Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 184559 times)

TheFoolOnTheHill

• One And One Is Two
  • He sees the world spinning 'round
Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #740 on: September 20, 2011, 07:31:24 PM »

I vividly remember (one of) the first time i heard the Beatles. Considering, I've listened to them my entire life, it's hard to remember. But, I remember a car ride to Disneyland hearing the song, "Wait" (one of my favorites now) when I was about three. That's as far back in my life as i can remember. I also loved listening to "Obladi-Oblada" as a child.

The sad part is, 9/11 was three weeks later and I couldn't even remember that.

The Beatles changed my life. Absolutely.
"It's all in the Mind you know!" --George Harrison
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #741 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:12 PM »

Hello there, welcome to the forum! Good to have new people around.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #742 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »

I vividly remember (one of) the first time i heard the Beatles. Considering, I've listened to them my entire life, it's hard to remember. But, I remember a car ride to Disneyland hearing the song, "Wait" (one of my favorites now) when I was about three. That's as far back in my life as i can remember. I also loved listening to "Obladi-Oblada" as a child.

The sad part is, 9/11 was three weeks later and I couldn't even remember that.

The Beatles changed my life. Absolutely.

Welcome to The Beatles forum TheFoolOnTheHill! I hope you enjoy yourself here, A SPLENDID TIME IS GUARANTEED FOR ALL! Take care.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #743 on: September 21, 2011, 01:43:38 AM »

Welcome to the Forum TheFoolOnTheHill!  Neat avatar!

And so, in your honor...

The Beatles - The Fool On The Hill - Remastered

I love that song.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #744 on: September 21, 2011, 02:41:02 AM »

Glad you found us FoolOnTheHill!

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #745 on: October 07, 2011, 07:07:24 AM »

Being five years old when they came over to America, I couldn't help but discover them...It's all anyone was talking about.

Elli

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #746 on: November 20, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »

I don't remember the first time I heard a Beatles song or something about them. The Beatles has always been a part of my life, because I'm so young my parents were teenagers in the 60's.  ;D So when I was a child, I always told everyone it's my favourite. But when I was about 12yrs I became a real fan of the Beatles and wanted to find out more about them and have every album. That's how I learned to read books in English, I wanted to read every book I found about them.  :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:07:03 AM by Elli »

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #747 on: November 20, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »

i got a book out the library called the greatest 100 lp's and Sgt.Pepper was #1 and it just so happened the landlord of the flat I was staying in, his flat, he had a copy so I played it and loved it. I thought it was so richly creative in so many ways and from then on I just started buying all the other Beatle and solo Beatles albums. I've never lost my love for them even in the yrs. when I only listened to the albums occaisonly. Before the net I was always reading anything to do with the Beatles. It's only in the last 4 yrs. I've started to listen to all the solo stuff, well Paul's mainly more than I used to and investigated the albums I'd not bothered with when they came out and have become even more of a fan.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

KelMar

« Reply #748 on: November 22, 2011, 03:40:32 AM »

i got a book out the library called the greatest 100 lp's and Sgt.Pepper was #1 and it just so happened the landlord of the flat I was staying in, his flat, he had a copy so I played it and loved it.

That's a good one to start with! Funny you should mention that because I was just thinking that last year at this time was when I got Sgt. Pepper. I listened to it while I was getting ready for Thanksgiving. I knew all the early stuff through Rubber Soul, thanks to my sister leaving her albums behind when she got married in 1968. I also knew The White Album because of my brother but I've spent the last year filling in the gaps and letting my life-long love of the Beatles turn into a hobby(or obsession, depending who you ask!)

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #749 on: January 30, 2012, 04:27:18 AM »

Hello Fab Fans! I'm a new member and thought this would be the most logical thread to begin my posting history on the forum. Although I grew up during the '60s, and was aware of the Beatles and liked their music, it wasn't until 1976 that I really had that "WOW!" moment.

I'd never seen any of their movies prior to '76 and it was during a "dead day" at school (9th grade) that my Social Studies teacher announced to the class that he was a big Beatles fan and "A Hard Day's Night" was being shown on the local TV station that morning so he was going to let us watch it with him. Two of my friends and I enjoyed it so much that when classes changed we convinced our next period teacher to let us continue watching it.

I enjoyed their wit and humor but was absolutely impressed by the quality of their music. That very weekend, I asked my mom to take me to the local record store and I bought the single AHDN/I Should Have Known Better from the "oldies" bin. It was on the Apple label with the cool black sleeve with the Apple script in green. So, not only did I absolutely love that single for the songs (and both sides, too!) but that label and sleeve were like icing on the cake for me. 

At the end of that school year my family moved to another state and my older sister soon had herself a boyfriend - and he just happened to be a Beatles fan. He had 1967-1970 and Rock-N-Roll Music on 8-track and those were the first two Beatles Lps I ever listened to - and I loved them.

