one of George’s, I would go with Blue Jay Way.
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »

The album was released in 73. Having nothing but album tracks that most people already had wouldn't have made commercial sense. Including b sides and EP tracks not on albums would incite more people to purchase it, plus giving it more of an anthology feel, rather than just a greatest hits package.
If I'm right 13 of the 28 songs weren't available on an album in the UK.

If I was going to remove something it would be the god awful Octopuses Garden, but Richie must have been very happy with the copmposer royalties.
don't follow leaders

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »

The album was released in 73. Having nothing but album tracks that most people already had wouldn't have made commercial sense. Including b sides and EP tracks not on albums would incite more people to purchase it, plus giving it more of an anthology feel, rather than just a greatest hits package.
If I'm right 13 of the 28 songs weren't available on an album in the UK.

If I was going to remove something it would be the god awful Octopuses Garden, but Richie must have been very happy with the copmposer royalties.
I can understand the value in including rarities like "Old Brown Shoe" back in '73 when there were no Past Masters, but how come 1962-1966 only has 7 of its 26 tracks previously unavailable on any British album, when there were plenty of rarities to go around ("Thank You Girl," "I'll Get You," "This Boy," "I Call Your Name," "She's a Woman," "Yes It Is," "I'm Down," "Rain")?

Even though I think that the Red and Blue companion albums are some of the greatest compilations ever released by anyone, it kind of seems as though they were compiled by two completely different people with different agendas.

LovelyLennon.

• One And One Is Two
  • When it gets dark I tow your heart away...
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »

Remove - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Replace - The Inner Light (I'm really surprised to see that it's not included.)

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 08:09:36 AM »

Replace - The Inner Light (I'm really surprised to see that it's not included.)

Why surprised? It's not really an outstanding track imho or something history wants us to remember.

LovelyLennon.

• One And One Is Two
  • When it gets dark I tow your heart away...
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »

Why surprised? It's not really an outstanding track imho or something history wants us to remember.

The Inner Light is one of my favorite songs, and I think it's overlooked at times, too. Of course, it's my personal opinion. ;)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »

Remove : "Old Brown Shoe" and "The Ballad Of John and Yoko".
Replace : "She's Leaving Home" and "Blackbird' or "Happiness Is A Warm Gun".
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:29 AM »

I understand the argument for "Old Brown Shoe" being on there, it being a rarity and all, but I think "Back In the USSR" is better representative of the Beatles. Just my thought.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »

I understand the argument for "Old Brown Shoe" being on there, it being a rarity and all, but I think "Back In the USSR" is better representative of the Beatles. Just my thought.

True that.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

beatlesfan502

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »

I would remove "The Fool On The Hill" and replace it with "Hey Bulldog".
We All Shine On......

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »

I regard the red and blue albums as the beginner's guide / overview of Beatles favourites through the years, and so should include certain standard chestnuts perhaps at the expense of more obscure personal favourites....

with that in mind, I'd have to let Old Brown Shoe go I'm afraid, to be replaced by one that everyone has heard at one time or another: When I'm Sixty Four.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 12:22:47 PM »

If you could remove 1 song from the Beatles' compilation 1967-1970 and add another song (released sometime between '67 and '70) to the compilation, what would they be?

Here is the track list, as a reminder:

Disc 1
1.   Strawberry Fields Forever
2.   Penny Lane
3.   Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
4.   With a Little Help from My Friends
5.   Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
6.   A Day in the Life
7.   All You Need Is Love
8.   I Am the Walrus
9.   Hello, Goodbye
10.   The Fool on the Hill
11.   Magical Mystery Tour
12.   Lady Madonna
13.   Hey Jude
14.   Revolution

I would change like this:

1. Strawberry Fields (Anthology version)
2. Penny Lane (with trumpet ending)
3. Sgt. Pepper (reprise or Anthology version)
4. WALHFMF
5. Lucy (Anthology)
6. A Day In The Life
7. All You Need Is Love
8. I Am The Walrus (I'd ask George Martin to put a version only with strings!)
9. Hello, Goodbye (Anthology)
10. The Fool On The Hill (Anthology, take 4)
11. Magical Mystery Tour
12. Lady Madonna (Anthology)
13. Hey Jude (from TV broadcast)
14. Revolution

7 of 13

• Getting Better
too little, too late...
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »

strawberry fields forever
sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band
with a little help from my friends
lucy in the sky with diamonds
fool on the hill
magical mystery tour
hey jude
ob la di ob la da
don't let me down
the ballad of john and yoko
old brown shoe
octopus’s Garden
eleanor rigby
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:12:32 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Page created in 0.637 seconds with 85 queries.