Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Seven killed in attack on the Dutch royal family  (Read 2727 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Seven killed in attack on the Dutch royal family
« on: May 01, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »

Anybody seen or read anything about this?

Yesterday was Queen's Day, which is an annual holiday here. Every year the Queen and her family visit a Dutch town to shake hands with the people and participate in some folkloristic games and stuff like that. So yesterday they were in Apeldoorn and while they were driving through the town in an open bus, some madman drove his car through a crowd of people in an attempt to crash into the bus. He didn't make the bus as his window was so badly damaged that he couldn't see anything anymore, but he did kill six people, seriously injured eleven more and got killed himself. I saw it happening live on TV, it was really bizarre...

This is from the live broadcast:
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/485561/aa3abef1/aanslag_tijdens_koninginnedag.html

And some clearer footage...
But be warned, this is really shocking stuff. I'm not kidding, don't watch this if you're weak of heart, OK?
http://www.rtl.nl/components/actueel/rtlnieuws/miMedia/2009/week18/Thu12.ruwbeeld_apeldoorn.xml
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Re: Seven killed in attack on the Dutch royal family
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »

I heard about this.  This is strange and so sad.

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »

Man, that's depressing. I've always wondered what provokes people to do these horrible things.
15 minutes of fame on a local newspaper?  :'(
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:59:12 AM »

Quote from: 1657
Man, that's depressing. I've always wondered what provokes people to do these horrible things.

Apparently the guy recently lost his job and was about to lose his appartement. I guess he just went insane. You've got to be nuts if you think that you have any chance of killing a bus full of people by crashing into it with a small car without any explosives or anything. But unfortionately we'll never know what exactly his reasons were.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »

I couldn't play your clip. I took your precautions to heart, and was sure I'd be haunted by it.

I only wish people who wanted to kill themselves did it first, without taking anyone else with them. Let everyone make their own choice as to whether life is worth living.

So sad.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:03:06 PM »

Quote from: 1657

Something similar happened in Santa Monica (California) years ago.  There was a farmer's market going on, and the street it was on was closed off to cars.  However, some elderly man just drove on through the street and plowed through some people.  I think he killed both adults and children.  I'm not sure why he did it, but supposedly he blacked out or something and it just happened.   :(

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:29:37 AM »

Very sad indeed. It's a tragedy that there were so many innocent victims due to one man's actions.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »

Quote from: 551
I only wish people who wanted to kill themselves did it first, without taking anyone else with them. Let everyone make their own choice as to whether life is worth living.

Who knows what went through that guy's mind... Maybe he thought it would be better to be remembered for all the wrong reasons to not be remembered at all. Maybe he wanted to make people regret that they didn't take his problems more seriously. Maybe he just throught that shared sorrow was half a sorrow. Or maybe he was just too depressed to give a damn about anything or anybody anymore. We'll never know.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:42:51 PM »

Somehow I strongly doubt that the man really spoke some words after the crash.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »

Quote from: 63
Somehow I strongly doubt that the man really spoke some words after the crash.

Yeah, me too. And the photographer that make the first picture of him after the crash had his doubts too. But it's one police officer's word against someone who can't defend himself anymore.

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

But the police officers word made it an attack on the royal family. If the man really wanted to attack the royal family, why did he drive in a small car with no further explosives or anything else? I found this a very strange story, but everybody seems to take the policeman's word for a fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

Of course it could be that he just lost sense of reality and that he actually did believe that he could do some serious damage with that small car. And he did seem to be heading towards the bus, but he just couldn't see anything anymore before of the broken windshield.

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 66 queries.