Soon after, I bought 1962-1966 on vinyl and the rest, as they say, is history. So it was the "red album" that really sold me on the Beatles. Of course, like all good Beatlemaniacs, I went on to acquire all of their Lps (all of the U.S. Capitol releases and many imports as well), and most of their singles, over a relatively short period time.

Now my 14 year-old daughter is discovering the Beatles and she absolutely loves them. All I can say is that I am one proud and happy father!! She and I have such an enjoyable time when we ride in the car talking about the Beatles and listening to their timeless music. It doesn't get much better than that.

I'm looking forward to visiting here as often as I am able. Thanks for reading and take care!
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

KelMar

« Reply #750 on: January 30, 2012, 05:11:36 AM »

Quote from: Fab4Fan
Hello Fab Fans! I'm a new member and thought this would be the most logical thread to begin my posting history on the forum.

It makes sense to me! Welcome to the forum Fab4Fan.  :)

Bobber

« Reply #751 on: January 30, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »

Welcome aboard Fab4Fan.

LiverpoolPaul

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #752 on: January 30, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »

As the 2nd child born into a Liverpool family in 1964 It's fair to say that the Beatles discovered me.. I could of course have been christened 'Ringo' but thank God.. or iconicism (if that's a word).. that it never came to pass. Ringo is still not that welcome in Liverpool after his comments some years ago.. but at least he is not as notoriously shunned as 'The Sun' newspaper which has since by consensus been re-named by the majority of Liverpudlians as 'The Sun', but spoken with the addition of the letter 'c' (work it out for yourself) and by replacing the letter 'n' with an 'm'. Anyway, I digress.My elder brother was soberly christened 'Carl' (1961 might have been a good year for Carl Perkins??) Anyhow, my earliest memory of discovering the Beatles for myself was probably in around 1969, when my Uncle Cliff, (who could take on Paul Gambuccini if they were pitched head to head in a Beatles trivia competition) .. revealed to me the inner sleeve of the white album and I choked at how the fab four had fallen on hard times so much so that they couldn't afford a shave between them. 'That's not them!' I protested with images of the clean-cut, head bopping, hollywood bowl shaking 'Beatles' firmly enblazened on my sub-conscious..?? In a state of shock, I listened to selective tracks played to me from the the album of hairy Beatles and to be honest it was as if H.G. Wells himself had taken me in his machine and transported me from a different century. My uncle Cliff, sensing my state of dumbfoudedness, quickly lifted the needle from the vinyl on his Akai turntable and subtly re-wound evolution (or was it revolution?) to intoduce me to an less dramatic shape-shifting  genre of the beatles.. and to Sergeant Pepper. Now at Least with Sergeant Pepper they looked like respectable hairy lipped Bus Conductors with Circus suits.. Yep.. this sort of coincided with what I had seen on the Monkees TV show.. it made sense. Anyway, suffice to say, nowadays, I can listen to 'With The Beatles' or 'A Hard Days Night' probably less so than I can listen to 'Abbey Road'. So whilst Sergeant Pepper was for a long time my favourite Beatles Album, (Revolver took me over for a few years too).. I would probably say that over the last 20 years that 'Abbey Road' still gives me goose-bumps.. at whatever volume I play it.. and that George Harrison's 'Something' is probably the best crafted Beatles Ballad ever. Not necessarily the best song they ever wrote.. there are too many to mention... but, Hey, the Beatles are what they are.. prolific, extraordinary and inimitable (although I must say that I have recorded a few versions of several of their songs which have come pretty close).. :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #753 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »

Great stories!

Welcome to the Forum Fab4Fan and LiverpoolPaul.

I can stay till it's time to go

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #754 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »

Always like to read such beautiful memories.

Welcome to the forum :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

LiverpoolPaul

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #755 on: January 30, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

Cheers Kaleidoscope!  Hats off... that is one hell of a post count!
Always like to read such beautiful memories.

Welcome to the forum :)

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #756 on: January 31, 2012, 03:42:35 AM »

Thanks folks and fellow fab fans for the nice welcome!
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

KelMar

« Reply #757 on: January 31, 2012, 04:12:00 AM »

Now at Least with Sergeant Pepper they looked like respectable hairy lipped Bus Conductors with Circus suits..

Now that makes me laugh! Welcome to the forum Paul.  :)

wheelwatcher

« Reply #758 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »

Summer '76 (the hot one) BBC showed the films, one per week, 'cept MMT. Had previously seen a couple before when I was younger but now I was 14 and hooked for life!

marthagoesruff

• One And One Is Two
  • my dog he has 3 legs. no my dog really has 3 legs
« Reply #759 on: April 19, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »

FROM MY WIFE YEARS AGO. SWIPPED HER MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR CD AND WAS HOOKED
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Page created in 0.681 seconds with 85 queries.